Poll: Is stealing the other team's vehicles in competitive multiplayer cheap/unfair?

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
Stealing their vehicles to secure victory is cheating. So is filling the enemy with bullets.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Fijiman said:
Generally speaking, no it is not. Of course it's annoying as hell when it's your shit that's being stolen, but it's generally not cheap. Although, in Halo, it can be really unfair when the enemy team has managed to get all of the power weapons and/or vehicles and are camped in areas where either they can easily spawn kill your team or is really hard to get them out of. It also doesn't help when half your damn team quits because of that.[sub]Bunch of bastards. Too afraid to lose a single stupid match.[/sub]
Forgot about that. BTB can sometimes be a 20 minute death-fest where you spawn and die.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
To quote Dr. Rajesh Koothrappali, "there are no rules in hell!"

So I don't think it's unfair. If winning is the primary objective and doing something helps you win, you should probably not be objected to doing it.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Nouw said:
Forgot about that. BTB can sometimes be a 20 minute death-fest where you spawn and die.
Tell me about it. You know the one map on the large island with the large mountain on it? I would almost always get put on blue team and red team would almost always camp the crap out of the mountain so that we couldn't leave our stupid base. It was mostly because of that one map that I stopped playing BTB altogether.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Fijiman said:
Nouw said:
Tell me about it. You know the one map on the large island with the large mountain on it? I would almost always get put on blue team and red team would almost always camp the crap out of the mountain so that we couldn't leave our stupid base. It was mostly because of that one map that I stopped playing BTB altogether.
I think they may have changed that so the mountain is a out of bounds zone but don't quote me on it.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Fijiman said:
Nouw said:
Ugh, that fucking mountain. Another case is Boneyard where no-mans land quickly turns into a graveyard consisting of an entire team. Those fucking Banshees...

You know you're fucked when there's a massive party of high-ranking players who just love to grief.

Nick Davidson

Jun 17, 2011
DJ_DEnM said:
Hardly. It means that your team should watch the vehicles better. If it was stolen from your base, then your team is probably bad. I mean, it's not MGS, it shouldn't be too hard to notice a sneaking enemy.
If it was stolen from our base in bf3:rush the enemy shouldn't be in our spawn area.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
clippen05 said:
I think they may have changed that so the mountain is a out of bounds zone but don't quote me on it.
Hell if I know. It's been so long since the last time I've even played Halo that I don't know what they've changed.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Nouw said:
Ugh, that fucking mountain. Another case is Boneyard where no-mans land quickly turns into a graveyard consisting of an entire team. Those fucking Banshees...

You know you're fucked when there's a massive party of high-ranking players who just love to grief.
In my opinion, a large number of the people who are inheritors/reclaimers/forerunners are nothing more than a bunch of douchebags with no lives. I always hated it when the enemy team consisted of high ranking assholes whereas my team mostly consisted of idiots, half of whom probably only got the game a week before then.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Fijiman said:
Nouw said:

In my opinion, a large number of the people who are inheritors/reclaimers/forerunners are nothing more than a bunch of douchebags with no lives. I always hated it when the enemy team consisted of high ranking assholes whereas my team mostly consisted of idiots, half of whom probably only got the game a week before then.
Having a high rank is no crime but using your skill to ruin someone else's fun is.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I don't consider it cheating just really unfair (if it's in their base, if it's out in the open it's free game).

If one whole team has tanks and just drives around in them it makes the game not fun. If all your doing is shooting guys when they spawn or dying upon spawning, the game gets boring very quickly. I personally don't like vehicles in multiplayer for that reason.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
No. On the grounds of "I don't see the enemy team's name on that wraith tank"

I always took it a step further in Reach's Speed CTF by nabbing the enemy tank in and blowing up their other vehicles.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
It is NEVER cheating when the actions are done within the restraints of the game itself, aka no hacks. That's why abusing glitches and bugs are considered fair until the developers themselves fix it. That's why the Noobtube, one of the most infamous ones, are still fair considering the game, which has about 2 sequels now, has never considered removing it.

EDIT: As for the difference between unfair and cheating. One is going against and beyond the game's laws and borders while the other is subjective and up for useless debate.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
It's cheap from the game mechanics standpoint, in games where you insta jump in an out of vehicles you can just troll people massively because they can't defend from it.
But if you rebalanced this with an appropriately long animation or a sequence where you hack/bust open the vehicles which would give the opposition time to respond then it is perfectly fine.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Why is it cheating?
You are displaying initiative, and turning the enemy's advantage against them.
I think that shows skill, rather than cheapness.

theblindedhunter

Jul 8, 2012
It's a... valid tactic, though I wouldn't say it isn't cheap or unfair. Some tactics just aren't nice.
I think it is always good that servers allow people to change up the rules, though. Personally, I would tend to play on servers that have that restriction.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
clippen05 said:
... I've always thought that this was completely fair game as the enemy either abandoned their vehicle and gave the other team the privilege of risking their lives to repair it if neccesary and commandeer it. Because someone gave that opportunity away is it not fair to exploit this? ... I also apply this to flying over the enemy team's base and stealing air vehicles because again, they are letting you take that opportunity, there is risk involved and if the other team doesn't stop you than I believe you earned it.
Oh man. My brain is reeling.
I've not touched BF3, but you're giving me flashbacks of BF 1942 and BF2.

You're asking two questions, so I'll give you two answers.
In the first case, if the vehicle has been crashed/spent/abandoned, then the more foolish they are for not finishing it off. They left it, its yours. Bon appetit.

In the second case. No, that's not cheap or cheating. It is however, solid evidence that EA - or whoever it is that they have chained to their desks designing the crappy maps now - still have no sense of what balanced gameplay is. It only takes one grunt breaking through to the opposing force's base, who then steals armor and shreds half the OpFor with munitions that are labeled "Made in OpFor-tania". Typically each base area is so enormous that it would take half of the opposing force just to prevent incursions. Generally it is also a symptom that the Opfor team commander is not ready for prime time, and its squads are disorganized or non-existant. Its frustrating, maddening, and it is pure joy when you are the one dishing it out. It's called "harassing the enemy", its perfectly fine, and its probably why I don't play those games anymore.

clippen05 said:
What do you think?
What???
Didn't you just ask me that? Where's Te'alc?

(Sorry, you made me think of that.)

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Recently I've been playing Battlefield 3 a lot and not only have I come across this but, I've done it myself.

It's certainly a cheap tactic but the enemy team has every oppertunity to either take the vehicle, be it helicopter or jet, or shoot it down with those powerful Anti-Aircraft guns (which can be found at each deployment area for either team).

When I steal vehicles I only steal helicopters (I'm the worst jet pilot in histroy :/ I'm so bad I can't even intentionally fly into other vehicles) :(