Poll: Injustice of the Permaban

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
everybody slips up now and again
This is the crux of your argument OP and as maddawg and others have pointed out, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. There are numerous users with huge post counts that have no infractions, it is clearly not inevitable that one will slip up every now and again. I myself have close to 8000 posts and no infractions. Eight chances (plus amnesty) is easily enough to learn not to insult people or low content / advertise.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
AstroSmash said:
I got a warning for calling someone princess. I don't get how assuming someone is of royal origin is an insult.
It depends on the context. Vault got banned for calling someone a cry baby using an image. If you called someone a "princess" in a similar context, then you would receive a warning for that.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, I'll post what I said in another thread

I feel like most insults are less offensive (I'm not even sure how some of these are even found offensive or considered insults) than the passing aggressive remarks stringent rules like these encourage. People won't usually respond with those words unprovoked and they're not always unjustified.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Its cute you think the banning system is worse now then it used to be.

From what I've seen since I came back, most of the post that get tagged for probation or banning are quite legitimate.

I remember when there was actually an underground group of individuals trying to get rid of mods because of what was getting people in trouble. Hell, I once got in trouble for the most non-offensive fapping joke ever. When I contested it, the mod replied:

'It's gross.'

Fantastic.
I remember I got this message attached to a probation warning, "Your lucky I don\'t suspend for that - don\'t post such things - a spoiler is no excuse ".

Consistency is a problem. I got probation for a picture of "Carnage Nun Migumi" as being not PG-13 enough on a site that regularly features ads that show similar amounts of skin on much more realistic characters. Similarly the tone of the site is often pretty jarring. It's simultaneously OK to call celebrities all sorts of horrible, terrible things, but accusing someone of possibly being "intentionally dense" got me modded for "attacking" a member. If Anita Sarkeesian made an account today, would all of the things people said before she joined suddenly be actionable?

Pretty much any crowd sourced notification system will do this to some degree.

On the opposite end, some members who were obvious trolls went unbanned for ages. The ones who rejoined under alternate accounts pretty much confirm that they were trolling the whole time. The warning bar system has helped this, but it still took a while for the infractions to add up.

Overall I'd give the site a B rating. Better than most, but definitely room for improvement.

I.E.
Offensive Posts
Please read what you wrote before you post it and think if anyone else could find it offensive
Is so vague it's practically useless. Anyone can find it offensive? Anyone can find anything offensive (or at least claim to) at anytime for any reason. Something like "majority of forum peers" or similar would be less vague, not great but better.

Hopefully no one on the entire internet finds this post offensive, or I'm in trouble.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
AstroSmash said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
AstroSmash said:
I got a warning for calling someone princess. I don't get how assuming someone is of royal origin is an insult.
It depends on the context. Vault got banned for calling someone a cry baby using an image. If you called someone a "princess" in a similar context, then you would receive a warning for that.
If you can't handle being called a cry baby or princess, then lock yourself in a room with enough supplies for the rest of your miserable life.

It's not the same as calling a gay poster a "fudgepacking unnatural pedophile"-an actual insult.
I would not take it personally if you called me "princess" or "crybaby" if I deserved it, (this is the internet and I expect as much.), but the practice of doing so is consistently moderated on this site. Which makes it a clear defined rule, as clear as something that is "low content" or "advertising" both of which are also consistently moderated.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
1: You aren't aware of the CoC.
You just HAD to use that particular abbreviation, didn't you *rubs temples*

Also, I recall getting a warning for "calling someone a troll" in a post where I specifically stated that I wasn't calling anyone a troll, just using a certain trope expression. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic]

Naturally I was cranky about that, but, ah well. I can't even remember when it happened anymore.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I can't say I agree. Most other sites I've ever been (even moderated myself) on don't have the 6 month thing, it's just a permanent record with maybe a bit of moderator-discretion.

Notable posters might well be at odds with people more, but that's no excuse for acting like an idiot. I don't understand lashing out in forum posts, it's not like a face to face conversation where you just blurt stuff out. You have to type things through and read them, it's not really an impulsive thing. Whilst I'm not the most controversial person usually, I've gotten into my fair share of disagreements and I have quite a few posts, and still I've only ever gotten two warnings, one of which is very old.

Having different opinions has no bearing on your conduct, it's perfectly possible to disagree without being a total arse about it, especially if it's not your first offence. If you're not going to bother trying to improve them you get what's coming.

I get that it's sad to see users you recognise go, but I'd be more annoyed if people were getting special exceptions. I think Sky said in a thread the other day that they were actually getting quite a lot of people complaining as to why Vault hadn't gotten in more trouble, and there was a lot of anger when she was actually banned. There's no way that the mods are going to please everyone, it's a pretty impossible position to be in, I sympathise a lot. They get a lot of stick for doing what they do, I don't really feel it's deserved. A lot of it just comes from differences of judgement, usually I can't really fault them for it.

Dec 14, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You just HAD to use that particular abbreviation, didn't you *rubs temples*

Also, I recall getting a warning for "calling someone a troll" in a post where I specifically stated that I wasn't calling anyone a troll, just using a certain trope expression. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic]

Naturally I was cranky about that, but, ah well. I can't even remember when it happened anymore.
Look, if you don't want to spend a minute with the CoC, that's your prerogative, I for one like to check in on the CoC every now and then, even think of ways that everyone can be happy with the CoC.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
DeadpanLunatic said:
AstroSmash said:
DeadpanLunatic said:
Maybe TheEscapist can start paying mods, so they have money for healthcare/excercise and healthy food so they don't have strokes so often.
Now tell me how that isn't attacking the mods. Please. Regale me.
Tell me how it is. Maybe tone down your passive aggressiveness a bit before you judge other people's posts.
Possibly by implying they are so incompetent brain damage is the only logical explanation you see? I'm passive agressive eh? Pot, meet kettle.
As an innocent bystander, it sounded more to me like he was implying the mods would have strokes due to the stupidity of some of the stuff people post here.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
AstroSmash said:
What about Danyal and Vault101? Maybe TheEscapist can start paying mods, so they have money for healthcare/excercise and healthy food so they don't have strokes so often.
Bad joke is bad. 10 points from Gryffindor.

In all seriousness though, perhaps you'd be willing to PM me or another member of the Red Guard instead of making silly jabs at our work. Who knows? You might see better results that way.
AstroSmash said:
maddawg IAJI said:
"Am I being am asshole?"
Works both ways. For posters and for mods.
When has a moderator ever been an asshole to you exactly?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Seriously. No one was complaining about this til a week or so ago.
When someone highly visible in OT dies the death of a thousand cuts, everyone starts going on about moderation.

Honestly, it used to be a lot harsher. No healthbar, probations being handed out at the least provocation. I think there even was a period when there weren't even warnings issued...

I have no issues with the way this place is moderated whatsoever.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Look, if you don't want to spend a minute with the CoC, that's your prerogative, I for one like to check in on the CoC every now and then, even think of ways that everyone can be happy with the CoC.
I am either going to profess unconditional love or clonk you over the head with a wrench or whatever else I might have handy.

I'm not sure which.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The only way you can get banned:

2: You try

3: You never learn from your mistakes
4: you talk bad about Scorpion King 3 when Marter's around.

He he he...
Don't ban me for that, the irony would tear this forum apart!

Nov 28, 2007
Look at my post count, look at my time joined. I have gotten 1 warning my entire time here, and that was when I made a low-content post when I wasn't aware of the low-content rule being added. It really isn't that hard to not be a dick.

And no, it isn't because I always go with the crowd and keep low, as anyone I've had a debate with about EA can attest to.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
GOOD MODERATION: The guy I reported gets a warning. Tee-hee!

BAD MODERATION: The guy I reported doesn't get a warning. Outrageous!

APPALLING MODERATION: I get a warning. Clearly there is a conspiracy against me.

Other than the oft-hazy application of the low content rule, there's little to complain about with the moderation here. It's not easy to moderate a forum of this size.