Poll: Isn't crying about the deceased pointless?

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Kirex said:
I understand that being sad about dead people has its right to exist, as you can never see someone again you maybe liked or loved. It's just there to relieve the stress of bearing with that.
You answered your own question. We cry because WE'RE sad, because we won't have the pleasure of that person's company anymore. We'll miss them.

Your question begs another - you say that "crying won't help them" but... when does crying ever help anything other than making the cryer feel better? That's crying's function - to allow the person crying to express and vent their sadness.

Case in point - if you have a fight with your sig other, crying afterwards doesn't make the fight go away. It doesn't lead to a discussion. It just allows you to be sad about it.

If you're asking why we feel sad after someone dies, then again, see above (missing them). If you're saying that sadness serves no function, then A) it is a very important psychological coping mechanism and B) people who don't feel sadness are sociopaths. Possibly high-functioning, non-homicidal sociopaths, but still psychos by definition. (note - I'm not including people who hide their sadness or disguise it - those people still feel sad, they just don't wish to admit it. You're only a sociopath if you feel nothing).

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
It's an emotion we can't help it and it's a very important emotion, it makes us want to prevent further loss.

oblivionenigma

Jun 2, 2009
When I was a kid, I cried if I didn't get what I wanted. I cried when I lost something I liked a lot. When I was a teen, I cried when I lost the love of my life. I cried when I felt an utter loss of control over my life.
As an adult, you know what, I can honestly say I am quite similar. I lose something dear to me, I may cry. It's particularly bad when it's someone close to me--even if it's just them going away for a while. Add death to that, and...well...the finality of the loss in death is horrifying. Even if you believe in an afterlife, you're looking at perhaps YEARS without ever seeing the person again and even then you have no idea in what form you'll see them. I think, if there ever was a reason to cry, it's to cry over the loss of a loved one

I also find that I can be deeply moved by the prospect of others' sorrow. I see others going through a horrible time struggling with the loss and it tears me up inside too. Sometimes, then, I cry over a death not because I've lost someone, but because I know other people's lives have been thrown into shambles.

Does it have a literal, practical, application? Perhaps not (one may argue inter-personal connection, stress relief, etc as some have here). But most other emotions are pretty worthless on a totally practical level too. Love makes you do such stupid things, one could argue love is actually counter-productive and to be avoided entirely.

Incidentally, people talk about "this culture" as somehow emphasizing mourning. We emphasize mourning over tragedy here in America moreso than many other cultures (I can't stand how, sometimes decades after an event we're still mourning and commemorating it). However, many other cultures have much more elaborate and hysterical mourning processes after a person dies (screaming, bizarre rituals, hiring mourners, hysterics...). Interestingly, Americans often seem remarkably subdued at funerals by comparison

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Intellectually, yes, mourning for the dead is kind of pointless, but mourning is an emotional thing and emotions are rarely what we'd think of as logical.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Kinda, here, allow me to share these epic words:
[HEADING=1]He's dead, Jim.[/HEADING]
Despite popular opinion, humans don't really cry about the deceased, they cry about the life they have to lead without them. It's all egoistical, but then again so is breathing.

And no, i did not read the OP.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I don't think any of your options quite fit what I feel. Is crying over the deceased pointless? Not usually... and here's why.

Crying is part of the grieving process. Once you're able to accept your loss and the tears come, you have to let them out. If you just shut the pain away and don't bother acknowledging it emotionally, then you'll probably never truly recover from the experience (not that you can completely recover, but you can return to normalcy).

However, if you DON'T know them, then I don't see the point. I guess I'm just not that empathetic.

ThreeWords

Feb 27, 2009
I doubt there's much logic; people cry due some sort of instinctual felling along the lines of "I have been permanently separated from someone important to me" rather than as a conscious act of catharsis.

Deadlyveggie

Apr 14, 2011
Objectively speaking, crying does serve some purposes. Though most of it's related discourse is wishy-washy bullshit.

For one, it's an effective kickstart to the grieving process; think of it as the antithesis to denial. Secondly, a surprising amount of endorphins are released when crying, helping 'clear' your head and allowing your head to feel it's made a psychological reaction to sadness.

However, as a cultural obligation it serves only the purpose of face, which is ludicrous. For some reason people assign special qualities to a dead person that they weren't given during life, thus you are OBLIGATED to feel sad and revered if you don't shed a tear or so.

If I ever had any hassle as a funeral I remained dry-eyed at, I'd just tell them crying is a stress reaction that gives me no benefit, and that I grieve in different ways.

qeinar

Jul 14, 2009
Alexias_Sandar said:
If it helps you grieve and heal, then it's a good thing. Crying is an effective way for you to help get grief out and helps clear your mind and body.
well thing is it doesn't really help everyone, and people have no right to call him heartless for not crying at a funeral.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Kirex said:
Now before you go all "evil wannabe-manly guy" on me, please listen:

I understand that being sad about dead people has its right to exist, as you can never see someone again you maybe liked or loved. It's just there to relieve the stress of bearing with that.
Still, that begs the question:

Except for you(and people you're crying with) maybe feeling better, does it make any sense? It surely does not reverse the situation or anything like that, sometimes I even feel like it's really stupid to do that, because the dead person surely wouldn't want you to be sad, so why the hell do we do this?
Why do we almost mandate that people must be sad when someone dies? And yes, it's also a cultural thing to a point. If I am not crying at a funeral(which doesn't mean I didn't love them) then everybody calls me out for that and calls me heartless and the like. Why do we continue this trend in culture? Your parents almost teach you that you have to be sad, and case in point, it would also be sad for people without that, yes, but not that sad. It's just like getting angry at certain things, it's also a part of the education how strong you react to something, so why do we make it worse than it actually would be?
Is there good cause to cry? Of course, there is a presence in your life that helped define who you are, and gave you a consistent experience for which you can never truly get back. That's major. That's lamentable. That's really all there is to truly lament on, though I'm being overly broad.

Should people be considered heartless if they don't cry? Absolutely not. That is simply a cultural standard, many other cultures actually CELEBRATE when someone dies, sometimes because they think they've got to a better place, but mostly they celebrate the previous existence of said individual.

Now if you feel nothing for this person that did all of these things for you and helped you define you life, then yes, I think definitionally you are a heartless person in the metaphorical sense.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
So being emotional is OK but crying is not...
And crying is an extension of what?
I'll give you a hint, the answer is in the first sentence.

Timmons

Mar 23, 2010
well, we really can't help it if we do.

if your mum died, you would still probably cry, it may not have a point but you would still do it, its just a natural response

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
The only person close to me that has died would be my grandfather.
I didn't cry, but I haven't experienced people who are very close to me dying.
I don't know if I'll cry if a close family member dies, but I have a hunch that I won't.

WhatIsThisIDontEven

Jan 18, 2011
As for pointless, will crying change anything? No. So I guess it is "pointless".
Yet, I feel that it is unavoidable. Basic human emotion. I would cry if my mom died.