Poll: Mac versus PC: Let's be nice about it

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
I like both. I just got a new top of the range Macbook Pro and I'm loving that more than the Windows 7 computer I had however. I'm a film student, so I need to use it for editing etc, which is one area where Macs dominate.
I DON'T GET IT! People keep saying this without ANY evidence being quoted EVER :/ There's no way a Macbook can perform as well as a decent PC - I mean, those things start at £1000; you can easily build a decent rig for that, one with more than 4Gb of RAM and all that good stuff you need for processing large video files.

Is it the software? Cos both platforms have decent software, and personally I prefer the Adobe suite, so what is it about Macs that make them "soooo much better" for video editing and other creative pursuits? Where's the evidence?!
Calm down buddy. It's just the fact that you can't get some of the editing software (Such as Final Cut Pro/Studio etc) on PCs and those are the top for video editing.
I had a go on Final Cut Pro earlier - it pales in comparison to Adobe Premiere Pro, lacking so many of the image and animation controls so easily accessible in Premiere. Plus, After Effects; it's Photoshop for videos! So again, it's just the software that makes Macs dominate PCs? Are you sure about that?

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Jamous said:
Faladorian said:
Jamous said:
I usually find Macs are great for creative things, like flash and photoshop sort of stuff and almost everything else. BUT. Most importantly, you cannot game for shit on Macs. Unfortunate as it is. I've been stuck on mine for quite some time, so I've been trying my utmost (and failing) to get my PC back. I have PC games I pre-ordered and haven't played ffs! D;
-snip-
Ok... So could you give me some pointers? I have a Virtual PC (IT DOES NOTHING), not Bootcamp. :S
Bootcamp is already on Macs. If you look under Applications, then go to Utilities, you should find an icon that's the Windows logo on a Mac computer. That's Bootcamp. If you run that, it'll ask you how many gigabytes you want to devote to the Windows partition of your computer. I'd suggest 150GB or so if you want to play a lot of games and not delete them when you're done.

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
Let's put it this way:

MACs are for doing professional work, like digital graphic design, and programming and stuff like that. They're built to create things, and be serious tools for working.
PCs are for having fun, playing games, and making mods of things.

Neither one is "better" they just focus on different things. It's a preference, and it'd be wrong to state one's preference/opinion as fact.
no... MAC's are not for programing! Windows / Linux is for programing. When will you people learn that?

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Faladorian said:
Jamous said:
Faladorian said:
Jamous said:
I usually find Macs are great for creative things, like flash and photoshop sort of stuff and almost everything else. BUT. Most importantly, you cannot game for shit on Macs. Unfortunate as it is. I've been stuck on mine for quite some time, so I've been trying my utmost (and failing) to get my PC back. I have PC games I pre-ordered and haven't played ffs! D;
-snip-
Ok... So could you give me some pointers? I have a Virtual PC (IT DOES NOTHING), not Bootcamp. :S
Bootcamp is already on Macs. If you look under Applications, then go to Utilities, you should find an icon that's the Windows logo on a Mac computer. That's Bootcamp. If you run that, it'll ask you how many gigabytes you want to devote to the Windows partition of your computer. I'd suggest 150GB or so if you want to play a lot of games and not delete them when you're done.
Awesome, thank you very much... Now just to get my dad to actually let me do this. (He's the admin. On my computer. Because he's a twat. >_<) Thanks a bunch Faladorian. :D

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I've got one of each. My parents got me a PC when I graduated high school, but it had tons of issues from the start, and is now essentially, a paper-weight.

I bought the Mac I'm typing this on second hand from a friend about a year ago, and have yet to have any real issues with it aside from losing the ability for PC gaming. (I got an Xbox, so it's not a big deal)

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
I need a Mac for work, and use a Windows pc normally. The Mac hardware is good, although far too expensive. Mac OS is good, but has the occasional very weird design decisions. Windows made some better choices for its shell UI, but is less polished and consistent.

In the end, both operating systems are good enough, at which point the only thing that matters is the applications. The best choice of OS for you will depend on what applications you want to use.

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
I like both. I just got a new top of the range Macbook Pro and I'm loving that more than the Windows 7 computer I had however. I'm a film student, so I need to use it for editing etc, which is one area where Macs dominate.
I DON'T GET IT! People keep saying this without ANY evidence being quoted EVER :/ There's no way a Macbook can perform as well as a decent PC - I mean, those things start at £1000; you can easily build a decent rig for that, one with more than 4Gb of RAM and all that good stuff you need for processing large video files.

Is it the software? Cos both platforms have decent software, and personally I prefer the Adobe suite, so what is it about Macs that make them "soooo much better" for video editing and other creative pursuits? Where's the evidence?!
Calm down buddy. It's just the fact that you can't get some of the editing software (Such as Final Cut Pro/Studio etc) on PCs and those are the top for video editing.
I had a go on Final Cut Pro earlier - it pales in comparison to Adobe Premiere Pro, lacking so many of the image and animation controls so easily accessible in Premiere. Plus, After Effects; it's Photoshop for videos! So again, it's just the software that makes Macs dominate PCs? Are you sure about that?
Point well made man. I've tried both as well and I prefer Final Cut and Macs. And you can't Deny that Macs are used more for editing etc though.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
TheTaco007 said:
Let's put it this way:

MACs are for doing professional work, like digital graphic design, and programming and stuff like that. They're built to create things, and be serious tools for working.
PCs are for having fun, playing games, and making mods of things.

Neither one is "better" they just focus on different things. It's a preference, and it'd be wrong to state one's preference/opinion as fact.
Programming...eh no I give that to linux. Macs can program to but linux seems to be the better choice in it.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
While I do think Macs are fantastic, I do prefer Windows, because it's a bit more open. I love Linux as well, but it doesn't work on my laptop, and I like the programs currently only available on Windows.

Really, it depends what I want to do. Internet, then probably Linux, as it's small, and fast. Windows for games, and Mac for some more serious stuff. I don't know why I think of Macs as serious, though it may be the serious prices.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
With an unlimited budget, the mac is the best computer, period. But, because of budget issues most people aren't willing to go mac. Still, the best gaming computer has got to be the Mac Pro, which is already a beast before any upgrades. It has 16 cores!!!
Here are my pros and cons

Mac
Pros:
-High quality software (built in)
-No viruses
-Upgraded iPhone and iPad support
-High quality build in hardware
-Durable hardware
-Can run Windows in Bootcamp

Cons:
-Expensive
-Less customisable (except on Mini's and Pro's)
-Small game library
-Flash is really screwed up

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:

Point well made man. I've tried both as well and I prefer Final Cut and Macs. And you can't Deny that Macs are used more for editing etc though.
Doesn't make them better, just that there's a stereotype about the hardware in the industry that's largely irrelevant these days. It's like saying Windows 'dominates' Macs at word processing because of Office - there's alternatives not just for the other platform but multiple other choices on both of them, it's just that the majority people are used to working a certain way on certain hardware with certain software, so why change? It's when you turn around and say, 'I've been using a Mac all my life, but I wanted to write an essay so a bought a PC' that things are ridiculous. That was where my incredulity stemmed from back in the first response. I think it still stands, really, but if you really want to use Final Cut more power to you. I hope the £1000-£1600 laptop was worth it :/

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Self built pc is the way to go for me, first off im a gamer, so mac is really not an option, Second I really hate mac for overpricing their products so unbelievably much, I hate how people think that they are virus proof, Theres a reason there are no viruses for them, until recently no one cared enough about them to make viruses for them, Give it a few years and theyll have just as many problems, I think the single thing macs have over pcs are the touchpads on laptops... those are much better

Flac00

May 19, 2010
Exterminas said:
Uh. This question is pointless unless you ask what you want to do with the bloody thing. Do you want to work? To you want to work whily moving? Want gaming? Want both?

Want to use a mac for gaming? Have fun. PC-Gaming already suffers from poor console-ports, not being able to play many games is certainly not a selling point for me.

If there was a objective way of deterimnate which product is best, then there wouldn't be two products.
For the gaming part it is negated by the fact that macs can run Windows natively. So yes, macs can run all the games that windows does.

pliusmannn

Dec 4, 2008
i prefer windows more, actually im starting to like Linux the most, but now windows is just cheap enough and good enough for me

Mister Eff

Apr 11, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:
Wicky_42 said:
Mister Eff said:

Doesn't make them better, just that there's a stereotype about the hardware in the industry that's largely irrelevant these days. It's like saying Windows 'dominates' Macs at word processing because of Office - there's alternatives not just for the other platform but multiple other choices on both of them, it's just that the majority people are used to working a certain way on certain hardware with certain software, so why change? It's when you turn around and say, 'I've been using a Mac all my life, but I wanted to write an essay so a bought a PC' that things are ridiculous. That was where my incredulity stemmed from back in the first response. I think it still stands, really, but if you really want to use Final Cut more power to you. I hope the £1000-£1600 laptop was worth it :/
You can get Microsoft Office itself for Mac btw. And the laptop cost me nothing. I got it free with my Disabled Student Allowance. Worth every damn penny ;)

Flac00

May 19, 2010
DuctTapeJedi said:
I've got one of each. My parents got me a PC when I graduated high school, but it had tons of issues from the start, and is now essentially, a paper-weight.

I bought the Mac I'm typing this on second hand from a friend about a year ago, and have yet to have any real issues with it aside from losing the ability for PC gaming. (I got an Xbox, so it's not a big deal)
You tried bootcamp? It helps a lot. I can't run it on my mac since it is a G5 (non intel core), so no boot for me.

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
THEY'RE BOTH PCs. PC STANDS FOR PERSONAL COMPUTER.
[/rage]
Seriously, that's my largest pet peeve about these threads.

On topic, I've grown up with Windows, so I'm attuned to its quirks. I've used Macs before, and I can see their use for graphic design. However, as a PC gamer, I think I'll stick to my Windows rig.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Flac00 said:
DuctTapeJedi said:

You tried bootcamp? It helps a lot. I can't run it on my mac since it is a G5 (non intel core), so no boot for me.
Nah, I'm not really good with computers.