Poll: Illness

Esotera

May 5, 2011
So escapistians(TM), when is the last time you were ill, and what disease was it? Is it a regular occurrence and if so how bad does it get? How did you catch it, if you know?

I ask because I've fallen ill with something today, which is highly unusual for what is usually my impenetrable immune system. When I get ill it tends to come on quickly and go with in a couple of days, and generally be absolutely horrible for the duration. As for how I caught it, I blame the bus company whose buses didn't show up on time, leaving me to stand in the freezing cold for around half an hour both ways.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Normally, I'm a very healthy person and get sick very seldom. But for some reason, I got the flu last month, got better, and then got an almost identical illness last week, and I still have a little bit of a cough from that illness. The first one was due to standing out in freezing rain for fifteen minutes with almost no protection. This latest one likely came from a combination of a sick roommate and a horribly unhealthy diet (sort of unusual for me). I just hope this is the last illness I get for a while, because it is very hard to keep up with school and do well when I keep getting sick.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I haven't been sick for at least a year. I don't get sick often, but when I do it's usually pretty ugly. I've had a bad case of the swine flu one year, that put me out of school for a week. I've had a bad stomach virus, so everything I ate came back up. That was a week off school. In elementary school, I had strep throat about six times in two months. Some very painful shots put an end to that.

But in the last year I've been fine and dandy. :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The last real disease I had was pink eye about 2 or 3 years ago. And I had a fever of 40 °C last July. That's the most recent I've been sick. Ordinarily I'm pretty healthy.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I was sick over Christmas.
I almost never get sick, but when I do it's EXTREMELY bad.

I had the flu. The worst flu of my life. That's very probably the sickest I've ever felt. Worse than going blind from pain in my wisdom teeth, being crippled and unable to walk due to kidney infection, or food poisoning making me puke for a few days.

I got sick because I was working in a 30'x15' store with 10 employees and 600 customers for 10 hours a day for about a week and a half straight.
All of the odds were against me.
There was a super flu, and I apparently was NOT destined to avoid it.

Nooh

Mar 31, 2011
I'm sick right now with a common cold, they usually hit me pretty hard, but the last time I was sick was about a year ago, before that about 6 months and before that about 2.5 years. So irregular intervals, but fortunately it doesn't get me too often.

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
I work in a hospital, my job is rewarding but that place is a giant Petri dish and I catch every disease under the sun.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
For the past few years, I've been in a near constant state of "half-sickness". I feel generally sick and weak, but mostly don't have any extreme symptoms and haven't caught actual colds since this began. Don't know why. Possibly because of my bad sleeping habits.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Two years ago or more was the last time I was proper sick. Not counting half-sicknesses or anything. Had tonsillitis and it was painful as hell. Have gotten it a few times in my life and I often feel pain in my tonsils/throat, though I suspect it's related to my wisdom teeth.
If I recall correctly I got it after a party. Two of the girls there also got sick, so I assume one of them infected me.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
It is pretty rare that I am ill, other than the standard colds, but I don't count those as being properly ill.

The only time I've missed work/school cause of illness happened only a couple of weeks ago.

Apparently I have inherited one of the better characteristics from my mother, her migraines. Joy.

To make my post end in a less depressing tone: It only lasted half a day, meant I got to go home early and I invested in a medicinal Burger King, which actually fixed the problem #DoctorKing

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Last year, I think around April, I had stomach flu. It knocked me on my ass like nothing else I ever had. Even when I have regular flu, I can generally still like watch TV, play a game, and actually eat something. But with that stomach flu I couldn't do anything except lie in bed and drink water. I lost like 8 pounds in 2 days.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
I can't remember the last time I was properly sick...

No, seriously, I can't...

I daresay the best estimate I can make would be July of 2012... Since that was when I moved to a completely new climate in the middle of winter...

But, yeah... I basically never get sick... Well, never sick sick anyway... I get headaches all the time, but that's not sick, that's staring at a computer screen for too long...

So, yeah... My vote is "Puny mortal..."

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I used to get colds and flu really easy, and spend a week in bed each time. Then four years ago I had a really bad accident, I damaged all the ligaments and muscles in my right knee, sure I now have to walk with a stick (or a pimp cane!) but I haven't had a cold since!

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
16 years ago. No, seriously. I have had a cold or two since then, but nothing that made me stay at home. I remember because it was during the Winter Olympics in Nagano and I was supposed to sit my final primary school exams. When I got better I had to sit them all in a single day when you normally have 3 days. :/ Still got 547 out of 550, so it wasn't too bad.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
I can't quite remember last time I were sick. Probably in the spring months of 2013, somewhere. However, I'll probably become sick soon, since I'm jiinxing it right now.

Unsilenced

Oct 19, 2009
Are we talking only about, like, infectious illnesses, or do injuries, allergies, and other maladies count too? I don't think I've had anything actually caused by a virus within recent memory. Maybe a year or two ago?

I had a bad reaction to a medication though recently that felt like frickin malaria. It only lasted a couple hours, but I thought my skin would catch on fire, and this was in January. A couple months sooner and I might have actually combusted.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I typically don't get ill.

Sure I get a cold each year when it turns winter (Other people are really good at spreading illnesses!) but it's usually so mild that you can't even tell that I'm ill (I'll have a slight sore throat and produce more mucus but that's about it)

Last time I had a noticeable illness was way back when Swine Flu was a big thing, I caught that (Hooray for public transport and the it's inherent breeding ground for all kinds of illness and suffering!) and I was not having a fun time with that one... Main thing I remember was that I missed the finale of Masterchef Australia because I couldn't stay awake through it.

Sku1c

Jan 19, 2013
Unless the common cold counts, which mostly makes me look like i'm high 24/7... I haven't been seriously ill for 13 years or so.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I picked up a common cold during the holiday season along with the rest of my family.
Prior to that it's been at least 7 years.

It probably helps that I'm single, have no kids, and don't get involved in large social gatherings. However, much of that time I worked in a call center. Anyone whose done this knows that call centers aren't exactly lenient on sick days. When the common cold comes around it's not uncommon for me to be sitting around 2 to 5 sick people. Despite this, I never caught whatever they had. Go figure.

Sadly, my amazing immune system comes with a drawback. I suffer from frequent headaches several times a week. If I ever have a sick day, it'll be due to a severe light sensitive migraine and not because of traditional illness.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Uuuh, gee. I got sick just after New Years'. There we go, so put me down for 1-2 months.

Assuming that a cold counts. Otherwise... Nothing much apart from that. I get colds reasonably often, usually with a change of seasons. Had glandular fever a couple years ago. That was pretty nasty.