Poll: Is Russia in Europe or Asia?

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
MaxMees said:
To be honest I trust the geography department of professors and lecturers over a Wikipedia page. Also you can't exactly call me wrong when the article uses the phrase 'Often considered'.
Sure I can, your stalwart adherence to a false technicality is certainly wrong. Besides, even if you were correct Russia is without a doubt entirely contained on the Eurasian plate.

Furthermore you may notice that the tectonic plate is not in fact called "Eurasia", it is invariably called "the Eurasian plate".

And quite frankly, I rather doubt that the geography professors of any half-decent university will steadfastly insist that Eurasia is not a continent except on a semantic basis.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
According to my map, part of the country of Russia is located within European bounds and part of it is within Asian bounds. Therefore, assuming that a country is within and continent that it is located at least partially within, Russian is Europe and Russia is in Asia. Logically, this means that: Yes, Russia is in Europe or Asia, that is true.

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
Russia is in Russia, just like Australia is in Australia. Some places just deserve their own continent.

On that subject, when the hell are they finally going to go ahead and make Ireland a continent, I mean it clearly needs to happen.

EDIT: Voted 'Europe' though because thats where I feel its important past primarily resides.

Silent Eagle

Mar 11, 2010
Russia is part of Asia. The majority of the continent of Asia,as far as I'm concerned,they're asians.
Google map search "russia" and see for yourselves.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Surely it's large enough to its own continent?

I mean, it's actually bigger than Europe.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Kathinka said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
Kathinka said:
dude, it's the states..thinks i have encountered over there that people thought:
Sure, that would make complete sense. Only except the original poster is from Ireland, so that's what puzzles me.
okay, now that threw me off track. i did no even bother to look to be honest, i just jumped to conclusion^^

then his teacher most likely just massively sucks.
I don't do geography, it started as an argument in my school year (they are idiots).

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Actually its amusing when I don't know a basic fact on a subject i don't do and everyone assumes I'm American.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
Ninjamedic said:
Seriously I don't know. I asked all the geography teachers in my school and they couldn't answer.

Can the escapist help?

EDIT: Yes I am shite at geography, how did you know?

See the mountains that are marked as the "Ural Mts"?

They are where the official border between Asian Russia and European Russia are. Siberia is the Asian side, in case you were wondering.
I really feel like an idiot at this point.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
What a funny thread. And here I was thinking that even geographically challenged people have internet and maps and google earth.

But OP, it's understandable you didn't know this (although you could've looked at a map), but your teachers? WTF? Do they even have a degree or whatever?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Babitz said:
What a funny thread. And here I was thinking that even geographically challenged people have internet and maps and google earth.

But OP, it's understandable you didn't know this (although you could've looked at a map), but your teachers? WTF? Do they even have a degree or whatever?
Zeeky_Santos said:
Ninjamedic said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Ninjamedic said:
Seriously I don't know. I asked all the geography teachers in my school and they couldn't answer.

Can the escapist help?

EDIT: Yes I am shite at geography, how did you know?

See the mountains that are marked as the "Ural Mts"?

They are where the official border between Asian Russia and European Russia are. Siberia is the Asian side, in case you were wondering.
I really feel like an idiot at this point.
Don't it's your teachers who are the dumbasses.
Like I said don't do geog. but yeah, the teachers are idiots. I just got arguments over the right answer. So I turned to the escapist.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
part in europe part in asia, however what most intrigues me that russia has a bit of land between lithuania and poland, which makes it more in europe then any other reason

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
It's in both. About two thirds is in Asia, and the other third in Europe. It just seems to have more to do with Europe than Asia because of the geography between it and China.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Evil the White said:
Ninjamedic said:
It's in both. About two thirds is in Asia, and the other third in Europe. It just seems to have more to do with Europe than Asia because of the geography between it and China.
If I had to give a one word answer, what would it be then?

JupiterBase

Feb 4, 2010
uh Russia is a nation that hold land stretching from Western europe to the Far East. Its crazy. the Urals seperate eastern and western russia