Poll: Is batman a superhero?

Foobula

Dec 26, 2009
tojawi said:
Foobula said:
tojawi said:
Terry fox Isnt a hero. He MURDERED MURDERED MURDERED people with cancer.
I would like to imform you that Terry Fox saved my life and many of my friends. Thankyou.
Let's See abo0ut thaT! HE DIEEEED! Before he finished, there fore raising cancers Morale, which increased the overall DEATH RATE! WHICH KILLED PEOPLE! MURDER MUDER MURDERMURDER!!!!!!
This forum is supposed to be about Batman. Please refrain from flaming and low content.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
You don't need powers to be a super hero. Especially not if you're THE GODDAMN BATMAN!

tojawi

Nov 22, 2010
Foobula said:
tojawi said:
Foobula said:
tojawi said:
Terry fox Isnt a hero. He MURDERED MURDERED MURDERED people with cancer.
I would like to imform you that Terry Fox saved my life and many of my friends. Thankyou.
Let's See abo0ut thaT! HE DIEEEED! Before he finished, there fore raising cancers Morale, which increased the overall DEATH RATE! WHICH KILLED PEOPLE! MURDER MUDER MURDERMURDER!!!!!!
This forum is supposed to be about Batman. Please refrain from flaming and low content.
AHA!! I CAUGHT YOU NOW!!! YOU You said Yourself THAT TERRY FOZ WAS BATMAN

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
He kicks criminal ass (pardon me) as good as any other superhero. So yes, IMHO he's at least in the same category as any other superhero, if not surpassing them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Darkgoosey666 said:
Right so after my geography exam and before my history one me and a friend argued about batman. She said he didnt have powers, so he was a regular 'hero' and i said by that logic iron man isnt a super hero, and that i will not stand for.

Anyway the debate snowballed until everyone and their dog had an opinion, so escapist, is batman a superhero?

BTW escapist, what the hell happened to my poll? there was a 'no' option!
Definatly. I think part of the problem is that people oftentimes forget that super heroes existed before sequential art. Characters like "Batman" and their gangster busting exploits were inspired by various pulp characters. DC used to stand for "Detective Comics" and Batman was a take on the popular "super detective" concept.

One thing to carefully consider is that just because the comics portray him as being a normal guy without powers, doesn't mean that's literally true. I mean this guy is supposed to somehow be a master of every field of human endeavor from Engineering to Martial Arts. Nobody could know or do all of the things that he does within a single lifetime. What's more despite being defined as a "normal person" the guy dodges bullets and stuff. The whole "body armor intergrated into the bat suit" thing is fairly recent. Back when Batman was first invented things like that weren't even seriously conceived of (I think Batman was created back in like the 1930s originally).

When your dealing with "Gadgeteers" understand that both Bat Man and Iron Man routinely ignore the laws of physics. Both of them are basically smarter than any scientist that has ever existed. Of course this is pretty typical for comic books in general (a lot of people are like that). There are versions of Batman where he has literally solved the mysteries of intergalactic travel, and apparently managed to kit bash a "Bat Spaceship" so he could fly from planet to planet alongside characters like Superman.

What counts as a "super power" is debatable, but in general I tend to think that the basic "Hero" in this context is someone who more or less conforms with what people can do in real life. Oh sure it gets ridiculously improbable, but it's vaguely possible. With Bat Man it's not even remotely possible, the guy can get a blood sample from a mutant, and then engineer a retro-mutagen in a couple of hours when in reality it would take teams of scientists a lifetime to do something like that.

Of course it can also be argued that there is no real differance, other than "super hero" being a trademarked term people have associated with a certain type of fantasy. The first "Heroes" I can think of are dudes from Greco-Roman mythology like Hercules, Achilles (from the Illiad actually) and similar characters. Nobody called them "super heroes", yet what made them heroic was the possession of freak powers, typically defined as coming from some kind of divine lineage or intervention. Hercules was part god, Achilles was dipped in The River Styx which made him invulnerable except for one part of his ankle where is mother held him (and thus it never got wet).

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
I say "sort of"
because he is a hero
but not a "super" hero because a "super" her implies "super" powers, which bat man has none

batman still rocks though I mean come on

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
It depends which batman. Batman beyond or original? For me...

Batman Beyond:Super hero

Original batman:vigilante

adderseal

Nov 20, 2009
Yep. He hates guns and never kills his enemies, so has moral superiority over criminals. It makes him much more 'super' than, say, the X-Men, who happily go around butchering nameless thugs (who no doubt have to support wives and children).
I still think Mr. Incredible's the best though.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
He's the single best comic book character ever (well, I suppose Butcher and wee Hughie are pretty awesome). He's the single best mainstream comic book character at the very least.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
Oh and on the "super" thing, it could easily be said that he has a "super" intellect, "super" detective skills, "super" combat abilities, or hell, even his tenacity is "super".

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
i would say a regular hero is like, i dunno, a dude who saves a drowning kid. a superhero, on the other hand, saves countless people everyday, has to deal with a cast of villains and supervillains, and uses unusual techniques to do it. so i guess batman is a superhero.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
Is he wearing tights? Yes
Does he have a theme? Yes
Does he fight aliens with his theme based armory? Yes.

...I'm gonna go with yes.

Feb 14, 2008
Batman is a superhero in the same way that super scientists are, by gadgets.

That means, if a .50 cal AP fired from a sniper rifle makes a snug little fit through his abdomen and then he will no longer be among us.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
You don't need super powers to be a hero!

Batman is totally a superhero in my books. His super intelligence, fighting prowess and general crime-fighting tecniques are all superhero qualities.
Hell, he even beat Superman!! I can't remember what series is was in, but I specifically remember my comic nerd friend showing me a book where superman got his arse handed to him by Batman.

As many others have already stated as well, by the logic of Batman not being a superhero, then Ironman isn't a superhero either.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Crimson_Dragoon said:
A superhero can be defined by his deeds and not his powers. Batman fights evil and saves the world, therefore he's a superhero.
What this dude said! I mean has he not defeated Super Villains such as Killer Croc, Poison Ivy and the Joker!? It does indeed take a super hero

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I remember hearing someone say that Batman is more of a "vigilante" than a superhero.