Poll: Is Not Dating a Certain Race Racist?

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I would call that racist, yes. I assume the reason you wouldn't date a black person is because of the color of their skin, which is basically saying that you find certain aspects of that race inferior to others. This is not the same as saying, "I don't like girls with blond hair." Statements like that are rich with white privilege. Race is a much bigger part of who someone is than hair color

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Is it racist? Technically yes. Is it wrong? Not unless you don't date them simply because they are black. I generally am not attracted to black girls but it's more because of their natural body type. I'm not a fan a super wide hips and thick thighs, which is a common trait of black women. I have been attracted to certain black girls but they were more thin so that's probably why. And the accents, God the accents... ebonics is a turnoff for me (but so is the Welsh accent *shudder*).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
BlumiereBleck said:
Good god! People get upset over everything now! Who cares he who dates or if he even has a certain preference of dating a race. Who Cares?
Quoted for truth! I hate it when people get upset about things that I, personally, would not get upset about. It makes me so upset!
Stop getting upset! You're making me upset! Who cares what you think? I'm quoting you and responding and getting upset, but I totally don't care!

...Too many exclamation marks?

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
He might just not be in to black women, I don't want to date men doesn't make me homophobic.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Agayek said:
It's not racist in the slightest. Saying that you don't want to date someone who is black, or asian, or whatever else is simply saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me". That's all there is to it.
Actually, no. Saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me" is saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me". Saying you'd date anyone but a black person is not stating that.

It does not state a reasoning at all.

InvisibleMan

Mar 26, 2009
The answer is yes: any action you take towards a person, positive or negative, based on their race is, by definition, racist. It is not a matter of opinion, either... that's simply what the word means!

Flowen

Sep 10, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
thaluikhain said:
Shadowstar38 said:
"Happen to have" As in, race was not considered.
Yeah...no. You can't not consider race when saying that one race is unattractive.
"I don't like black hair"

*All black people become included in this catagory*

Suck on it.

Side note: the picture I picked however, may be unintentionally racist given the subject matter.
Eh, wrong. Some black people have blonde hair. Stop being either ignorant or racist please.

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/05/black-people-with-naturally-blonde-hair/

Checkmate, suck on it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Absolutely depends. If you don't want to date them because you don't find them attractive, that's really no different than me not wanting to date men because I'm a heterosexual male. But if you don't want to date them BECAUSE they are the race they are, that's racist.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
No. It isn't.

Here's the thing about me, though. I like women who are totally into bouts of immaturity and excessive cutesiness (baby talk and the like) and are also pretty nerdy and open-minded about most social issues. I also REALLY like soft, long hair.

These combination of traits is usually only found in one race group. It doesn't make me racist, it just means that not too many people meet my standards who aren't white. It's coincidental, as it is for a lot of people, and unfortunately they get labelled as racist.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Actually, no. Saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me" is saying that "the physical features typically associated with that race don't appeal to me". Saying you'd date anyone but a black person is not stating that.

It does not state a reasoning at all.
Hence the second half of my post about how it can be racist.

My whole point is that just because it could potentially be driven by racism doesn't mean that it necessarily is.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Flowen said:
Stop being either ignorant or racist please.
I didn't know this before this thread existed. That or have seen it before and forgot. And see? You haphazardly through out the word racist because you thought I was being offensive.

This is why I don't like something as trivial as this topic associated with the word.

Flowen

Sep 10, 2008
Kingbingo said:
If not wanting to date a certain race is racist then a dude not wanting to date another dude is being sexist.

Perhaps the better question is why give a damn, there is this instinct in a certain section of society to go around desperately trying to find and condemn 'racists' like its February 1692 in a town called Salem. Just relax guys, stop trying to burn the witch, sorry racist, by creating a problem where there is not.

As it happens my wife is of another race from me, and I have employees of all races for the simple reason that individually they were the right/ best qualified person for the job. But I would still be considered a racist under this BS because I don't find certain races attractive either.
No, it's really not. Sexual attraction isn't something that can be easily changed, and the sex you're attracted to is pretty much set from day 1. Now, I know where a lot of you are coming from, but you're phrasing things incorrectly and making yourselves racist by association.

Examples:

"I'm not attracted to black people." That's a racist statement. "black people" encompasses such a huge variety of people that it's not really safe to make such a broad statement without there being some kind of racist undertone.

"I'm not attracted to people with curly hair." That is not a racist statement. Not being attracted to certain features is a perfectly valid opinion to have, and you shouldn't be judged harshly for it. You're also not painting with nearly as broad of a brush as you are when using race as your defining feature.

Flowen

Sep 10, 2008
Shadowstar38 said:
Flowen said:
Stop being either ignorant or racist please.
I didn't know this before this thread existed. That or have seen it before and forgot. And see? You haphazardly through out the word racist because you thought I was being offensive.

This is why I don't like something as trivial as this topic associated with the word.
No, I said "Ignorant or racist". Please learn to read and understand. Since you didn't know about that prior to this, you were being ignorant. See, I was being nice and giving you an out due to ignorance, since I know that no one can know everything. It's okay to not know something and then change because of it. Hopefully you change from having learned this and stop using the uninformed statements you made earlier. You should probably also apologize to the person you told to suck it.

Also, I think you mean "threw" and not "through".

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Kaendris said:
rac·ism [rey-siz-uhm]
noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Read that, and then read it again if you think attraction to particular features is racist.

Can you even state that a person believes all other races they are attracted to are culturally or individually superior to the race they are not? Can you prove that they hate, or are intolerant of the race they are not attracted to?
Technically, yes. To not consider an entire race of people as a potential mate is somewhat intolerant. As in, the subject in question would not tolerate having a black girlfriend.

I'm getting tired of people bringing up dictionary definitions, pointing at them, and then accusing everyone of being wrong. This question the OP brought up is not about defining racism but about the appearance of racism in a remark such as "I will date anyone but black girls".

The problem here is not one of definition. It is a problem of context. The subject of the Opening Post is a man who will date anyone so long as they are not Black. This is not enough evidence to be sure that he is entirely racist. However, it is exactly the kind of thing a racist person might say.

Does that make him racist? It's hard to say. Does that make him sound racist? Most definitely. And in some places and times, sounding racist is all takes to be labeled a racist.

OT: What I'm really interested in regarding this thread is that nobody is asking "Is it okay to be racist when it comes to choosing mates?" Everyone sees the word "Racist" and immediately assumes the worst. Everyone has racist tendencies and thoughts. Should we deny, resist, or embrace these thoughts?

For example, I have racist tendencies towards Asians despite being mostly Asian myself. I'm not particularly attracted to Asian girls and I find most of them annoying either because they are submissive or because they are rude with no middle ground between the two. Does this make me racist? I believe so, but I usually keep that opinion to myself. It's just part of who I am and what I believe. As far as racist tendencies go mine are extremely tame. Just don't get me started on white people, though...

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
In most cases, I wouldn't say that person is racist just for being attracted to people that look one way or another.

HOWEVER, it does point to an interesting issue in terms of why that person is attracted to some races and not others. So some attraction/taste you're born with, but a lot is developed through experience and interaction. As much as we might try to argue otherwise, movies, models, and advertising play a big role in that. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone who was only attracted to white girls developed that taste largely as a result of the majority of "hot" women that TV and other media throws in our faces being white. So there is likely some racism/prejudice on the part of society at large in terms of defining what an "attractive" person looks like to this individual. Same kind of thing that leads men (and women) to believe that women should be ridiculously skinny and curvy at the same time.

So no, a person isn't racist for their preferences. But it is worth examining why their preferences are the way they are.

Kanova

Oct 26, 2011
mrblakemiller said:
I was on a feminist website
Oh, well there is your problem. Why the hell would it be racist? Not attracted to a certain race? Who fucking cares.

Robert Marrs

Mar 26, 2013
Flowen said:
Kingbingo said:
If not wanting to date a certain race is racist then a dude not wanting to date another dude is being sexist.

Perhaps the better question is why give a damn, there is this instinct in a certain section of society to go around desperately trying to find and condemn 'racists' like its February 1692 in a town called Salem. Just relax guys, stop trying to burn the witch, sorry racist, by creating a problem where there is not.

As it happens my wife is of another race from me, and I have employees of all races for the simple reason that individually they were the right/ best qualified person for the job. But I would still be considered a racist under this BS because I don't find certain races attractive either.
No, it's really not. Sexual attraction isn't something that can be easily changed, and the sex you're attracted to is pretty much set from day 1. Now, I know where a lot of you are coming from, but you're phrasing things incorrectly and making yourselves racist by association.

Examples:

"I'm not attracted to black people." That's a racist statement. "black people" encompasses such a huge variety of people that it's not really safe to make such a broad statement without there being some kind of racist undertone.

"I'm not attracted to people with curly hair." That is not a racist statement. Not being attracted to certain features is a perfectly valid opinion to have, and you shouldn't be judged harshly for it. You're also not painting with nearly as broad of a brush as you are when using race as your defining feature.
Lots of people have curly hair. Lots of people have lots of different features. If one race commonly has features they a person does not like its easier just to categorize it by the actual skin color rather than going through a laundry list of those specific features just because someone might consider it racist. That is the biggest problem I think our society has. Nobody can ever have truly honest discussions about race or sex because they are all so afraid of being labeled in a negative way even if what they say is not racist or sexist at all.

Wadderz

Aug 9, 2011
I would call it racist. However, if you extend the logic that refusing to date black people is racist then it would seem to follow that refusing to date members of a certain gender is sexist(?).

Flowen

Sep 10, 2008
Robert Marrs said:
Lots of people have curly hair. Lots of people have lots of different features. If one race commonly has features they a person does not like its easier just to categorize it by the actual skin color rather than going through a laundry list of those specific features just because someone might consider it racist. That is the biggest problem I think our society has. Nobody can ever have truly honest discussions about race or sex because they are all so afraid of being labeled in a negative was even if what they say is not racist or sexist at all.
Making "easy" (otherwise known as lazy) generalizations about race is a factor of racism. If it's too hard for you to be specific in describing something, you probably shouldn't be having the conversation.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Kanova said:
Oh, well there is your problem. Why the hell would it be racist? Not attracted to a certain race? Who fucking cares.
Yep, and this is why I called the OP out on misrepresenting the topic in his OP. Because he presents an inaccurate version of events, in which some poor beggar is stigmatized by a bunch of uppity feminists and PC nutbags for daring to have dating preferences.

The guy being discussed is against mixed race relationships (something about it making the girls involved "filthy"), compared sleeping with a black girl to committing an act of beastiality, said black people looked like "apes, monkeys and gorillas" and openly pondered whether or not whites were not obviously "the superior race" because they weren't "on a plantation picking cotton for 400 years".

OP, if you're curious, this is why removing HALF of the context of a discussion and then leaving the rest in is bad.