Poll: Is Microsoft out?

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
My take on this is... they ruined their first impression so badly it might as well be their last for many. Is Microsoft going down? Of course not, there will be fans supporting it. However it's looking really terrible right now. Here's a mate's impression on the reveal.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
One of these days I will walk by Microsoft/EA's home office with a string with hundred dollars attached to it.
Then I will proceed to see them all running after it.
Hehe ...

Though my own opinion of this new generation is now high.
But I will not make an ultimate decision yet until I have more evidence to call the PS4/XB1 good or bad.
So ... time to wait until the rumors wear out or until I get more evidence.

Yeah ... my personal view isn't liking what it sees.
Yet my professional journalist view eagerly waits to see more.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
While I'm unsure about the fate of the console itself, I do know that the only money Microsoft will be getting from me this year is for the Windows XP copy that I'll be dual-booting my new gaming rig with.

Oh no wait, they don't sell those anymore. Guess I'll have to get them second-hand.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
The Xbox brand probably carries enough clout that it will do well initially.
Certainly better than the WiiU.
What you aren't taking into consideration is the Xbox crowd is basically the crowd of disposable games. There are more used games turned in for Xboxes then PS3s and wiis combined, at least you'd think that looking at the racks at any Gamestop. The 360 runs on the sports games, CoDs and Halos, after all. These games all become moot once their next iterations pop up. Knowing the crowd who is the most devoted to xbox is basically attached to Gamestop at-the-hip, it seems unlikely that the console will be as big a success as the 360. They basically called out their target audience and admitted upfront, "We are going to fuck you over, lol".

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
xPixelatedx said:
capper42 said:
It's not like my 360 is going to disintegrate as soon as I buy a new console.
Ok, I admit, I laughed when I read that. You do realize you made that statement about a console with the highest failure rate of any game console ever made, right?
I guess I haven't taken that into consideration, mainly because my Xbox has never had a problem. Didn't they iron out most of the problems after a few years?

Either way, my point was that although backwards compatibility is a really nice bonus, for me it isn't a deal breaker.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
They didn't really have backwards compatibility this generation either.
Other than a buggy emulator.
And I don't like the idea of used games. So the blocking doesn't really matter to me.

Still, it's unlikely I'll be buying any next gen console as my funds are starting to run low (I think), especially since I ordered an oculus.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
As much as I dislike the idea of the Xbone, it's way too early to call it a failure. I'm going to wait and see what happens when the consoles are out.

I'm definitely going to stay away from the thing though.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
I don't generally tend to pay attention to these sort of product launches; I prefer to let the launch happen and then read the autopsies, read threads like this and discover what everyone's saying afterwords. So far, I haven't heard a single thing about the Xbox One (which is a silly title) that I like the sound of. To compare, when Sony was talking about the PS4, there were some things that got me interested, such as their whole idea of streaming the libraries of the PS1/2/3. If they can pull that off, even if all they get is the big titles from the Playstation's history, such as the Final Fantasies, Metal Gear Solids, Silent Hills et cetera, I'll probably pick it up for that alone.

With the Xbox, all I'm hearing is that they're trying to make people pay for used, which is bullshit in my opinion. Hell, there's probably some very exciting ideas there, but all I've heard is negatives. A product launch is supposed to inspire interest and foster an intent to purchase. All this has brought is hatred. At this point, I'm more inclined to join the PS4 camp, despite buying the 360. Definitely a failure of communication if nothing else. Combined with Microsoft's disastrous Windows 8, and the next few years aren't looking too good for the old giant.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I hate to use such a morbid descriptor, but they're "dead in the water". They have absolutely failed this console generation. Even the Wii U will do leagues better. Even with Nintendo's huge Youtube mistake.

In fact, even as badly as the Wii U is doing, it is at least possible for them to pull out of it. The only way for Microsoft to record the XBOX is to completely scrap XBOX One DRM and make a sincere sounding apology. And even then, so much damage has been done they'll still be scraping the barrel. Harsh, but nonetheless true.

Sony would have to do something horribly, terribly stupid to not win this console generation by a landslide.
Tank207 said:
As much as I dislike the idea of the Xbone, it's way too early to call it a failure.
It is not too early to call it a failure. For what reason could the XBOX, at this point, sell even remotely better than the Wii U?

jabronipieeatin

Jan 6, 2013
i dunno for some reason the xbox one just isnt for me....seems more focused on things other than gaming....im a gamer i just want to enjoy great games with a controller in my hand not flailing my arms about like im in a mosh pit, definitely going to wait a year or two before getting a ps4 once the price goes down but for now im happy with my ps3 n gaming pc which has lots of games ive yet to play....i really do hope the xbox one does well though as competition for sony and nintendo can only benifit gamers

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:
It is not too early to call it a failure. For what reason could the XBOX, at this point, sell even remotely better than the Wii U?
Fanboys. Fanboys, and perhaps them pulling out an amazing "OHGODYES" level feature at E3 to make people forget all the negative press. No idea what that could be that doesn't involve a "press X to receive oral" button, but it could happen.

Mr. Happy Face

May 8, 2013
Zoomy said:
Fanboys. Fanboys, and perhaps them pulling out an amazing "OHGODYES" level feature at E3 to make people forget all the negative press. No idea what that could be that doesn't involve a "press X to receive oral" button, but it could happen.
There could be a button that summoned hot prostitutes to my door, and I still wouldn't buy this thing. Sooner or later, the prostitutes get boring, and you actually have to play games on the thing. And just thinking about doing that leaves me feeling dirtier than sleeping with the prostitutes.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
I don't think that the people that Microsoft really wants to target with the Xbone are really all that bothered by the glaring issues. Unfortunately for Microsoft, these people are probably likely to ask their more knowledgeable friends about the best console choice, if they bother to get one at all as opposed to a smart TV or a laptop, and they are almost certainly going to be recommended the PS4 in most cases, so they'll end up with that. Tech businesses especially can't afford to enrage early adopters, and there probably isn't any going back from those decisions now. Couple that with the cost of the Kinect either forcing Microsoft to try with a stupidly high price point or take a huge initial loss on hardware, and the only reason the Xbox brand should survive the generation is because Microsoft will subsidize it with the rest of their business.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Don't be ridiculous. No one expected backwards compatibility with the transition to x86 which is incidentally a brilliant move in order to make cross platform easier for developers and therefore making the Xbone a more attractive platform.

There is no lock on used games. Only a nominal fee so developers get a small cut. Stop exaggerating.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I'm not voting in your pre-determined poll full of suggestive answers. Not even the third option.

No, I don't think MS shot themselves in the knees. In fact, they know people will buy the games anyway. The same thing that worked amazingly well for the PS3; even though it had some initial complaints (I'm seeing a pattern here).

The Xbox One is going to be a great success. No matter how you think.

Relnik

Oct 5, 2010
Nobody knows the price right now, and besides if you think Microsoft is down and out then what the hell do you call Nintendo right now?

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I wouldn't declare it a failure considering always-on and used restrictions are apparently not a thing, but I do hope it fails to an extent anyway because of its willingness to make those widespread and accessible features. Can't be sure at this point. I mean, it's not even out yet.

EDIT: Oh wait, it requires online connection once every 24 hours, which is still a considerable obstacle to some people, and they're being shady about used games. So I don't know or care.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Just saying your 3rd opinion is slightly discriminating to great part Escapist community.

I think they failed but they got so much resources they will pull their heads out.
Tho... The voice commands wont be working regionally in Finland. Our accents are so different from each other, along with the words. Even though we speak the same language.

I am more worried of the localization of the consoles features, specially with all Hulu and Netflix restriction making it quite useless.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
EstrogenicMuscle said:
I hate to use such a morbid descriptor, but they're "dead in the water". They have absolutely failed this console generation. Even the Wii U will do leagues better. Even with Nintendo's huge Youtube mistake.

In fact, even as badly as the Wii U is doing, it is at least possible for them to pull out of it. The only way for Microsoft to record the XBOX is to completely scrap XBOX One DRM and make a sincere sounding apology. And even then, so much damage has been done they'll still be scraping the barrel. Harsh, but nonetheless true.

Sony would have to do something horribly, terribly stupid to not win this console generation by a landslide.
Tank207 said:
As much as I dislike the idea of the Xbone, it's way too early to call it a failure.
Dunno. If you have a spare TARDIS I can borrow, I'll be more than happy to let you know though.

I'm not going to pretend I can see the future when I know this thing could go either way. It could be a flop, or it could be the next Wii for all we know. Point is, we won't know until it happens.