Poll: Is your first Final Fantasy your favorite?

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I played ff7 a while back and it was pretty cool but I cannot remember anything that happened in it. Later a friend told me ff8 was like his favorite game so I played it last year and my mind was blown. The story was so good compared to games from today. Its probably just me and a minority because rubs me the right way. Like how Squall can be a typical loner douche but then when has his monologs you find that he's got motives like a real person.

And then the "Squall is dead" theory blew my mind again, along with all the other hidden symbolism hidden in the game that goes with its ever present themes like mortality and time and relationships that adds more meaning to the whole game.

Basically, I like ff8 because you can learn from after playing and reflecting on it. Not a lot of games or movies do that anymore. Its why I made faceless Squall my avatar.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
My first Final Fantasy was just that. Final Fantasy on NES. My FF gaming order is as follows:

1 - FF 6
2 - FF 4
3 - FF 12
4 - FF
5 - FF 13
6 - FF 7
7 - FF 10

I didn't much care for the rest and have never played FF8, 9, and 13-2.

Savo

Jan 27, 2012
No. The first I played was XII, which was alright, but it couldn't match even the flawed FFXIII. It was a decent game, but it got tiring to play thanks to an average story and an overpowered gambit system (later on in the game).

Tyrant55

Sep 3, 2008
Yep. Like you, OP, my first and favorite Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy X. However, Final Fantasy IX comes REALLY close and I only played that one for the first time a few months ago (played X when it was released).

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
7 was my first final fantasy but i picked up the ps1 port of number 6 and had a blast out of that many years later so i cant really decide...loved playing the hell out of both of em

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
So, what was your first Final Fantasy, and is it your favorite?
No, although it was close.

My first FF was FF8.

Not my first Square RPG mind - I played Xenogears and Parasite Eve first (and loved both).

FF8 was... okay.

Then I played FF7. It remains my favorite.

FF 10 is in my top 3 FF games as well, just FYI. Playing FF 10 first doesn't make it your favorite - FF 10 being a damn good game is what does that.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
My first FF was VI but the first one I played to completion and is still easily my favourite is VII. Later I went back to VI and loved it (dont know why I got bored on the first playthrough and ditched it) and its now my second favourite along with X then IV then the rest then II which was a piece of garbage.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
scorptatious said:
Well my first Final Fantasy was VII. And while that game was great in it's own right, I can't say it's my favorite.

No, that honor goes to the second Final Fantasy game I've played. Final Fantasy IX. One of the best games I have ever played. I'm thinking of starting a new playthrough sometime this summer.
I think I'm going to agree with this. I love VII very much and it's probably my second favorite one (it was the first one I played), but I think IX beats it out in terms of overall quality. Although I prefer the soundtrack in VII.

But then, most people would think my opinion is invalid because I liked XII as well.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
Nope, it was good it not my favorite. The first I played was VIII and it was really fun probably in my top 3 FF games but my favorite is easily IX, it was truly unique and one of my all time favorite games.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I started with Final Fantasy 1 and although I do love the game, it is not my favourite. That would be Final Fantasy Tactics or Final Fantasy XII that are in my favourite category.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I don't remember what my first was (maybe X), but I've been playing XIII-2 lately and think it isn't receiving the attention it deserves. Other than a few things that could be improved on, it's pretty great. I especially love the Historia Crux mechanic, and plot in general. It's got side-quests, puzzles, mini-games, collecting monsters, multiple dialogue options, about 8 paradox endings (and you can do them all since the story is based on time travel), etc, etc.

The biggest problem for most people will be the auto-battle, but if you think about it, a lot of turn based games have you spamming one button anyway. And the tactics are with the paradigm system.

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
Technically no but yes is what I voted. I played FF7 to FF9 when I was to young to appreciate them and as such my first serious Final Fantasy was FF10 which is evidently my favourite of the series.

An interesting note is that this pattern isn't the same with Zelda as OoT is my first but Majora's Mask is my favourite.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
I don't remember which was my first (it was on SNES, i think), but FFVIII was my favorite.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
scorptatious said:
Well my first Final Fantasy was VII. And while that game was great in it's own right, I can't say it's my favorite.

No, that honor goes to the second Final Fantasy game I've played. Final Fantasy IX. One of the best games I have ever played. I'm thinking of starting a new playthrough sometime this summer.
I think I'm going to agree with this. I love VII very much and it's probably my second favorite one (it was the first one I played), but I think IX beats it out in terms of overall quality. Although I prefer the soundtrack in VII.

But then, most people would think my opinion is invalid because I liked XII as well.
I think your opinion is perfectly valid.

Well, probably about as valid as mine as I also liked XIII. :p

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
My first was Final Fantasy VII, and whilst I still believe that to be the best, my favorite, and my favorite game period, is Final Fantasy VIII.