Poll: Jeff Dunham

Jedisolo75

Aug 12, 2009
He had a nice little thing going for a while, but it got old. Some of his characters are funny, most are failures, but every show has a few laughs in it. His biggest mistake was going political.

It sometimes works when a stand up comedian tries to make his standup into a show (Home Improvement and Rosanne) but only when the person has a genuine talent and not just a knack for being a smart ass, or a one joke show(see anything with Jeff Foxworthy in it). Jeff Dunham could probably be a part of some kind of Hee Haw type variety show and be very successful, but I doubt he can carry a show. Hell, George Carlin couldn't do it, Does Jeff even have a prayer?

Oh, and horrible poll, I know what you were trying to do, but really man, be better.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
haha wow that's an awful poll. but i voted, he's bad. used to really make me laugh but you can tell the TV show is gonna be all shtick and phoned-in bullshit.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Jedisolo75 said:
He had a nice little thing going for a while, but it got old. Some of his characters are funny, most are failures, but every show has a few laughs in it. His biggest mistake was going political.

It sometimes works when a stand up comedian tries to make his standup into a show (Home Improvement and Rosanne) but only when the person has a genuine talent and not just a knack for being a smart ass, or a one joke show(see anything with Jeff Foxworthy in it). Jeff Dunham could probably be a part of some kind of Hee Haw type variety show and be very successful, but I doubt he can carry a show. Hell, George Carlin couldn't do it, Does Jeff even have a prayer?
add to that list the Rodney Dangerfield TV specials - mostly shtick revolving around "no respect, no respect i tells ya!" it takes a a LOT, a hell of a lot of talent and good material for a stage comedian to translate well to sit-com or even sketch-com format. same way Monty Python material wouldn't work as stand-up comedy - they always presented live with everything still in sketch format

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
Avykins said:
Eh, he is okay. However he always brings out that purple fucking puppet which I hate with a passion. I have seen 3 of his shows and only really one struck me as funny.
Also your poll sucks ass.
I agree with you, and to add to what you said, I personally think he is only funny when he has the skeleton out.

Sipo

Jul 25, 2009
how bout u dont be such a doosh and put a "Jeff dunham is fuckin hillarius" option up there K?

Shady Dealer

Jun 8, 2009
Point A:Jeff is a pretty dam hilarious comedian and i'm looking forward to the show
Point B:please prove yourself a higher life form and have na unbiased poll at the minimum

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
He was funny at first but he doesn't know the concept of new material. He just keeps recycling the same old jokes.
Also, to those of you in this thread who asked who Jeff Dunham is, I ask that instead of making a worthless post, please try looking him up on Google. Or at least choking yourself to death.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I like his humour and have already set a timer for it.
Also your poll has little use for anyne who doesn't hate him.

Pickel Surprise

May 22, 2009
Biased poll fails.

I happen to like Jeff Dunham quite a bit.

However, I like Demetri Martin, too and his show sucked, so maybe Dunham's standup prowess won't be enough for a good TV show.

bloodrush545

Oct 19, 2009
anthony87 said:
bloodrush545 said:
The King of Rock and Roll said:
No opposing opinions, stating his opinion as a fact, short OP.

And then there is the other new poster, who seems to be trying to up the fire on the thread.

Hmmmmm, what might this be? Flamebait anybody?
Oh because your a grizzled veteran at a month of posting.
Dude i don't know what kind of forums you've been on before but here we're actually polite and try to keep the flaming to a minimum.
Are people really that sensitive on these forums and call that flaming? Geez, time to make an early exit from Escapist forums.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
Well It would be nice for an option for people who like him (such as myself). If you wanted to bash him then you could have made a poll called "Who hates Jeff Dunham?" A series doesn't sound promosing, but he is a very good ventriloquist.

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
Dunham's one of my favorite comics. I laughed sooooo hard the 1st time I saw Achmed! Walter's excellent too.

I haven't seen his show, so I can't comment on that. I do wonder how good it'll end up being though.

seanbon112

Aug 20, 2009
I think he is pretty funny especially with walter... hmm you don't seem to have an option that supports anything but your opinion.

Dapper Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
Wulby said:
Ahmed didn't get more than 100 million views on YouTube for no reason. The guy is funny.
The most subscribed person on YouTube is some kid named Fred whose entire source of humor is "Speeding up your voice is funny ROFL!!1". YouTube popularity=/=quality.

I do think Dunham is a decent comedian, though. Some of his stuff is pretty good, while some of his other material (i.e. the one-joke Achmed character the LCD loves)... isn't. Overall, I find his stand-up to be enjoyable, but I see no way for his show to avoid being awful.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
bloodrush545 said:
anthony87 said:
bloodrush545 said:
The King of Rock and Roll said:
No opposing opinions, stating his opinion as a fact, short OP.

And then there is the other new poster, who seems to be trying to up the fire on the thread.

Hmmmmm, what might this be? Flamebait anybody?
Oh because your a grizzled veteran at a month of posting.
Dude i don't know what kind of forums you've been on before but here we're actually polite and try to keep the flaming to a minimum.
Are people really that sensitive on these forums and call that flaming? Geez, time to make an early exit from Escapist forums.
It's not that we're sensitive. It just that we're not in the mood of coming to these forums and finding idiotic polls like this one.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I like his stand-up but puppet shows have a bad habit of tanking ... Remember Greg the Bunny? I think at this point I'm one of the few who do.

As long as it is better than Chocolate New WAS I think Comedy Central did well