Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
TBPride said:
If Apple would just price their stuff reasonably they would sell a lot more computers.
Here's the thing, they wont drop the price because will buy them at that price...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
TBPride said:
I'm still trying to puzzle out how the heck you're supposed to find anything on it, since I have no idea where anything default saves to.
C:\Users\\downloads for Windows 7

Or you could go into your internet browser's options and set a destination folder. Should be under Tools>Options.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I have a big Mac with some Windows 7 on the side. I have uses for both, so I don't see why I should have to choose. I like the Mac side better for CS4, messiahStudio5 and whatnot, but I need Windows to access certain things for college and for certain situations which Internet Explorer is the only option (which, yes, has happened before). I would say Windows is good for games too, but this is recently becoming less and less of a problem :)

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
WaaghPowa said:
I've been using windows since the glory days of MS DOS and even dabbled in Linux, to me apple OS is oversimplified like a kiddy playground with all the sharp corners rounded off because they expect to hurt yourself, whereas I see the sharp corners as a potential to learn something and gain some experience.
I taught my 61 year old mother how to use Windows 7 enough for her purposes (which are probably more than a lot of people would expect) and warned her of dire consequences should she feel the need to start clicking things she didn't understand. Even though she's not technologically inclined (to say the least) she hasn't needed a more simplified OS. Sure, every now and then she finds she wants to do something new that she doesn't know to and I have to burn an afternoon teaching it to her but I usually get 2 free homecooked meals out of the deal so I count that a a win for me.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
darth.pixie said:
You can turn the windows 7 security system off. Just saying.
Even with it completely turned off I often find that files and folders I have personally created are not mine and thus to interact with them at all I literally have to hijack the ownership of them.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Hashime said:
Flac00 said:
Hashime said:
Flac00 said:
With an unlimited budget, the mac is the best computer, period. But, because of budget issues most people aren't willing to go mac. Still, the best gaming computer has got to be the Mac Pro, which is already a beast before any upgrades. It has 16 cores!!!
Here are my pros and cons

Mac
Pros:
-High quality software (built in)
-No viruses
-Upgraded iPhone and iPad support
-High quality build in hardware
-Durable hardware
-Can run Windows in Bootcamp

Cons:
-Expensive
-Less customisable (except on Mini's and Pro's)
-Small game library
-Flash is really screwed up
Well, no, 16 cores means absolutely nothing. No game can multi-thread onto 16 cores, and each core is comparatively slow. 16 cores is only good for parallel calculations required for advanced 3-d modeling. Also the graphics card(s) are not fully customizable, and you cannot OC the computer.

For the 10K you would spend on that rig you could build 10 that could do the same.
No viruses is total crap you know that though.
"High Quality" hardware is the same stuff used all computers.
Durable? What if I want a ruggedized unit for a field study? Apple does not make those.
The built in software is no better than what you can get free online or from Microsoft.
Woah, 10k. Naw, it is 2500 to 4000 at most. Also, the computer is extremely powerful in both processing and graphics. I will disagree with you on many points. Sure, the computers arn't field study durable, but you can just buy as hardened case for them. The "High Quality" stuff I am talking about is how the computers DO NOT EVER BREAK DOWN. Literally, i have had a mac for decade and a half, and it still runs fine. And the built in software is better than the PC software. It is more simplistic to do complex maneuvers, and transfer files quickly. I can do things on my mac that take 4x as long on any other PC I have tried (a lot, especially ones with Win7).
You cannot say the computers never break down, if they never broke down why would things like the warranty or apple repair services exist? Since you do not use a windows based computer how can you compare the built in softwares? File transfer also has nothing to do with software, it is a hardware issue, so if the windows computer you used was a cheap library dell I am not surprised. The OS has nothing to do with the speed of the computer. I can Tell me how much you paid for yours and we will benchmark and compare. I paid $1100 to build mine including OS and relevant software. We will see who gets better performance / dollar.
Of coarse they break down, just all the ones I have had have never. I wasn't using a cheap library dell either. One of my parents has a PC, and I use it every once and awhile. Honestly, I don't use it a lot, but enough to understand its basic workings and tricks. When I say "I can do things at least 4x faster on my mac, I mean in simplicity. Whether it is editing a song, transferring documents/games/anything, or even just starting up a program. It is just much easier to do on a mac for me. Sure, cost wise, PCs are better. But Macs are just higher quality and higher grade.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Flac00 said:
Hashime said:
Flac00 said:
Hashime said:
Flac00 said:
With an unlimited budget, the mac is the best computer, period. But, because of budget issues most people aren't willing to go mac. Still, the best gaming computer has got to be the Mac Pro, which is already a beast before any upgrades. It has 16 cores!!!
Here are my pros and cons

Mac
Pros:
-High quality software (built in)
-No viruses
-Upgraded iPhone and iPad support
-High quality build in hardware
-Durable hardware
-Can run Windows in Bootcamp

Cons:
-Expensive
-Less customisable (except on Mini's and Pro's)
-Small game library
-Flash is really screwed up
Well, no, 16 cores means absolutely nothing. No game can multi-thread onto 16 cores, and each core is comparatively slow. 16 cores is only good for parallel calculations required for advanced 3-d modeling. Also the graphics card(s) are not fully customizable, and you cannot OC the computer.

For the 10K you would spend on that rig you could build 10 that could do the same.
No viruses is total crap you know that though.
"High Quality" hardware is the same stuff used all computers.
Durable? What if I want a ruggedized unit for a field study? Apple does not make those.
The built in software is no better than what you can get free online or from Microsoft.
Woah, 10k. Naw, it is 2500 to 4000 at most. Also, the computer is extremely powerful in both processing and graphics. I will disagree with you on many points. Sure, the computers arn't field study durable, but you can just buy as hardened case for them. The "High Quality" stuff I am talking about is how the computers DO NOT EVER BREAK DOWN. Literally, i have had a mac for decade and a half, and it still runs fine. And the built in software is better than the PC software. It is more simplistic to do complex maneuvers, and transfer files quickly. I can do things on my mac that take 4x as long on any other PC I have tried (a lot, especially ones with Win7).
You cannot say the computers never break down, if they never broke down why would things like the warranty or apple repair services exist? Since you do not use a windows based computer how can you compare the built in softwares? File transfer also has nothing to do with software, it is a hardware issue, so if the windows computer you used was a cheap library dell I am not surprised. The OS has nothing to do with the speed of the computer. I can Tell me how much you paid for yours and we will benchmark and compare. I paid $1100 to build mine including OS and relevant software. We will see who gets better performance / dollar.
Of coarse they break down, just all the ones I have had have never. I wasn't using a cheap library dell either. One of my parents has a PC, and I use it every once and awhile. Honestly, I don't use it a lot, but enough to understand its basic workings and tricks. When I say "I can do things at least 4x faster on my mac, I mean in simplicity. Whether it is editing a song, transferring documents/games/anything, or even just starting up a program. It is just much easier to do on a mac for me. Sure, cost wise, PCs are better. But Macs are just higher quality and higher grade.
You cannot say that. There are millions of possible PC builds, many of which are higher quality than an apple computer. Take a Top-end Asus gaming laptop. They are built much better than any mac book. As for simplicity, that is completely subjective (as you noted) and cannot be used in an argument.
You should also look at what the best selling office suite for OSX is.