Poll: Let's Talk about D&D!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Im still getting messed up because of 3rd Edition. I only just now realized that preparing spells is different in 5e. I did not realize that you have a list of spells prepared creating a small list you can -choose freely- from for your spell slots, rather than preparing a spell per slot.

=. =

Changes how I play spellcasters now.

(Its not a bad thing, I just didnt know I was holding myself back)

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Saelune said:
Im still getting messed up because of 3rd Edition. I only just now realized that preparing spells is different in 5e. I did not realize that you have a list of spells prepared creating a small list you can -choose freely- from for your spell slots, rather than preparing a spell per slot.

=. =

Why not just become an edgy rogue instead?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
RedRockRun said:
Saelune said:

=. =

Cause rogues is chumps.
Fighters, Paladins, and Barbarians is where it's at.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
RedRockRun said:
Saelune said:

=. =

Cause magic, duh.

Though in 3.5 I almost always multiclassed rogue. Wizard/Rogue, Fighter/Rogue, Psion/Rogue, etc. I havent multiclassed in 5e yet, but 5e kind of has built in multiclassing with backgrounds and subclasses.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I've never played, but I've always loved the manuals. I got some 1e ones (I think they are anyway) when I was a kid and have bought a few of the later editions too. Particularly loved the Deities and Demigods manual, but was disappointed that some pantheons had been cut from later editions. Think I've still got them in the loft anyway.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I started with 2nd Ed, and the first world setting I bought was 'Dark Sun' because I played the PC game and loved it equally.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hmm, new question. This one applies to everyone too!

How often do you play and how long does such a session last on average?

We try for bi-weekly sessions of about 3-4 hours, but big boy responsibilities often get in the way, so in practice it's more like every three weeks/monthly. I think 3-4 hours is the sweet spot between long enough to get things done, but not so long that it gets hard for the GM to keep focus (without taking a longer break).

Or, we can just talk about the D&D Monk class. That's always fun.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Chimpzy said:

We try for bi-weekly sessions of about 3-4 hours, but big boy responsibilities often get in the way, so in practice it's more like every three weeks/monthly. I think 3-4 hours is the sweet spot between long enough to get things done, but not so long that it gets hard for the GM to keep focus (without taking a longer break).

We try to play once a week and usually play until 11pm up until 1am if we are actually into something.

We used to start around 5-6pm, but atleast with my current party of 2 who like to get food before coming over, usually starts 7-8, though we're heavy in the messing around.

However we're going to be starting a new campaign soon with the full group (5 total, 1 DM 4 players), but the 3 who have been playing a campaign with me DMing dont intend on stopping, so soon it might be twice a week for some of us.

As for Monk, coinkydink, I intend on playing a Monk in this new campaign. As I said earlier, a Goliath Tranquility Monk who tries to solve everything peacefully. Likely at the chagrin of my brother's character who wants to 'smite' everything and anything that goes against his views of our God. (The party is themed as worshippers of the same deity).

Jei-chan

Inquisitor-Hierarch
Apr 18, 2011
Chimpzy said:

We play every Sunday, or at least try to. Three of us are authors so sometimes one of us is like "hey um I need to write this week instead" but we generally enjoy D&D too much to give it up. And as for how long the sessions go, again, we kinda enjoy the game way too much XD we play online (in Fantasy Grounds) because half of us live in the southern hemisphere and half in the northern, so sessions sometimes go from however early in the morning the southern hemisphere people wake up that day to however late the northern hemisphere people can stay awake at night. I think our record is about seven hours. It helps that we're all best friends of course.

As for monk, the first ever character I played was one! She was an eladrin with a mask covering the bottom half of her face styled like a Protoss (with psiblades in place of her unarmed strike) and I miss her a lot, though I was pretty bad at it, because it was my first time playing. I didn't really "get" ki points and how fast they recharge. I did once one-shot a goblin by throwing a dart, which I was pretty proud of :3 and when we were messing around with Fantasy Grounds and how the dice rolling worked, a Terrasque failed to beat my save DC to knock it prone XD I don't think I'll ever quite equal that feat

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
It just occurred to me...probably occurred to others already, but still...

Planescape Torment was Dark Souls before Dark Souls...

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I've played a bunch of D & D, but the rules have never been so strictly enforced that I know the difference between editions. So there is no preference, because the DM can just pick and choose between the best of each. In the last game, the DM liked this whole thing from 3.5 about letting the players describe a long journey, using their skills to describe what they did at each leg (and whether it was done successfully), so he spliced it into a 5. game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
maninahat said:
I've played a bunch of D & D, but the rules have never been so strictly enforced that I know the difference between editions. So there is no preference, because the DM can just pick and choose between the best of each. In the last game, the DM liked this whole thing from 3.5 about letting the players describe a long journey, using their skills to describe what they did at each leg (and whether it was done successfully), so he spliced it into a 5. game.
5th seems to want to be very open to homebrewing compared to past editions, which I find is a strength. I do think they tried to make 5e a chameleon so that regardless what edition you liked before, you can like 5th, and it seems to work. The main competitor seems to be 3.5 and thats likely due to a mix between the vast amount of published content 3.5 has, and the desire for stricter/higher number stats, since 5e sorta flattens things out.

Kyman102

Apr 16, 2009
I had to give the edge to 3.5/Pathfinder, because I've played that the most, though I've played a lot of 4th Ed, and honestly had a lot of great character moments there.

I haven't PLAYED 5e, but I'd like to. I've got more than a few concepts.

One of which is a Paladin, Oath of Devotion. Very much what a Paladin is said to be in-game (as opposed to what typical D&D players associate with "PC Paladin"). Shiny, kind, merciful, honorable, will give of herself to protect the helpless.

Also she's a Tiefling.

She sees no contradiction, necessarily, but she DOES feel as though she must be better than most because of her heritage.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Kyman102 said:
as opposed to what typical D&D players associate with "PC Paladin"
You mean a zealot without common sense, following the rules arbitrarily without actually understanding them, attacking anything evil (or perceived as such) on sight and without mercy, and generally frequently forgetting that the "Good" part of "Lawful Good" is just as important as the "Lawful" part?

Yeah, those are joy to have in your games.

Almost as fun as Chaotic Stupid players. Unless you enjoy basically having Kharn The Betrayer on the team.
Kyman102 said:
Tiefling Paladin
Sure, why not. The contradiction can make for some good roleplaying opportunities.

I mean, we have a Lawful Neutral Succubus Favored Soul in the party.
Because the deities in our homebrew setting behave similar to the Olympian gods, and even the Good ones can be huge fucking dicks to lower beings, frequently giving them impossible quests, simply to try and prove a point to another deity.

Basically, a Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Evil deity are in a longstanding pissing contest over which is the supreme force: Law or Chaos. So they made a bet, exchanging their followers, forcing their respective alignment on them. Then the deities tasked them to perform a great deed in the name of Law/Chaos, while they also have to interfere with the other (and as part of the bet, neither is capable of killing the other). Unfortunately, their conflicting natures cannot exist within the same body, something which not even divine power can circumvent, and it's slowly destroying them, putting a (generous) time limit on the whole thing.

This has been going on for millennia. The current PC and her Chaotic Evil Angel counterpart are just the latest pair trying to satisfy the bet.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Chimpzy said:

Game night has been every Saturday (more or less) for the first 20 years, with each session lasting about 6 hours, usually starting around 8 PM and lasting till 2 in the morning. Earlier sessions used to be longer, some all-nighters, and there were some weeknight games as well, but my personal routine now, and for the last ten years or so, is every second Saturday night.

I like using monks as a DM, but I despise monks as player characters. I don't like the idea that a martial artist can kill monsters with their bare hands. Even if descriptively their attacks are wreathed in glowing energy or fire, I generally don't like it.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I'm not convinced of DnD. The gameplay is kind of boring, slow and convoluted and the storytelling is never going to be good because it is four or so people pulling the story in all kinds of stupid directions. I mean, it can be alright, but it can't really stand up to reading a good book or if you want to play a game together, just playing Imperial or any other game.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Pseudonym said:
I'm not convinced of DnD. The gameplay is kind of boring, slow and convoluted and the storytelling is never going to be good because it is four or so people pulling the story in all kinds of stupid directions. I mean, it can be alright, but it can't really stand up to reading a good book or if you want to play a game together, just playing Imperial or any other game.
I get what you're saying, but the one running the game, the DM, is expected to be the one telling the story(per se), and the others are just playing characters in the tale.

Some books are great, true. Personally, I've never played any other game, be it digital or tabletop, that has been as fun as roleplaying, and D&D in particular.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Pseudonym said:

You clearly have never played with a good group (or rather a group that suits your tastes).

Books are boring, cause its set in...well, ink and paper, but fuck that! Freedom and choice and no walls! Maybe your DMs sucked and didnt let you impact the world, or your fellow players sucked cause they wanted to do what you didnt or didnt want to do what you did, but get a DM who lets you play your way and players that play similar, and it will be awesome, I promise!

Ever want to do something in a game but couldnt cause an invisible wall, or the game's rules, or because you cant kill just anyone? Well then have I got a game for you!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
the December King said:
Pseudonym said:
I get what you're saying, but the one running the game, the DM, is expected to be the one telling the story(per se), and the others are just playing characters in the tale.

Some books are great, true. Personally, I've never played any other game, be it digital or tabletop, that has been as fun as roleplaying, and D&D in particular.
Depends on the DM and group. I want to tell my player's stories. Its why I do alot of one on one campaigns with my brother since he is the only of my group who wants to tell his own stories, but I leave alot of gaps in my world with the intent on letting my players fill them in.

Unfortunately most of my other players are either less creative, or less assertive, so I end up having to dictate alot of the story, but I intend on trying new ways to change that.