Poll: IT'S A TRAP! favorite game traps.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Glaceis said:
Hmmm... never thought anyone would eat the beads... roll a survival check to see if they are toxic. Ha. Pretty good though. I would let you pass, maybe die due to poison or ripping apart your colon, something like that. But yeah. Good job. I also Would have accepted the empty bag only. The black birds would have flied away, anyones left would be dead black birds. I had an odd way of thinking.
My character worked for ten years as a child as food taster for the king and has developed the iron stomach feat as the king was not well loved. I have to work that into his actions whenever possible or people will think that Hull "Iron Guts" Melphor is not serious player character.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Glaceis said:
Hmmm... never thought anyone would eat the beads... roll a survival check to see if they are toxic. Ha. Pretty good though. I would let you pass, maybe die due to poison or ripping apart your colon, something like that. But yeah. Good job. I also Would have accepted the empty bag only. The black birds would have flied away, anyones left would be dead black birds. I had an odd way of thinking.
My character worked for ten years as a child as food taster for the king and has developed the iron stomach feat as the king was not well loved. I have to work that into his actions whenever possible or people will think that Hull "Iron Guts" Melphor is not serious player character.
My my, what a loop hole. I guess if you put it in your backstory before hand, I would have allowed it. Funny story. The ninja of the group took all the torches from the top of the tower, knowing they were magical and place them in his backpack next to 24 goblin grenades... The had to return because the didn't complete the tasks at hand and well, upon entering the room the torches lit... man, I didn't see that one coming but I had a blast. Nobody else found it that funny though.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
MasterOfWhaEver said:
It's a simple way to keep you on your toes... WATCH OUT!!!! Never mind.
Or another fav of mine " umm guys, might wanna roll a spot check. Anyone roll over an 18?... Good, all going according to plan"

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Glaceis said:
A sign engraved on a plaque reads "Twice four and twenty more, blackbirds sitting in the rain, shoot six down to the ground, how many remain?"
It's obvious to me that it is a riddle with an easy answer, but as always it was how you answered that made the difference. Please try to solve this problem while you wait. I have the answer, I'll tell you once someone gets it right.
24x2=48-6=42
you drop eight beads from the bag onto the floor (not the plate), leaving 42, then dump these beads on the plate (don't include the bag; in fact, hold onto it in case it's magical). 42 is the answer to pretty much every question. always.

But as per the poll, I love traps, but only if they're the visible kind. Invisible insta-death traps that are sitting out in the middle of a hallway or something that require memorization to avoid (i.e. IWBTG) are bullshit, and are fake difficulty.
Traps that are visible if you're observant, though, serve to spice up a game and make me pay more attention.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
GRoXERs said:
Glaceis said:
A sign engraved on a plaque reads "Twice four and twenty more, blackbirds sitting in the rain, shoot six down to the ground, how many remain?"
It's obvious to me that it is a riddle with an easy answer, but as always it was how you answered that made the difference. Please try to solve this problem while you wait. I have the answer, I'll tell you once someone gets it right.
24x2=48-6=42
you drop eight beads from the bag onto the floor (not the plate), leaving 42, then dump these beads on the plate (don't include the bag; in fact, hold onto it in case it's magical). 42 is the answer to pretty much every question. always.

But as per the poll, I love traps, but only if they're the visible kind. Invisible insta-death traps that are sitting out in the middle of a hallway or something that require memorization to avoid (i.e. IWBTG) are bullshit, and are fake difficulty.
Traps that are visible if you're observant, though, serve to spice up a game and make me pay more attention.
"Search for invisible traps, pooky?" "Awesome idea Granny" Yeah insta death traps are a little bit BS. Normally though, if I'm in control and I made the traps, I have a set way to do it, anything else they try should kill them, but if they find a loophole, or some way to avoid it in a silly way, I allow it. Invisible traps, no, very well hidden yes. It should be sencable somehow, if you can or not thats a different story.

cj_iwakura

Mar 2, 2009
Persona 4,
Naoto, of course.

Beyond that, as real traps go, Deception III.

The entire game.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
traps like "stuck in a room until you solve the puzzle" or unexpected quick-time events? cuz the latter gets infuriating after failing it twice.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Glaceis said:
GRoXERs said:
Glaceis said:
24x2=48-6=42

"Search for invisible traps, pooky?" "Awesome idea Granny" Yeah insta death traps are a little bit BS. Normally though, if I'm in control and I made the traps, I have a set way to do it, anything else they try should kill them, but if they find a loophole, or some way to avoid it in a silly way, I allow it. Invisible traps, no, very well hidden yes. It should be sencable somehow, if you can or not thats a different story.
Was my answer right, though?

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
GRoXERs said:
Glaceis said:
GRoXERs said:
Glaceis said:
24x2=48-6=42

Was my answer right, though?
Actually six is the right answer. After you shoot one bird the others fly away in fear. The six you shoot down will remain there until moved. So only the 6 dead ones remained.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Glaceis said:
Actually six is the right answer. After you shoot one bird the others fly away in fear. The six you shoot down will remain there until moved. So only the 6 dead ones remained.
Bah. I hunt birds with a silenced sniper rifle, and I line up the shot so I kill all six with a single shot. They would never hear me; six would suddenly fall, and the others would be none the wiser.

Glaceis

Mar 4, 2009
GRoXERs said:
Glaceis said:
Bah. I hunt birds with a silenced sniper rifle, and I line up the shot so I kill all six with a single shot. They would never hear me; six would suddenly fall, and the others would be none the wiser.
Well dang. My aim sucks and I don't have the money for a sniper rifle, and don't give me that join the army stuff to get one. I won't do it.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Shycte said:
I like traps, as long as they are cleaver and unique.

As for the riddle: Twice four and twenty more = 4*2 + 20 = 28

28-6=22

I'd take 22 from the bag and put them on the plate.
I'd take 28 from the bag, put all of them on the plate, then remove 6 from the plate and drop them.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Glaceis said:
roblikestoskate said:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "traps". Do you mean situations that you can't escape until you solve the puzzle?
That or any unexpected puzzle or hinderance, sneak attack, or anything along those lines that would catch you off guard the first time around.
Motherfucking PRINCE OF PERSIA!

The new Prince of Persia has no traps. That's like a Tomb Raider game without tits.

Next in line is "I wanna be the guy". The game is purely traps and trial and error.

NeverAiling

Mar 10, 2009
DIALOGUE TREES. RPG's are FUCKING FULL of traps. Every goddamned sentence has three possibilities that no human being would EVER want. It's not a choice.

ITS A TRAP.

The developers just wanted to be all: "You thought that was a reasonable answer, but this is what you get for being evil/darkside/closed fist. You lose an entire branch of the dialogue tree, because this character never wants to talk to you again."

The problem is that, in dialogue situations, the developers are usually bat-shit-fucking loco. No person would ever respond to you the way the NPC responds to your choice.

You can play the game "just to see how your actions pan out", but your actions aren't really determining the play out of the game. The developer put the treasure where he thought the rainbow was, and if you want to kiss Carth/Jade Fox/Final-Fantasy-Wench/Jade Fo--w/e, you have to romance the developer.

So I quick save before every conversation, or if possible, before every single dialogue choice. And I play through the encounter, until I figure out what turns the developer on so I can date Carth or whatever.