Poll: Is LoL's community really that bad?

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
HoN is infinitely more septic than LoL. Bad apples in either can be solved by bringing friends and using /ignore to fill in the blanks.

Agarth

Jul 14, 2009
Just like in every MOBA game, the community is terrible. Also if you play it, when your team starts raging prepare to lose. They start arguing, no one want to lane with each other, they ignore tactical orders... It's awful. Still fun once you figure out what your doing though.

But since we're on the topic of LoL... WHY'D YOU DROP MAC CLIENT RIOT? There was one brave soul single-handedly keeping the Mac client running, and then you throw his fine work out the window. You think that looks good for you Riot? No it doesn't. *Raging noises*

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
It depends. Like any gaming forum the ones you see the most of are the loudest and most obnoxious. In game, well you'll still have the occasional twat who's got a stick up his ass, but most of the time if you're pulling your wait or at least no overly bad you'll be fine. That being said I hate people who pick champions for the first time in normals and even more I hate people who go afk or drop.

grimgor42

Mar 15, 2011
Its not an entirely balanced game to begin with. Certain champion combos or just individual champions can be abused on a ridiculous scale that takes tremendous effort to counter for no better reason than the fact that they are playing as that champion. Also, it seems that every game I play has at least one person saying f*ck or noob on a constant basis, usually seeming to not speak english very well. Finally, it only takes one person doing bad to throw the match, which can be extremely frustrating to the rest of the team, which is probably what leads to alot of the hate. And when someone is winning, it's not uncommon for them to rub it in your face the entire time. So other than those things the game is fun :)

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Play with friends. That's really all I got, because yes, the community is pretty horrible.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Its just a few people giveing the game a bad name, personaly I have been playing on and off since beta and i have only seen a few people that were horrible to everyone. HoN on the outher hand tho.... Played in beta left because everyone was horrible went back when it was F2P 1 game some guy was bitching at everyone on the team for almost any reason at all and havent gone back

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
About half my games I'm teamed up with at least one asshole, who I have to mute. Granted, that one asshole isn't so bad if we're winning. Since I win about half my games, this means that on average I have to endure a raging moron roughly 25% of my games. You decide how bad that is.

I will say one thing - as bad as LoL's community is or isn't, DotA is worse. HoN is worse. Way worse. LoL is the least hostile MOBA community that I've seen. Well, except maybe Demigod's, but you need to HAVE a community before it can be good or bad... :p

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Generally if you're a noob, you're fresh kill. I've only played HoN, but the two communities are the same to me. If you're new and you test out a class and don't know how to play it, you'll be yelled at, people are gonna be pissed, and no one wants you on their team. No one gives you a chance.

But personally, since LoL didn't want to work for me for some fucked up reason, I can't speak for LoL. But from what I've heard, people who play LoL and HoN are generally mean, but you get some nice people willing to lend a helping hand. Honestly, I prefer Savage 2. No one's been a dick to me yet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
HoN's community at least ten times worse. I've got called a noob in my first HoN game... which was an unranked game titled "noobs only".

Photon987

May 27, 2009
I have yet to play one, single game of LoL that didn't involve some five-star bitching and asshole-ism.

Hell, I remember one game when I played fairly well, but in a way that was a little unusual for my champion. No sooner than the "VICTORY" screen pops up, a teammate slams me for being "the worst goddamn player he has ever fucking seen, for playing wrong," and the level 2 guy that was trying out a free champ for "being some know-nothing asshole that can't play for shit, seriously, just go die in a hole." Oddly enough, I actually did better than he had, so I guess he was just upset.

But yeah... When LoL works (read: you have a team of friends to play with), it really works. When LoL doesn't work, you have a mediocre game with a generally abhorrent community.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
It's not just LoL, it's all the DOTA types. HoN and DOTA are no better or worse. If you have friends that can teach you what the hell you're doing proper, it's a fun game. But since the games are about 45-60 minutes long, and a single mistake can cause a catastrophic snowball effect, the amount of rage in those communities is unmatched by anything.

If you can handle it and have thick enough skin, go for it. I can only compare it to Left 4 Dead. You can play it with random people, but it's a million times better with friends that won't freak out and ragequit over any little thing.
AC10 said:
HoN's community at least ten times worse. I've got called a noob in my first HoN game... which was an unranked game titled "noobs only".
Yeah, those servers are ALWAYS traps, never trust them. Those are just made so veteran players or mean spirited pricks can pick on newer players. It's not just a HoN thing.

Telasro

Apr 29, 2010
My basic opinions on the LoL community are summed up here: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20110520

Still a fun game, but it just seems like the community gets worse as the games get more competitive.

Un34rth

Mar 18, 2010
Third option.

I've heard time and time again that HoN and DotA are far worse. Generally there is usually one person in LoL on either/both teams that does all kinds of raging and whining. Also, smurf accounts (level 30's who got banned/want to troll noobs) are very common so your chances of playing with new players when you first start out are cut. Don't let this deter you from playing though, it's quite fun once you get into it, and there is always the mute/ignore feature.

My favorite type of whining is people who accuse you of kill stealing. To me, there is no such thing. Yes, tanks and support should try to give kills to their carries whenever possible, but things happen. It's a team game, you got gold for the assist, we got the kill, get over it. Right along with that are the people who wish to seek kills rather than progress down lanes. These are generally the players who will run off to attack one enemy player only to get jumped by the 3 in the nearby brush, and blame the rest of his team for not helping. Auto mute/ignore, continue game.

Also, don't play co-op games, unless you wish to test a new build or champion extensively in a sort-of game scenario. They tend to make you careless in live games and you'll have far more knowledge of basic game mechanics when you hit 30 and start playing better people if you avoid them. I wholly regret playing mostly AI games, but I'm making up for it slowly (just passed 150 wins with a couple nice victories).

Just my 2 cents anyway :)

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well seeing as not two games ago I had a person complaining about our team being a bunch of 'noobs' before the game even started... yeah, they have their moments. Mind you, the guy seemed like a total dick and kept complaining about every little thing. The other team said they were sorry we had to play with him.

So yeah, I've seen some dicks who whine and complain and call their teams noobs when things go a bit bad. I've also seen people call out others for not playing their character properly (often after the person did make a mistake though). But the vast majority I've played with generally aren't like that. They're mostly quiet except when coordinating and so go unremembered for the most part.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Yes, it really is. By far the worst online community I've found. However the game is good (certainly the best DoTA game out there at the moment) and my advice is : find 4 friends and have fun. Otherwise stay the hell away from the game because you will most likely end up breaking something out of frustration.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Oh you have your occasional "OMG COMMUNICATE YOU ****! REPORT SS! DO THIS DO THAT!"
And usually it's (not all mind you, it just strikes me as odd) a type of person playing either Ashe or Master Yi with 3 kills and 7+ deaths within 5 minutes of the game start.

It's almost as if they expect everyone plays the game at pro level sometimes. Which is funny, since they don't possess said skill level either.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Tanakh said:
I dislike the game and mechanics, not the community itself, that the account level affects anything but aestetics is unacceptable in a non MMO PvP.
30's don't go up against people lower than them, unless queued with people lower than 30. In which case you'll be match up against other un-even groups. Also, lower level's are compensated with bonus stats to make up for their lack of runes and masteries. And competetive stats (Ranked) are only based off of level 30's. If I'm playing Halo, an enter an unranked game type, I can get thrown up against any other rank. The very few matches of normal that are uneven (and I do mean very few) are made up for by the stat bonuses and the fact that you're playing an unranked (uncompetitive) game type.

And is LoL's community bad? You bet it is.

But I got a question for you. Can you name an online community thats good? Haven't there been attempted murderings over Counter Strike? Which online game can you log onto, enter 3 matches, and go without hearing a homophobic 13 year old or someone raging hard? It gets flak because its a free to play game. However, LoL's moderation seems to be fairly good a F2P game. Not perfect, but better than others I've seen.

You will run into assholes alot. Its part of the game. You will have people rage quit, talk shit, complain, etc. Its part of the online experience. To alleviate it, you either have to play in groups with people you know, or suck it up and accept that its random.

Logodaedalus

Aug 14, 2011
I've got the impression that you've been lucky and haven't met any off the typical A-holes yet, but once you get higher lv you will start to find people that presume that they are gods and think that they know everything about every single character. More importantly, if you don't do exactly what they want they will go beserk at you for losing them the game.

The main problem with the community is the 'Elo Hell' mentality, the "I'm realy good but my team mates keep sucking and now I've got a realy low Elo" idea (Elo is the ranking score btw).

But don't let this stop you, the game's realy fun and if the sorry excuses for human beings realy ruin it for you then you can always queue with friends.