Poll: Lack of basic mathmatical skills

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
DoPo said:
A Raging Emo said:
I haven't seen any trend like that. The trend with people on my List seems to be doing a really simple convoluted Maths problem.

(i.e. 1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1x2 = ?)
Yup, that's exactly it. And it is easy. Although, it's usually even simpler - only addition, for example. A favourite one to troll people with is something along the lines of 2+2+2*0=? (or add in some more 2s if you wish). Cue people answering 0...or even 6.

barbzilla said:
The Order of Operations is P.E.M.D.A.S.
Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

An easy way to remember the order is with the phrase Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally (I thought everyone was taught this in elementary school).
I personally never learnt the PEMDAS system in school at any point and I really dont like the way people write their mathematics to be deliberately confusing. Problems like these are only there to serve the purpose of somone being able to go "Hur hur hur - youre so dumb you cant even do basic maths".

If you do maths and want to make what youre trying to do clear you use brackets to show the exact order.

Hence you get:
1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+(1x2)
or
(1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1)x2
and
2+2+(2*0)
OR
(2+2+2)*0

Its so simple to do that I cant help but think that the ONLY reason these exist is for peoples superiority complexes.

Im currently doing a degree in mathematics and I do modules in quantum physics and advanced electromagnetism. These problems sometimes trip me up not because im a bad mathmetician but because the writing of such problems is DESIGNED to trip you up. If I was writing this as a genuine mathematical problem I would not write it like that.

USE BRACKETS when writing equations. Simples.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
48 ÷ 2 * (9+3)= either 2 or 288 depending on whether you multiply or divide first

Multiplication and division hold no precedence over each other as division is simply the inverse function of multiplication (IE divide by two or multiply my .5 yield the same results), like how - 1 and + -1 mean the same thing.

Think of it this way, after the 3rd grade you never use the symbol ÷ again, rather you put what you want divided on top of a line, and what you want it divided by on the bottom of the line, and the line has a dual role as a parenthesis.

order of operations should be thought of more like this

Parenthesis AND Indices
Multiplication AND Division
Addition AND Subtraction

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
Redingold said:
I'm good at maths. I got a gold in the Senior Maths Challenge for last year (the top 40% of entrants get medals, which are handed out in a 3:2:1 ratio of bronze to silver to gold), and went on to take part in the European Kangaroo, where I got a mark of 45. The average mark was 25, for comparison's sake. I got an A* in Maths at A-level, and disappointingly, only an A in Further Maths. For those who've not take those courses, regular Maths deals with things like simple calculus, trigonometry, the binomial expansion and an introduction to vectors, while Further Maths deals in complex numbers, polar co-ordinates, matrices, vectors in three dimensions, differential equations, Taylor series and more complicated calculus.

I'm studying Physics with Theoretical Physics at university, though the actual teaching doesn't start until Monday. Also, Brian Cox is delivering my lectures on Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.
I studied TP for my undergrad (at Trinity College, Dublin). Up until then, I had never encountered any maths problem that gave me any trouble whatsoever*. The first year of university level maths kicked my arse from one end of campus to the other. As I understand it, the British A-level maths goes a fair bit beyond the Irish Leaving Cert in scope, but I think that you should be prepared for a whole different level of conceptual abstraction.

It took me a solid 18 months to get to grips with complex analysis and abstract algebra, both of which are hugely important to the mathematical foundations of QM and GR. As far as I know, most physicists are happy to ignore the pure maths formalisms behind the equations, but I found that understanding one led to huge gains in grasping the other.

I'm consistently surprised by how often the weird and abstract maths I learned in TP pops up in other places. I spent a few years training as an actuary, and an understanding of statistical thermodynamics goes a long way to reading modern theories of financial markets. Now I'm about to complete an MSc in computer science (I should be writing my thesis right now) and so much of the same abstract maths underlies both physics and CS.

I'm sure that you'll do great, but I think you should be ready for a new level of difficulty from anything you've encountered before.

* Not strictly true, I tried out for the Mathematical Olympiad, and I'm not convinced that the problems we were posed were even meaningful!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I work in retail so at most I would use math at the till (I'm not fully trained on it just yet) but in saying so, the till give you the cost and total so math thinking is not fully involve other than giving out the right changed.
Other than that I guess I use math for simple thing like working out by head of a total or adding stuff together.

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
I got a B grade at GCSE maths but I could've gone and done A-levels. Chose not to. So middle of the road, mathmatical skills come up every so often but I've probably gotten rusty with higher level stuff

And I have yet to see hat the OP described (mostly because all of my friends have decent maths skills) but from the sounds of it, seeing something like that would kill me a little on the inside. I used to hear phrases like "We don't need maths" from a lot of individuals at my school when we were young and less mature (read:intelligent). Made me want to punch them but I wouldn't

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Note that I'm a business-to-business sales representative at the company I work for, keeping around 150 business customers satisfied all days of the year. I don't work at a bank and I would hardly need maths, if I wanted to.

However, being relatively clever in maths (was one of my best classes back in school), it allows me to do stuff pretty fast. This helps me daily, but it's no necessity.

tensorproduct

Jun 30, 2011
Syzygy23 said:
My issue with such things, like the order of operations, is nobody will explain WHY we HAVE to use the order of operations. Why is using any other method not legitimate?
See my earlier post. The order of operations is completely arbitrary.

The explanations offered by Darkmantle and poiumty explain some of the reasons that we use this particular arbitrary evaluation rule (that multiplication is treated as repeated addition so it makes sense to do it earlier). Also, treating division/multiplication and addition/subtraction as inverse operations with the same level of priority makes equation manipulation (like cancelling something from both sides of an equals) far easier (even if it is a slight misconception).

Ultimately, written maths is a language, and a language relies on consistent interpretation to convey meaning. If we don't all use the same set of rules, then a written formula might be interpreted to mean something far different from what the author intended.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Veloxe said:
Personally I was always taught that you just go left > right if you end up with something like 2/4*3. As opposed to trying to create an ordered acronym for it. Not sure how "right" that is in terms of really important math but if figure if they really wanted me to multiply 4*2 before dividing my 2 they would just use brackets (parenthesis).
Which is the proper way to go about it. If you strictly follow PEMDAS in the example you gave here, you'd get 0.166666, while if you swapped the order, you'd get 1.5

When it's written like that, you should absolutely go left to right first. Otherwise, you'd have to worry about keeping track of numerators and denominators on top of everything else.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Keoul said:
I'm always confused by the order of operations because I was taught BODMAS first.
Brackets
Powers (forgot what the word was but it's exponents)
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

So as you can see Division and Multiplication is switched from PEMDAS, makes it kinda confusing sometimes.
The only use for it in my daily life is Teamfortress 2 Warioware mod :p
As a maths teacher I was taught this way and I teach it this way...tbh the division and multiplication doesn't make a huge difference in what order it is in.
OT: so yea, I use maths all the time...but I think that it's cheating for me to say so

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
thahat said:
Keoul said:
I'm always confused by the order of operations because I was taught BODMAS first.
Brackets
Powers (forgot what the word was but it's exponents)
Division
Multiplication
Addition
Subtraction

So as you can see Division and Multiplication is switched from PEMDAS, makes it kinda confusing sometimes.
The only use for it in my daily life is Teamfortress 2 Warioware mod :p
could be, might be because devisions and multiplications GO AT THE SAME TIME ;) so it doesnt really matter in what order you do those

all i know is
( )
^2
/ AND *
+ AND -

never was taught any nice words for em though XD
neither was I, we actually understood what we were doing though, and we didn't get out aunt Sally involved or whatever o_O

people who don't get that multiplication and division are the same do not even grasp that 6/3 is the same as 6*(1/3)

the facebook stuff is a combination of people being stupid, people being lemmingsand following what other people say, people just using their phone/calculator for a calculation and using it wrong, or people using their aunt sally for unholy things but not math

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
poiumty said:
DoPo said:
Well, division is multiplication by the reciprocal. I'm not entirely sure when the order of the two would matter that much. I'm pretty sure you can switch subtraction/addition around and it would still give you the same result.
Not at all. 7/1*9 can either be 7*9 or 7/9 which are totally different.

Here's an example of people bumbling over basic algebra:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110428210248AA7we0U

Using math notation, it'd be easy to figure out whether the 9 is in the numerator or denominator position. To specify whether a number is in the denominator position without using the straight horizontal line, the only solution I know is to use parenthesis beforeafter the / sign. So when there's none, I consider only the number after / to be the denominator and anything after that to follow the fraction.

edit: also, I'm an engineer but I don't really like math. Isn't working out so well, no.
well you say "I consider" but that is not how it works on normal notation, when you calculate bigger problem yes, you use scientific notation and dont type your stuff in MSword or whatever :p but you cant start making up your own rules

7/1*9 means only 1 thing 7*9

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Those things on facebook aren't really difficult maths, they're just designed to be confusing. What bugs me is that there are people on my course who can't add up a couple of two digit numbers and have no concept of how long 3000mm is. I'm studying building surveying, most of it is measuring buildings, drawing up the plan of them, then making a model with CAD. If you can't add up two numbers, you're buggered.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Redingold said:
I'm good at maths. I got a gold in the Senior Maths Challenge for last year (the top 40% of entrants get medals, which are handed out in a 3:2:1 ratio of bronze to silver to gold), and went on to take part in the European Kangaroo, where I got a mark of 45. The average mark was 25, for comparison's sake. I got an A* in Maths at A-level, and disappointingly, only an A in Further Maths. For those who've not take those courses, regular Maths deals with things like simple calculus, trigonometry, the binomial expansion and an introduction to vectors, while Further Maths deals in complex numbers, polar co-ordinates, matrices, vectors in three dimensions, differential equations, Taylor series and more complicated calculus.

I'm studying Physics with Theoretical Physics at university, though the actual teaching doesn't start until Monday. Also, Brian Cox is delivering my lectures on Relativity and Quantum Mechanics.
Ahh I'm so jealous of all your smarts, this is the problem with growing older, suddenly all these darn young people have achieved things you'll never achieve :D. Well I can take comfort in you ending up getting the same grades as me, despite having way more success in the Olympiads. Also you took physics, which every mathematician knows is just left over maths. I mean the stuff you do actually has relevance to the universe, doesn't sound very proper to me :D

------------------
OT I'm a 3rd year mathematician student, so I hope my skills don't completely suck, but I have no intention of using them in any practical way unless it's to get a job doing even more proper maths. Once you have the knowledge, just reapplying it again and again is boring, I can't stand applied modules (except for statistics where intelligence is still required, being more about the interpretation), the fun is constantly gaining new knowledge.

Luckily the purpose of any civilised society is clearly to support mathematicians and to let them do their cool pure stuff that divines patterns in the very fundamentals of existence in comfort, so I'm okay =D

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
As a former Math and Physics student and current Computer Science student I weep every time I see a person get one of this wrong, thus "Super important"

Still, as a computer science student you are taught to make the operation as simple as humanely possible by using 'redundant' parenthesis because you never know how a compiler is going to behave and every single respectable compiler does at least respect parenthesis first so:

1+5*5-7/1*9

becomes:

(1+(5*5)-(7/(1*9))

This way no one can really get it wrong without being really really stupid, and a compiler won't really ever get it wrong.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
tensorproduct said:
Syzygy23 said:
My issue with such things, like the order of operations, is nobody will explain WHY we HAVE to use the order of operations. Why is using any other method not legitimate?
See my earlier post. The order of operations is completely arbitrary.

The explanations offered by Darkmantle and poiumty explain some of the reasons that we use this particular arbitrary evaluation rule (that multiplication is treated as repeated addition so it makes sense to do it earlier). Also, treating division/multiplication and addition/subtraction as inverse operations with the same level of priority makes equation manipulation (like cancelling something from both sides of an equals) far easier (even if it is a slight misconception).

Ultimately, written maths is a language, and a language relies on consistent interpretation to convey meaning. If we don't all use the same set of rules, then a written formula might be interpreted to mean something far different from what the author intended.
I don't think "arbitrary" is the right word to use. It's not random, and it's not on a whim. There is a definite logical system.

"" ar·bi·trar·y -Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.""