Poll: Let's clear this up. Do you like Half-Life 2?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Yes, I liked Half-Life 2 back when I played it, and the two episodes as well.

A lot of water have run under the FPS-bridge since it came out though, so it's hardly the stand-out achievement it once was. Games like Bioshock have long since raised the bar.

Sep 14, 2009
i didn't enjoy half life 1 or 2 at all, partially because it was built up to be jesus's second coming, BUT for a few reasons:

Gordon freeman is a bland cut out silent "thing" that literally does nothing. nothing at all. not even in cutscenes, which they aren't even cutscenes, and i personally find that utterly boring and stupid to have the main character be that way, as he doesn't interact with anything else at all.

the gameplay is average..if that. it's just not fun to me at all, i walk around with limited whatever weapon at the time and i just was not having fun at all, as i've mentioned before i fell asleep playing this game and that is the first time that's ever happened.

the style of the storytelling just bugs the hell out of me, mixed with its random physics puzzles, i couldn't have cared less for anything that was going on, not one bit. so anything between point A and B was the biggest chore on the planet.

now for the Off topic question:

Cats, they tend to do more wacky funny stuff.

WakeTheDead1

Jan 27, 2010
Valve arent gods gift to games as they like to think they are and half life 2 was really average

its a bit repetitive, looks quite ugly, the lighting is awful, the controls are a bit poor - it just feels like you are controlling a floating camera rather than a person, the driving sections are horrible and overly drawn out

aiming from the hip is inaccurate and yet there is no aim-down-sight, so in bits where you actually have to shoot enemies from say 10 meters away then you waste loads of ammo, if you are going to only let me shoot from the hip then dont force me to shoot enemies that are too far away for this to be accurate enough

also a small thing but it sounds very tinny, guns sound like someone popping bubble wrap

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
It's an OK game, the enemies could be better, the combat could be more visceral, and Alex kept stealing my kills.

kikon9

Aug 11, 2010
It's an OK game, the enemies could be better, the combat could be more visceral, and Alex kept stealing my kills.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I find the game, mind numbingly boring and rather aimless.

I tend to just stumble through the half life series, shotting things that look nasty or are shooting me. I have no idea what the story is or why Gordan is a mute, I have no idea who the girl is or why she has a massive robot.

The puzzles are also very hidden, usually you see a big open room and automatically see a puzzle, in the half life series it takes me 5 mins to realize.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Nope, I honestly find it rather monotonous and somehow with a dash of generic or flavorless.

For the other question, Cat.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Half Life 2 is a phenomenal game. This means that if you play it, and like shooters, you will PROBABLY like it. From the looks of it, phenomenal will get you about 80%. That's pretty good.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I do, but I don't share the standard valve fanboy position that it's Jesus reincarnate.I just like it, that's all.

Dogs, because they are more aggressive attackers.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
HL2 was an amazing game that really opened my eyes to the FPS genre.

I think an interesting aspect of it is the puzzle solving. It almost seems like a relic to have puzzles in levels where you can actually get stuck and need to figure out how to unlock the next door. It was a stable of the genre back in the day (to some extent), but now with the likes of CoD and Halo - not at all. Not to say there aren't any FPS games with that sort of thing, but definitely not a lot. Some might say it's because of better level design, that it's easier to figure out where to go to progress. This may be true, but I think devs are also scared to put tricky puzzles in the games as they obviously won't appeal to everyone.

But if I never played HL2, and played it for the first time now, what might I think of it? I would probably find it a tad boring. Hard to say.

As for the dog vs cat thing... well, I would probably choose a dog. They make great loveable companions and listen well. However, if by 'cat' I could choose a panther or jaguar or something like that... then maybe that. But a domestic cat? I don't think so.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
I played it, but... well I want to say it was brilliant. It felt like it was lacking something and I can't decide what it was.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Dog. Can't aren't reliable - while the AI might be programmed to follow me, I'd always suspect it was eying up a nearby squirrel.

Yes, liked Half-Life 2. Successful as far as First-person shooters go.

Netrigan said:
The amazing story of the first game... is basically just a retelling of Doom's story.
Agreed, but praise deserved for how it was told. Nothing of the Doom story particularly revealed itself in the level design, the story is practically an afterthought. Half-Life told it's story pretty well through gameplay and memorable set-pieces.

Always thought System Shock 2 > Half-Life though.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
Half life 2 was decent, I wouldn't really say it's a clear step from the original, but that doesn't matter if it works well on its own.

The only reason I voted 'no' is because I also counted the Episodes (wasn't specified in the poll), I felt that they were a massive let down, to the point where I actually laughed at the ending of Episode Two.

krugerrand123

Apr 6, 2010
I enjoy half life two, I like the atmosphere,I always feel like I am there.
Also, i would prefer a dog, they are more loyal and fight better.