Poll: Is Russia in Europe or Asia?

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Evil the White said:
Ninjamedic said:
Evil the White said:
Ninjamedic said:
It's in both. About two thirds is in Asia, and the other third in Europe. It just seems to have more to do with Europe than Asia because of the geography between it and China.
If I had to give a one word answer, what would it be then?
One word answer: both.
But if I had to pick one??

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I think some of their main cities are in Europe, but most of the land is in Asia. To answer your question though, like Turkey, it's in both.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Roughly a third of the Russian Federation is in Europe, up to the Ural Mountains. The rest is, geographically, Asia. Around two thirds of the population lives in the European portion. The Russian Federation is also part of the Council of Europe.

Culturally, Russia has become progressively more European for several hundred years, but there are, and always have been Asian influences; many words used in bureaucracy derive from Mongolic languages, a number of well-known Russian writers names derive from Turkic, and at various times it was fashionable to assume a more or less Asian or European identity, amongst the nobility. Throughout the modern period of Russian writing, from Pushkin onwards, basically, there's been shifting emphasis from the Eastern, as in Lermonotovs "A Hero of Our Time", or Mayakovsky's "Scythians", to the Western, largely Francophone salon-culture of Pushkin or Blok's circles.

Especially amongst the Nouveau Riche, at the moment, there's a culture of conspicuous consumption of European fashion goods and so on, rather than buying domestic Russian brands, whch generally look exactly the same.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Don't give a one-word answer. It's not exactly impressive, and as I say, even the Russians debate over their cultural identity.

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Technically, it's in Asia, though I don't think Russians like it if you call them "Asian"

Daipire

Oct 25, 2009
I believe in the majority, and the majority of Russia is in Asia.

If you say "But the important things are in Europe!", well, everything is as important as everything else, you capitalist pig.

Undo

Mar 26, 2009
MaxMees said:
Eurasia is NOT a continent, it is a TECTONIC PLATE.
Europe and Asia are not separate continents due to politics, race or anything like that.
It does depend on how you define continent, which really just means a connected landmass. Only Africa, Antartica and Australia are clearly continents of their own. N/S America, Asia and Europe aren't, as they are counted individually due to political, not geographical reasons.
Splitting Europe and Asia is purely based on historical terms.

But hey, debates about that have been going on for decades, if not centuries. ;)
I guess there'll never be 100% truth, so it can range from anywhere between two and seven continents.

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Then it would be technically wrong to say either just Asia or Europe.

Because it's the largest country in the world, it may as well be its own continent, and is generally reffered to as such because od its sheer size. But in geographical terms, it is in Europe and Asia.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Geographically- Both, but mostly Asia

Socially- Both, but with most of the population east of the Urals, European

Politically- Both and neither at the same time.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Both. It's on the Eurasian tectonic plate and is located in both the continent of Europe and the continent of Asia. Most of the territory of Russia is in Asia, but I think most of the Russian people live in Europe. I think of it as a European country because the Russian culture is mainly European but I can imagine that there are plenty of Asian cultural influence in the large part of it that is in Asia.

Oh and what's with the "yes" and "no" answers? They make even less sense than the "Uranus", "Uraretard", amd "Valve ROOLS!!" choices because at least we know they aren't supposed to be serious answers. I don't even know what people would mean when they put "no" as an answer.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
regallmighty said:
It is in Asia, that is how i lerned
You lerned well.

Sorry I couldn't resist. I understand its probably just a typo on your part but still, the opportunity was to great.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
It's in both. Most of the country itself is in Asia, but that's all Siberia, so the majority of Russians like in Europe. At least I think so.

Culturally, they're closer to Eastern Europe than Southeast Asia or the Middle East though, obviously.