Poll: Is Not Dating a Certain Race Racist?

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
It's not racist if you don't find people of a certain race particularly attractive. It can certainly be highly offensive if you tell everyone this. Apparently, it pretty much depends on what people were around you as you were growing up as to who you find attractive. Racism is separate from who you find attractive - there were plenty of racist slave owners who raped black girls, for example, while publically pretending to be disgusted by them. Obviously that was probably mostly a power trip. But I suspect they weren't physically repelled by them either, for the most part. The other comments by the idiot who generated the controversy that inspired the original post in this thread, showed that he was racist. Especially comments about how "physical similarity to apes, made black people less evolved, but honestly I'm not racist". And his excessive pickiness about all manner of characteristics was laughable, because he clearly wasn't anything special himself. His hypocrisy was the funniest/stupidest part of it all imo, apart from the racism.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
No. I usually don't find black women sexually attractive, that doesn't mean I think they're ugly or that I hate them as peopple.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
If people of a certain race don't appeal, then they don't appeal, and that's all there really is to it.

Though I have to wonder, given that an entire race (especially if we're talking "black" or "nordic" or whatever -- I tend to think in narrower terms closer to nationality because if we go by race it gets muddy quickly) is a pretty broad group of looks; I've seen examples of attractive women from every race bar one.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
A man who would refuse a sentimental relationship with a woman with black or brown skin, or almond shaped eyes, "a priori" is a very superficial one who does not care for real love.

The more you get closer to the core of the racist problem of anglosaxon culture, the most people start to implicitly agree. That's why racism survives: people agree on it, but aren't as free to express it as they once were in the USA. Topic should be locked and OP banned.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Dryk said:
I love how this thread completely ignores that the guy the OP is referring to also said that he wouldn't date anyone who has had sex with a black man because black men look too much like gorillas and that's way too close to beastiality. Dude's racist.
Read more of the thread. People call back to him and his overtly racist statements all the time. The main point of the thread, however, is whether the stated idea itself is inherently bad, not whether it's bad because it sits in this guy's brain next to ideas of beastiality.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
beamofarael said:
As a black woman, a Yahtzee fan, and a long time lurker of Escapist forums (as well as other similar forums; I'm trying my best to spend as less time on the internet as possible these days), I try my best to avoid these sort of topics because they tend to bring out the ugly of people and hold little value. I would probably answer, yes and no, to a degree. Yes, because one has not met every single black woman on earth. Therefore, you lump all or most of them into the ugly box by default, which is pretty wrong. However, attraction-wise, no, because it could be a matter of location, experiences, lack of exposure and/or etc that could have hindered this. However, I can't help but notice a trend in these forums (particularly those associated with gaming, nerd culture etc mostly white or Asian male dominated) stating how they would date ANY race or attracted to EVERY race except black. It's always I've "never been attracted to black women" or "it's just my preference, and black women are not one of them" . It doesn't hurt me (because I honestly could not care less what makes one dick go up, and people like what they like I can't change that), but sometimes I can't help wonder to why that is?

Some would say it's their features--which I find hilarious. If you've ever visited any country in Africa or seen pictures of women from different African ethnic groups one would see a variety of features. From big noses to small noses to hooked noses, wide eyes to narrow, voluptuous to slim petite figures. I think people often have this "one-size-fits all" idea when it comes to people of African descent (you could say this happens to every race; however, it is still not the best way to go about things).

It could be a matter of location. I remember thinking that I would never have slightest attraction to [insert race here]. Then I've met more like minded people, went to a university, traveled more, and realized how wrong I was.

For black men who have seen black women for "all their lives" could be a combination of things (boredom, lack of positive exposure, bad experiences, etc). Yet, just because they have been around black women (sisters, mother, aunts) for all their lives, doesn't necessarily translate into being around EVERY black woman for all their lives (maybe you just have an ugly family? Jk hahaha). Your family, city, school is just a micro to the macro.

Then we have the media (which could also go into location), where we are often seen as sex objects with an army's amount of children from multiple "baby daddies" or overweight strong-black-independent-neck-rollin'-don't-need-no-man man eating machines ready to chew you up and spit you out. Good luck trying to find a black woman who doesn't hold these stereotypes or portrayed as desirable on a popular show (Dee, from BSG? But she didn't have much of a character. Kerry Washington from Scandal maybe? (I've never watched Scandal before)). I was about to set account just to say in this thread, "In before the 'I'm not attracted to black women because it's my preference' posts". These threads tend to get old real quick, and usually contain little perspective from the person being singled out or "discriminated" against. So I thought I would be someone to add some sort of dimension to the thread instead of the back and forth "you're racist, you're not racist" argument. (I could even make a similar statement about Latinas, since the way Latin culture treats race is far different from what many are used to . Also many Latinas could look black, white, or in between. They do not always look like Jessica Alba, J.Lo or Michelle Rodriguez, but that's another can of worms.))

To be quite honest, you will never know where your attraction will lead you. I have gay friends who even felt attracted to a female at some point in their lives. Attraction is abstract, I wouldn't go as far to say one's attraction is racist, but they definitely shouldn't limit what their attraction truly is. It's a journey, but your journey, not mine's. If someone finds themselves truly not attracted to black women or women of dark complexion so be it. Less time wasted from the both of us.

Those are my 2 cents, and I'll get back to lurking.
Thank you very much for your 2 cents. I hope you speak more, because your comment was measured and intelligent. You mentioned the media, which I think has been sorely overlooked in this thread. I was in a bookstore a few weeks ago and decided to check the magazine racks to see how many white women versus non-white women were on the covers. I found Oprah on her magazine, and about two more black women on magazines specifically for black women. It hit me then in a way that it never had before: "I've been conditioned to associate "supermodel" and "most beautiful woman in the world" and other ideas of physical attractiveness with "white skin" and "Caucasian race." Gave me a lot of pause, which led to me asking this question.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
No it's not. You are allowed to have preferences when it comes to what you find attractive and fuck anyone that says you're racist/scum/disgusting if you don't find every race in the world attractive.

Now, if you don't like a certain race because of stereotypes then that's a completely different story.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
DugMachine said:
No it's not. You are allowed to have preferences when it comes to what you find attractive and fuck anyone that says you're racist/scum/disgusting if you don't find every race in the world attractive.

Now, if you don't like a certain race because of stereotypes then that's a completely different story.
That is the entire point. I hope you do realize quite a few people in this thread have already stated some very harsh stereotypes about why they will not date a different race.

I have read much of this thread and a lot of it made me sad quite frankly. But there are a few people here that prove humanity is not quite doomed yet.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
kaioshade said:
DugMachine said:

That is the entire point. I hope you do realize quite a few people in this thread have already stated some very harsh stereotypes about why they will not date a different race.

I have read much of this thread and a lot of it made me sad quite frankly. But there are a few people here that prove humanity is not quite doomed yet.
Oh I've read through this thread a bit and I've seen these people. Always going to be a few asshats that think stereotypes are a defining factor about the entire race.

I being a mexican am supposed to be lazy, spanish speaking only with a strong pride in Mexico or whatever when I am none of these things. Or I'm supposed to like tacos.. well I do but tacos are delicious so F u racists!

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
I wouldn't call it racist. The difference between races is primarily how they look, and not liking how someone looks is seen as a valid reason not to date them.

Is is shallow though? Hell yes.

beamofarael

Sep 29, 2013
Thank you all. I get really nervous when typing these things out because I do not want to be seen as a b**** or throwing a pity party, but unfortunately, that's the reality of it, especially living in a very Western society.

There are some posts that I find interesting such as the comparison of someone dating a particular sex. Does that equate to being sexist? This may sound silly and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what holds the difference between dating a certain sex (just a reminder sex does not equate to gender) as sexist vs dating a certain race as racist is that one is more socially constructed than the other. With sex, regardless if the relationship is heterosexual or homosexual, there are many bodily/biological factors (i.e. testosterone, estrogen, pheromones, and all that gushy stuff)that attracts towards that particular sex. Of course, there are social constructs if add gender in there, but if we're specifically talking about sex, it's usually just boy or girl. When it comes to race, I think as biological as it can get is that people are often times more attracted to what looks similar to them. Which plays a small or heavy factor in skewing your attraction depending on the person. To me, race is more socially constructed. There has to be a heavy societal pressure enforcing what is desirable and beautiful to determine racial preferences. As you said, mrblackmiller, with the magazines, being heavily exposed to white women as the standard beauty for a heavy span of years (and it's still recent in Western media that we have had other women ethnicities in a positive lime light); it would easily come as natural to see other races as 2nd best, less attractive, or just not attractive at all due to lack of exposure or negative images. A good example of that ignorance is:

pearcinator said:
I don't think it's racist...apologies in advance if I offend anyone with my comment.

I don't find dark-skinned women attractive. The few exceptions are people like actresses Thandie Newton and Zoe Saldana. I think it might be because they have "white girl" bodies.

Most dark women have different body shapes...shapes that I don't really find attractive.

So no, it's not racist if you're not attracted to a certain race. Sorry if I sounded like a racist but I thought I would share my opinion anyway.
It's funny how people do not know that all women (regardless of complexion or race) come in all shapes, sizes, and all sorts of curves. I'm dark-skinned and 120 lbs! Goodness, I must be a walking paradox?! Hahahaha (and just a side note, some "white girl" bodied dark girls: Janelle Monae, Inna Modja, Deepika Padukone, Naomi Campbell, Frieda Pinto :3 )

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
It's not racist to only date or not date people from particular races.
It kind of *is* racist to say you won't even consider a particular race. To me, that suggests you have a prejudice against them.

Summary:
Saying "I have not dated/been attracted to people of X race" = Fine.
Saying "I will not date/am not attracted to people of X race" = Probably not fine.

The Danger

Jun 13, 2013
I'm just gonna go ahead and say...

Insisting that someone has a certain skin color before you'll consider dating them is pretty much just like insisting someone has a certain eye or hair color: it reflects a certain shallowness and superficiality on the part of the person making the demand, and more or less gives conclusive proof that he or she doesn't understand what a healthy relationship is.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Ok story time.

I'm a member of another video game site, although I hardly visit as much as I used to (I need to do that). On that site there is a thread for "Hottest Chicks" as well as one for "Hottest Guys". I posted in both, and would post pictures of men and women of all races that I felt were attractive. I had no issues in the "Hottest Guys thread" (outside of it being distracting in the best sort of way). Being a video game site the number of members who are sexually attracted to men were slight, so the forum participants were just happy to have another poster. There were, however, two main reactions in the "Hottest Chicks thread". To touch on what others have said about how it may be exposure that limits who you find attractive, a lot of guys were surprised that I was able to find examples of attractive women who were not white. (Of course my sources were different than theirs) For the most part the reactions were positive and it even encouraged other posters to post pictures of non white women that they felt were attractive themselves (before then the pictures were like 99% White girls)

On the negative side there were people who felt that separate threads should be made. These were the ones who were not attracted to women who weren't White. Which wouldn't have been an issue if not for their complaints(not that all of the posters who weren't attracted to non White women complained). When I first joined the site there was a thread for "Hottest Asian Chicks". Since I started posting some posters felt that there should be a thread for "Hottest Black Chicks" or "Hottest Latinas". Some even admitted that my posts were ruining the experience for them. Which, yeah, not every person is going to be attractive to you. That's a given. But to whine about it? There is a big gap between not your type and fugly.

It was the combination of selfishness (It wasn't their personal thread and it wasn't as if I didn't also post White women..I don't know why they couldn't just appreciate the girls they thought were hot.) and open disgust for anyone not their type that rubbed me the wrong way. The majority on that site felt that it was a stupid idea. Unless the "Hottest Chicks" thread was gonna be renamed to "Hottest White Chicks" why bother? So that idea was quickly dropped and slowly but surly the complaints stopped as well.

end story time.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
DugMachine said:
kaioshade said:
DugMachine said:

Oh I've read through this thread a bit and I've seen these people. Always going to be a few asshats that think stereotypes are a defining factor about the entire race.

I being a mexican am supposed to be lazy, spanish speaking only with a strong pride in Mexico or whatever when I am none of these things. Or I'm supposed to like tacos.. well I do but tacos are delicious so F u racists!
Was about to say half way through reading your post. Who doesn't like tacos? It's sad how racist stereotypes seem to be associated with some rather delicious foods.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
th3dark3rsh33p said:
DugMachine said:
kaioshade said:
DugMachine said:

Was about to say half way through reading your post. Who doesn't like tacos? It's sad how racist stereotypes seem to be associated with some rather delicious foods.
I'm not a fan of tacos, never had a good one though I think, I just find them inferior to tortilla based methods of food delivery.
Love me some fajitas though, so wonderfully easy to make and so damn tasty. And enchiladas...mexican is probably my second favourite archetype of foods (Italian being no.1, Indian a close 3rd, proper Indian is damned good).

In think the problem is the statement incorporating all women. It may not be intentional but it is written as such, if its intended to be about all women then its racist:
rac·ism
/ˈrāˌsizəm/
Noun
1. The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
2. Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.
Believing all black women share the same characteristics and being prejudiced (pre-judging, making a judgement before knowing) against those characteristics is obviously racist and fortunately obviously nonsensical. Not all black women are the same, that's obvious but a lot of people seem to be missing it.

Regardless, if the statement doesn't intend to transmit the idea that all black women are the same and is just saying "I have yet to meet a black woman I find attractive" then it isn't racist (though it is a shame that such an individual has met so few people).

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
mecegirl said:
On the negative side there were people who felt that separate threads should be made. These were the ones who were not attracted to women who weren't White. Which wouldn't have been an issue if not for their complaints(not that all of the posters who weren't attracted to non White women complained). When I first joined the site there was a thread for "Hottest Asian Chicks". Since I started posting some posters felt that there should be a thread for "Hottest Black Chicks" or "Hottest Latinas". Some even admitted that my posts were ruining the experience for them. Which, yeah, not every person is going to be attractive to you. That's a given. But to whine about it? There is a big gap between not your type and fugly.
Holy cow, that's amazingly racist. I hope those posters calling for "separate but equal" hotness threads got banned.
No banning, but since the majority felt that it was a stupid idea they backed off. And well..a discussion about how adamant they were about there preferences ended in the normal way. Lord forbid anyone admit that their actions/suggestions are racist..They don't hate minorities! So of course their suggestions are not racist! Never ever in a million years!

In the end folks settled for a "If you don't like what is being posted stop complaining and post someone you think is hotter" law, with an "We all know that she's too hot for you to score with in real life so stop being so picky on the internet" amendment.