Poll: Is Russia in Europe or Asia?

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
sabbat said:
Snownine said:
Ah, the wonders of a totally arbitrary system of defining continents.
That's the problem. There doesn't seem to be a CLEAR definition of exactly what constitutes a continent.
Yeah, I know in some parts of the world it is taught there are 5 continents and in others that there are 7.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
MaxMees said:
Snownine said:
sabbat said:
Snownine said:
That's the problem. There doesn't seem to be a CLEAR definition of exactly what constitutes a continent.
Yeah, I know in some parts of the world it is taught there are 5 continents and in others that there are 7.
Where teaches 5?!

This guy I went to High School with grew up in Chile as a kid and said that is what was taught there. I don't know firsthand.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Demented Teddy said:
It's seperated from Asia by mountains I think.
Except the whole other 90% of the country yes... The poll has to be the stupidest excuse at humor and..polling i have ever seen.

crazyguy668

Jul 15, 2009
its culturally europe, geographicly mostly asia. Americas national geographic association says europe

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
IN MOTHERLAND, MEN DO NOT DECIDE FATE OF COUNTRY. COUNTRY DECIDES FATE OF MEN.

...er, yeah. Sorry. Anyhoo... resident Russo-American checking in to let everyone know that Russia is arguably the only continent that can be called "Eurasian." Parts of it are in Europe, parts are in Asia, and if you count all the wee little states that are nominally separated from the former USSR but still exist pretty much in Russia's perpetual shadow, it becomes even more spread out.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
MaxMees said:
Snownine said:
MaxMees said:
Snownine said:
sabbat said:
Snownine said:
Where teaches 5?!
This guy I went to High School with grew up in Chile as a kid and said that is what was taught there. I don't know firsthand.
Blimey, what continents did they not get taught about?

I don't know for sure but I would assume they combine some like the Americas and Europe and Asia. Again It is just something I heard from one guy so who knows.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
MaxMees said:
Nobody seems to be paying attention to my comments.

Eurasia is NOT a continent, it is a TECTONIC PLATE.
Europe and Asia are not separate continents due to politics, race or anything like that.
They are separate continents for the same reason that North America, South America, Antarctica, Australasia and Africa are continents, because they are all land masses.
Maybe no one is paying attention to you because you're wrong. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurasia]

About the "Not a continent" part that is. There's no disputing that there is a Eurasian Tectonic Plate.

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
MaxMees said:
The Eggplant said:
IN MOTHERLAND, MEN DO NOT DECIDE FATE OF COUNTRY. COUNTRY DECIDES FATE OF MEN.

...er, yeah. Sorry. Anyhoo... resident Russo-American checking in to let everyone know that Russia is arguably the only continent that can be called "Eurasian." Parts of it are in Europe, parts are in Asia, and if you count all the wee little states that are nominally separated from the former USSR but still exist pretty much in Russia's perpetual shadow, it becomes even more spread out.
Russia is a country and all of Europe and Asian could be called 'Eurasian' because it's all on the Eurasian Plate. Eurasia isn't a place per se.
Oh good God. I referred to it as a continent. Oh blimey, that's embarrassing.

Anyways, I'm not thinking in terms of plate tectonics so much as geopolitical boundaries. "Asian culture" and "European culture," inasmuch as those two regions can be said to have single defining cultures, are fairly distinct, and Russia--along with the states that broke from it with the collapse of the USSR--is arguably the only country that manages to bridge the cultural divide.

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
Geographically it's in Eurasia

Culturally Russia generally is more European than it is Asian though their deinetely is a mix culturally based on it's location

Veleste

Mar 27, 2010
Russia is kinda part of Russia. It's not in Europe, not really asian. Russia makes it's own rules and doesn't mind booting someone in the face if they don't agree :p The eight continent.

Reg5879

Jan 8, 2009
Russia is part of Europe, if you watch the Euro on Football (Soccer), Russia are part of it, so they are part of Europe.

Aug 17, 2009
The place that was originally Russia is all in Europe, most of Eastern (Asian) Russia was absorbed into it after the nation was established.

But, as-is, it is in both continents, but all of its administrative areas are in Europe, so I'd say it's Eurasian, but mostly European.