Poll: Mario Gets a Sex Change

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Clearing the Eye said:
Nouw said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Nouw said:
Scarim Coral said:
Sorry but am I the only one who see that image as a young Mario crossdressing?
You certainly aren't. In fact, the face and hair looks identical to many male, manga/anime characters. In my eyes anyway >_>.
Maybe you want her to be a trap. Huh? Huh? *nudge* *nudge* ;P

I think it's just because she looks like a tomboy. Her features are soft enough to be a girl, but she's a bit boyish.
[sub]Abort Nouw, Abort! HE KNOWS![/sub]

Yeah definitely, nothing about her really stands out to me as feminine aside from her attire.
I'm no feminist and (like you, probably) I'm really tired of how over the top so much of the debate has become, but in a way, that she's tomboyish and spunky, without being overtly feminine, could be seen as a nice thing. You might not like it, but do you think it's at least good she's not stereotypical and such? For a cartoon character, regardless of taste, she's done "right" in my opinion.
Eh for me this is going into the other extreme of being oversexualized. There needs to be some kind of distinguishing female feature because this is just being lazy. This kind of stuff should be discouraged just as much as oversexualization in my opinion. It's not hard to do it, I mean look at Relish in Chaos's example.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I think a female version of Mario would be interesting. I don't like that picture because it doesn't fit with the art style of Mario games. That picture just says to me, cute little girl anime.

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
If they made a game with her instead of Mario, it'd still the same old recipe of sheer boredom...

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh, I don't like it. It's not the concept so much[footnote]though granted, I'm not much a fan of retooling characters like this without good reason[/footnote], but the character design of the image. As repeatedly noted, she looks way too young, to the extent that I'd wonder if a male of similar apparent age could even be expected to have a full moustache, much less the bushy one we're all familiar with. And then there's the matter of weight (again, as noted priorly) and the general costume design, which strikes me as wrong for the character regardless of gender. Let's face it, at the end of the day, Mario's an Italian in overalls, practically the definitive 'work clothes'. And in the image we see "Maria" wearing a frilly dress...which is a more than a small shift, and an incredibly poor design choice for a character whose definitive attack involves jumping on the heads of enemies.

What I'm trying to get at, of course, is that at the end of the day this just feels less like "Mario/Maria" than it does a little girl whose mommy and daddy dressed her up in the colors of Mushroom Kingdom's hero. Add some age, some weight and more practical attire and maybe it could work, but the design in the OP...no.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Tenmar said:
Clearing the Eye said:
I can't be the only one that thinks she looks fucking awesome. If they made a game with her in it, I'd buy it just to watch her animations - she's adorable! Ignoring all nostalgia for the mustached plumber, do you think Maria looks better than her male equivalent?
You should see the female mega man flash game. But that is some well drawn art. Maybe she will get her own flash game.
Oh Jesus Christ. Don't Google image search female Megaman with safe search off.

The horror...

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
It's a gender swap, no.
I'd probably love my clone but not a gender swapped one, that would just feel wrong.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I think its amazing.

You know, some people say "oh its too young, Mario needs to be older and hairier"......and then I think.....why does Mario HAVE to be the way he is when the games he is in look like FUACKIN DIS!!!!!

And yes she is obviously too young to be a plumber....BUT WHEN DOES MARIO ACTUALLY DO ANY PLUMBING IN HIS GAMES?!? I'm using caps lock to show my confusion of such meaningless counterpoints.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Tenmar said:
Clearing the Eye said:
Oh Jesus Christ. Don't Google image search female Megaman with safe search off.

The horror...
In my defense I did not tell you to google any variation including the words female mega man. Remember rule 34 before you do something that crazy again.
I didn't listen! I didn't listen...

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Don Savik said:
And yes she is obviously too young to be a plumber....BUT WHEN DOES MARIO ACTUALLY DO ANY PLUMBING IN HIS GAMES?!? I'm using caps lock to show my confusion of such meaningless counterpoints.
You go down some pipes. That's kind of plumbing :p

I agree with a lot of the criticism, myself. But I love Maria <3

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Yes, she looks nice, but no, I don't prefer her to Mario.

Mario grew on me too much to be replaced.

Mysterious Druid

May 27, 2012
Only if it's a new character.

Officially gender-swapping pre-existing characters is just about the most absurd and pointless thing a developer could do.