Poll: I've got a Bad Feeling about CoD: Ghosts...

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
digital_critic said:
tilmoph said:
A new Battlefield doesn't come out every year, and the MOH franchise died at Warfighter. comparing those franchises to CoD doesn't make sense.
I was listing them since they play the same as CoD. If we had a CoD, followed by a battlefield the next year, then another MoH, (or another CoD or BF, if MoH is dead) it would be the same as having three new CoDs.

Jfluffy

Nov 8, 2010
I'm somewhere in between "Yes, good riddance" and "I don't care." when it comes to CoD. I really stopped caring about CoD a long time ago and wouldn't care much if the new one flopped. But I would like to see CoD flop in hopes that it sends the message that multiplayer with a now generic level progression needs to be shoe-horned into games to sell, thus taking away development time from a fulfilling single player experience.

That and SoD: Lawn Warfare is better than CoD!

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I know it's gonna suck because (A): It won't try something new like BLOPS2 did with the choices. I'm hoping Treyarch use this more, as I actually kinda liked Black Ops 2.

(B): It didn't headlines E3. Every COD since at least Black Ops has headlined or ended a conference. Where was Ghosts? Not at Sony or at Microsoft. It speaks volumes.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
tilmoph said:
digital_critic said:
tilmoph said:
A new Battlefield doesn't come out every year, and the MOH franchise died at Warfighter. comparing those franchises to CoD doesn't make sense.
I was listing them since they play the same as CoD. If we had a CoD, followed by a battlefield the next year, then another MoH, (or another CoD or BF, if MoH is dead) it would be the same as having three new CoDs.
Saying CoD plays the same as BF... Really? BF's gameplay is totally different. It's more large-scale oriented and that does totally change the game experience.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
The thing the new CoD will have going for it will be that it will be the only CoD on the new generation, which may boost the sales slightly. Especially if retailers do bundles where you get a game with the console when you buy it, I can imagine many people would opt to have CoD Ghosts with their shiny new PS4 or Xbone.

For me no CoD has been better than CoD 4 (the one I started on, yes I know that CoD 2 is supposedly better).

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
I will never understand consumers.People want a new CoD game and then complain that its similar to other games in the franchise, you know, almost like a sequel!
Mario is possibly one of the most loved games ever and in all its 'sequels' as far as I know it has added new maps (if you are lucky) and a few more powerups. Yet somehow people like to jump on the bandwagon and insult CoD for 'rehashing' the same old game. You know, conveniently leaving out the new plot, weapons, maps, game types, basically everything short or making it part of a separate franchise.
I think what you don't see, thought it already has been pointed out. CoD may change things, but it is being able to change things and keep similar things and making it all feel fresh. It all comes down to game-play and the feel in the end. I've played CoD3, CoD4, MW2 and watched friends play the rest, yeah the story changed a little bit each time, but since game-play and the missions were very similar(Take, Hold, Convoy(or some sort of vehicle mission), Bad Sniping Stealth, Kill a certain target in one of those four, rinse and repeat, and also even though new weapons get added, they are variations of, assault rifle, single shot rifle, pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun, smg, and rocket-launcher and they end up feeling very similar, so they don't feel new, graphical look of weapons doesn't count.
Also with graphics, they slowly got better over each iteration but it didn't make the game feel any different, with the way the levels looked with usually similar terrain, once you've played in, grassy fields, foreign farms, war torn cities, jungle, or other typical military battle location, you've played them all and all of them from each game start to bleed together and they just don't feel different from each other. Also, enemies don't vary, you've got generic soldier or terrorist, with their typical set ups of carrying one or to of the typical weapons, and other than that you got the tank, apc, troop truck, and helicopter. Changing the name of the enemy or vehicle and giving it in affect a pallet swap, doesn't make it feel different.

Besides they just don't try hard enough to make it feel different, and with the single player being so short, 10 to 12 missions, with it really only feeling like half that because each mission type and local gets at least two to three missions. Really with the type of game it is, they have to really work to make it feel different, and they just don't. Besides, you are trying to compare a 4 to 8(if lucky) hour shooter with repetitive multiplayer to a platforming series that has involved into game that at finishing with somewhat some completion can take more than 50 hours most likely much more.

I've played Mario Bros 1, 2(granted was a Mario overlay onto another game form Japan), lost levels(actual Mario 2) and 3, World, World 2(Yoshi's Island), Land, Land 2, 64, Sunshine, Galaxy.(basically the ones I own) And that is just the platformers, because there are of course the RPGs and other games.

Each one felt different, with new power-ups, new enemies (more than just pallet swaps), new game-play features, and best of all, usually 8 or more worlds and totaling a hundred or more new levels with each game, and graphically, they changed with every one in some way.

The closest Nintendo has got with rehashing with Mario, is the New Super Mario Bros. series, but again initially, that series brought forth a new graphical look, new levels, and new power-ups. Though, I think it got the rehashing effect took place with that Mario series, because it took place during a two year period that had the transition between two new Nintendo devices, DS to 3DS, Wii to Wii U.

Plus because Mario is in more than just platformers, meaning, RPGs, kart racing, sports, party games, puzzle games, etc, that he feels fresh because he is always interchanging between the different game styles that and they come at perfect intervals that Mario feels like he is staying fresh.

Snazzymathematics

Apr 16, 2013
At this point, I don't care. I stopped caring about Call of Duty at around the first Blops and I stopped caring about the "community" long before that. Really, I don't care if someone likes it, I don't care if someone dislikes it, and I really don't care what happens to it. I couldn't give less a shit if it turns out it's fucking amazing because I'm completely burned out on the Modern Military Shooter (Except ArmA 3.) All I feel for Call of Duty now is complete apathy. I don't see the point in getting angry or excited at it because we all know what's going to happen at this point: Nobody cares about the Single Player. CoD fans say "this is the best one yet" when it first comes out and everybody and their lemur posts gameplay of it, then a week or two later everybody says "This is the worst one yet" and everybody and their lemur, Skunk, and Ferret posts blops 2 gameplay. And then some "Big-Named" CoD Commentator says something dumb and everyone and everything either agrees with him or call him bad names.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
It doesn't help that Black Ops 2 has the worst online multiplayer in the current gen of CoD games. I honestly don't want the series to die, but at this point they need to mix it up. Do something interesting in the next game with gun variety, give us a third weapon slot, SOMETHING that will really set it apart.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Well, I sure hope it's going to bomb, so people stop trying to copy it to appeal to its audience.

Who am I kidding, it's either gonna continue being successful, or if it's gonna fail others will be even more greedy for their fanbase

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I doubt it. WoW has been declining and yet it's probably the most popular MMO still.

I think that if Ghosts simply rehashes the same old MW formula whilst adding useless crap like animals then I think that it'll decline in sales even further. But it's a new sub title so who knows? Maybe they will actually refresh the franchise, even if just a little bit.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
In all likelihood it'll do well because it's a recognised brand and it's just something that sells well for whatever reason (I have no idea why, it doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but each to their own). However, that whole thing with the dog had me laughing my ass off during the reveal; it reminded me so much of another little game that thought the addition of a dog was some kind of innovation.

I remember reading about Fable 2 trying to force the dog onto the game testers and every one of them would throw a stick off of a cliff so the dog would get locked out of the game by the level geometry, Peter took this the wrong way and instead of being a sane person (which we all know he is not) and getting the message that we didn't want the dog, he just made it so the dog wouldn't jump off of a cliff if you threw a stick off of it.

Now look how far we've come, developers still think the addition of a dog will somehow form an "emotional connection" of some kind and the game will be awesome because of it. I honestly don't know what's going through their heads, maybe it's that the dialogue for a dog is way cheaper to write and you don't need to pay the voice actor.

Engaging characters and a well-written story? Pfft, no, OOOOH, WOOK AT THE WIDDLE DOGGY, MASH UP HIS FACE AND CALL HIM CHIPS!

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
As much as I whine about CoD, I am indifferent to it's success or it's failures.
In fact, the only reason why it annoys me is because so many good games turn to shit in recent years because those developers try to be the next CoD. Which means CoD itself gets an unfair amount of hate.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
Don't rely on vgchartz. It's a joke imho.

But CoD should die like Halo. Both franchises are past their prime

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
With more gimmicky crap like dogs then I don't see how the franchise will last. They will probably squeeze out one or two games before they realise they need to either renew or quit entirely. I won't be buying it, all my gaming friends specifically said they won't be buying it; I don't see how it will last much longer.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
well... let me just say this: all franchises will lose their popularity in time. Now CoD may never actually die but it won't stay in the spotlight forever either. i reckon that it will become somewhat average, selling successfully within it's own dedicated fanbase but not getting widespread recognition. right now, CoD is part of the shooter fad that plagues the industry but this fad will fade the same way platformers did. I almost guarantee it.