Poll: If you had a choice, would you be asexual?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I have mentioned in several threads before that i'm a hopeless romantic. So if i ever had a choice like that then, GOD NO! I have a girlfriend who i love and whose love i couldn't live without. A romantic setting with the girl i love means much more to me than anything else.

So get ready to have your mind blown: I haven't had sex with her yet and she still means so much that i don't want to be asexual!

Snork Maiden

Snork snork
Nov 25, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
Snork Maiden said:
Greyfox105 said:
So the amount of true Asexuals/Nonsexuals may be quite low... I know of a few Demisexuals on here, but they tend to get grouped with us Asexuals/Nonsexuals...
Demisexual? I could wiki it, but asking you is much more fun :3
A person who identifies as a Demisexual is, according to Rabger's model, a person who does not experience primary sexual attraction but yet still experiences secondary sexual attraction. Primary sexual attraction being sexual attraction based on outward qualities such as a person's looks, clothes, or personality. Secondary sexual attraction being attraction to another stemming from emotional connection (usually romantic) or status or how closely the person is in relationship to the other.
And the source [http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Demisexual].
Ah righty. The more you know :3

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Already am. The idea of sex actually sickens me, and if it didn't utterly doom mankind, I'd have away with the whole thing if it was a choice. I can kind of get how people find others attractive, even if I don't see it myself.

As for kids, I could potentially see myself adopting MAYBE, but the "old-fashioned" way? Nope, no way.[footnote]And, "Man Falling Off Cliff": NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo...[/footnote]

But, everyone's different. That just happens to be me.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Monkfish Acc. said:
[
It's like having an overeager soldier that stands to attention at everything and goes off to the firing range by himself when you are asleep.
Best euphemism I've ever heard.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Oh lord no. Boobies are awesome, and so is sex. It's like the greatest stress reliever ever, and seriously guys. It's sex. Sure, losing your virginity is overhyped beyond all reason, but it's still freaking awesome.

And more importantly, my relationship with my girlfriend is like the best thing I've got going ever. So there's that.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
Thirdly, I don't really want to die alone.
Asexuals aren't all 'aromantic' as well. It's usually just a lack of physical/sexual attraction, they're usually still capable of feeling emotional attraction and falling in love.

They're perfectly capable of having sex too, but they need a 'better' reason for it - i.e. for the sake of a romantic relationship if their partner is sexual, etc. Most asexuals are just indifferent to the act, rather than actively averse to it. It just doesn't have the same significance or appeal.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Fuck no, sex is awesome, and if I ever find someone willing to live with me and have my kids, then that would be just dandy :D

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Yennick said:
People who consider themselves "asexual" or lean towards that as some kind of ideal are rather delusional. My guess is many of them are just throwing their hands up and walking away from something that they have a hard time comprehending the value of. I guess it's easy to get confused in a culture where you have people totally selling sex as some kind of "end all be all" of life and others who try to act like it is an "abominable sin" when performed out of wedlock.

Really though, I think they just haven't experienced or understood sex in a context that brings them pleasure. I've seen plenty of people who have claimed "asexuality" eventually topple head over heels into totally kinky sex and fetishy things like bondage after a long period of adamantly denying that sex is for them.

Sex is just a normal biological part of life. It helps to relieve stress to have pleasure in some kind of sexual form. Reproduction may be a product of sex, but it's not the sole reason why we do it. Humans (along with a variety of other species) enjoy their sexuality as a way to elicit pleasure and relieve stress.

It's doubtful I'd ever have children (seeing that most of my girlfriends that I've had have also been not very enthusiastic about that kind of thing). Then again, I'd never give up sex or my sexuality. Thank science for modern prophylactics and birth control pills!
Good post, there seems to be a bizarre number of people on here claiming to be asexual, and they all seem to be focussing purely on the negative aspects of sex and relationships in general.

I'd be interested to know if any of these supposedly asexual people have had any genuine opportunities to be with someone and turned it down, or if they've really just never had the chance.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
Nope. First off, I love kids, and can't wait to have a dozen or two of my own.

Secondly, I love boobies.

Thirdly, I don't really want to die alone.

Fourthly, I really love boobies.

Don't judge me.
Everthing I need to say on the matter is right here. Wise words.

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
tomtom94 said:
No, because I likies the boobies.

Also I'm enough of a sociopath as it is, I don't need a lack of sexuality to make things worse.
pretty much that as well and "you know what they say about men they likey the boobies."

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Yennick said:
People who consider themselves "asexual" or lean towards that as some kind of ideal are rather delusional. My guess is many of them are just throwing their hands up and walking away from something that they have a hard time comprehending the value of. I guess it's easy to get confused in a culture where you have people totally selling sex as some kind of "end all be all" of life and others who try to act like it is an "abominable sin" when performed out of wedlock.

Really though, I think they just haven't experienced or understood sex in a context that brings them pleasure. I've seen plenty of people who have claimed "asexuality" eventually topple head over heels into totally kinky sex and fetishy things like bondage after a long period of adamantly denying that sex is for them.

Sex is just a normal biological part of life. It helps to relieve stress to have pleasure in some kind of sexual form. Reproduction may be a product of sex, but it's not the sole reason why we do it. Humans (along with a variety of other species) enjoy their sexuality as a way to elicit pleasure and relieve stress.

It's doubtful I'd ever have children (seeing that most of my girlfriends that I've had have also been not very enthusiastic about that kind of thing). Then again, I'd never give up sex or my sexuality. Thank science for modern prophylactics and birth control pills!
That still infers choice in the matter. Some people will be alone for most if not all their lives, and not for lack of trying. In this sense a 'forced' asexuality, though I'm loath to use the word forced, as it implies that a person is denied relationships or sex because of perceived flaws in them by others. Less that, and more because they lack the confidence, or the opportunity never presents itself, or if it does they lose their chance because of their own inadequacies and fears.

Or on a more inexplicable note, that they don't -deserve- to have a relationship, or sex, or happiness.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Considering that I seem to have it under control, I don't get why removing the ability to have sexual pleasure would be helpful.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
I hate kids. I find the mostfulflling relationships are best-friends level. Personally, I haven't experienced it too much still, so wouldn't really know what to miss so... I guess it'd be okay. At least I wouldn't have friends waving "I'm getting ass all the time" over my head...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'm already asexual; seeing either gender naked fills me with disgust, rage, the desire to force them to shave all bodily hair (ALL OF IT), & to shower & scrub until my skin peels off ::pulls out hair & foams at mouth::

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Mimssy said:
I'm a very sexual person, so hell no.
I'll second this. Sexual and sensual, and I wouldn't give up either. :) Without TMI, I love the feeling of wanting and being denied, or wanting and being satisfied.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
No. I find, even if it doesn't succeed, life is much more interesting than it would otherwise be without sexual attraction and involvement; as much as it's brought on enormous, earth-shattering depressive episodes, I've been the happiest I've ever been in my life, in a state of pure bliss encompassing my whole view of the world, by the same involvements. I'd like to make clear that I'm not just talking about lusty bedroom matters there (on the ecstasy front), either, but emotions formed from a deep connection to the person(s) I was involved with at the time.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
GothmogII said:
That still infers choice in the matter. Some people will be alone for most if not all their lives, and not for lack of trying. In this sense a 'forced' asexuality, though I'm loath to use the word forced, as it implies that a person is denied relationships or sex because of perceived flaws in them by others. Less that, and more because they lack the confidence, or the opportunity never presents itself, or if it does they lose their chance because of their own inadequacies and fears.

Or on a more inexplicable note, that they don't -deserve- to have a relationship, or sex, or happiness.
Certainly, I've experienced that myself, in terms of the low self esteem and/or body image thing; it is still, however, in my view, a choice, from that point on, in terms of how one proceeds.

For long periods of time I certainly won't actively seek a relationship until I feel I'm ready for it (or indeed worthy of it, having not lived up to ideal of myself, rather than having a problem with the opposite, or indeed the same, gender in a sexual context; but I'm not saying I don't desire sexual contact, which may or may not be the case... a lot of the time, when I heard people describe their asexuality, to me it seems very much like a sort of OCD-cleanliness behaviour they've been conditioned, or conditioned themselves into.

However, I don't negate the possibility of a number of people lacking attraction to either sex, but the vast majority of what I hear seems to be... self-denial of one type or another.

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
I thought asexual meant you could reproduce with out passing sex cells, essentially cloning yourself. I learned that biology but apparently there's another meaning. Sex is fine with me. So no, I wouldn't become asexual, even though it would be cool to clone myself.

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
So, if you weren't lying when someone said "teenage dark mysterious type" this is a passing phase. No one serious says they want to be asexual, unless they have an ungodly desire to be anti-social, which is extremely unhealthy. Also, jumping on that "I love boobies" Band wagon.

And finally, as someone else said, this is a way to side step not getting a girl friend

Just like saying "I choose to be anti-social" Is an excuse for not having friends.

Whether you like it or not, you're an animal, and animals are driven by sex. Just because you're in this state is probably some form of self pity or something.