Poll: Martial Arts - Yay or Nay?

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
I just started doing Taido (not Tai-do, there's a big difference!) a few months back and I'm loving it. I also have some experience from Judo and Iaido, but I'm not doing them anymore.

I like practicing martial arts because they're fun way of keeping fit. I hate it when people say things like "it's not really useful in real life situations", because I just don't give a shit! I'm not planning on beating up people, and in Finland I don't even have to be afraid of getting mugged so martial arts are purely a form of exercise for me.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Grimbold said:
I am doing Kung-Fu since two years. It won't help much against Knife-wielding Turks or well-trained boxers but it's keeping me fit. Somewhat.
What kind of Kung-Fu are you taking? I was taught how to handle a knife and even guns at "hold up" positions and "assassin" position.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
dogstile said:
Tried karate, didn't like it. I prefer fighting my own way anyway, so bleh
Karate is very systematic and relies heavily on forms. It's not very good for everyday fighting since once that form is disrupted, unless you know how to immediately adapt to that situation, you've screwed yourself over. Only masters are really effective in that style.

A good base for self defenses involves knowing how to quickly block a strike and knowing what your options are from that position. Martial arts relies heavily on body mechanics, no matter what style, and should be one of the first things taught, followed by showing how to effectively use them.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
BlakBladz said:
mm...different forms of kung fu for as long as i can remember (and am still practicing) - currently a northern dragon style and a southern dragon...but in my travels I've dont some ninjutsu, 2 forms of karate, muay thai and wing chun....and I have a bokken but havent found a good enough teacher.

People have tried mugging me 14 times. 5 people have broken into my home (with me still in it) and I've come out of 3 gang fights relatively fine...So I'm all for martial arts - It is NOT to be fucked with.
I envy your dedication friend. I've been meaning to take up my training again, my reflexes have dulled and my groundfighting is hazy... Doing a few kicks and basic defenses to the air does not suffice...

-sad face-

Borania

Aug 24, 2009
I've practiced judo for about 8 years. have been boxing the last year. and the last few years of judo I also dabbled in karate/jiu jitsu. Still want to try Muay Thai, krav maga and maybe wushu. so ye, love martial arts.

About the penn&teller: bullshit! Episode. They said that, if you start practicing martial arts as a means to defend yourself from muggings, it is not effective. Amongst other things because it costs more money than you are statistically likely to lose from muggings, you can get injured and it is always better to just give the mugger your money and run away from fights. Now, in my opinion, any decent Martial Arts instructor will say this clearly and very often: do not get into fights, do not think you can beat people. in a dangerous situation: run away.

So yes, they are right in calling it bullshit. But that is only if you practice martial arts for that specific reason.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
In addition to Aikido, I also stud, Brazilian jujitsu, capoeira, Boxing, kick boxing, MMA Striking, kenjutsu, Nitenryu kenjutsu, monkey paw striking, plus some other more experimental stuff that I sort of invented.

I don't bother grading in most of them, but in aikido I'm a 2nd kyu with about 4 years experience behind me.

In answer to your question I think martial arts are really important and if more people understood them the world would be a much much safer place.

liness

Aug 28, 2010
I am doing Muay thai for a year now really awesome way to do when your bored

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
Eico said:
Shade184 said:
Eico said:
I do not.

I saw a Penn and Teller: Bullshit! episode on martial arts a while back. Pretty much proved what a bad thing they are. Interesting stuff.
P&T are awesome. They can prove just about anything, those guys.

However, when I was still doing Zen Do Kai, I had never had more fun in my life, plus the confidence boost and the fitness aspects were both incredible. I can't wait to get back into it.
Me too. P&T are amazingly intelligent and hilarious.

Basically, they proved martial arts to be a terribly ineffective self-defense tool. Not that there is anything wrong with fun. If it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, go ahead, right?
No offence to Penn and teller (i don't know who they are sorry) but that sounds like an extremely ignorant thing to say. For a start it's a blanket statement that relates to maybe 2% of all martial arts and is totally untrue for the remaining 98%. The applications of martial arts in terms of conflict management alone are vast and abundantly obvious to anyone who has examined them even a little bit, and that's even if you ignore all of the other amazing things that can be gained from practicing them.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I dabbled in TaeKwonDo (Olympic) as a teenager, got to green belt. Would have been higher but kept missing gradings!

In college I did a bit of the Keysi Fighting Method.
(The fighting system they taught Christian Bale for Batman Begins). Sadly, I picked up an injury out of my own carelessness and couldn't train, fell out of practice, got lazy... and here I am on the Teh Internetz feeling my ass grow!

My little brother did Judo for a couple of years, then recently took up Kung Fu (which he loved). I believe he studied the Shaolin variant of the martial art.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Eico said:
Anah said:
Eico said:
I saw a Penn and Teller: Bullshit! episode on martial arts a while back. Pretty much proved what a bad thing they are. Interesting stuff.
So, because a pair of popular smart-asses have an opinion, you believe practising Martial Arts is inherently dangerous (and that they are inefficient)? Very, errrr... intelligent.

No one can argue that the best defence is to avoid a confrontation to begin with, but to brush the ability to fend for yourself in case of an emergency under the carpet is ridiculous and as close minded as it can possibly get.

I am also fairly certain that more people hurt themselves practising [insert favourite sport with an inclination towards bodily harm] than getting robbed.
While facing a mugger with a gun, Penn and Teller say:

"If we had invested in martial arts training, we could try to go all Bruce Lee on their asses. But a few years ago, we did the arithmetic, and we figured that Karate lessons?even kids? Karate lessons?would cost us a grand or more a year, for each of us. And the hours we spent in class, and driving to the dojo, and practicing and sweating and bowing and Fuck that! We have a better, cheaper, and less risky self-defense system. [Penn hands over his wallet and watch.]"

I agree with the above.

That's all well and fine, but I started martial arts after a flat-mate of mine was raped.

Say what you will, but spending however many hours a week fighting is going to make you better at fighting, provided it is representative of a true confrontation. If I was being robbed, I'd hand over my stuff provided they have a weapon. If however, the attacker is after my life, or to cause harm to myself or any other person, I don't see an alternative than taking them down, if I can't just run away.

Grimbold

Nov 19, 2009
Okysho said:
Grimbold said:
I am doing Kung-Fu since two years. It won't help much against Knife-wielding Turks or well-trained boxers but it's keeping me fit. Somewhat.
What kind of Kung-Fu are you taking? I was taught how to handle a knife and even guns at "hold up" positions and "assassin" position.
Nam Wah Pai.
Yes, there are these techniques, but non the less my sifu told me that the best thing to do when facing guys with knives is to just run. There are these stories of the doorman who got his belly slit open and the black-belt who got his skull cracked by an iron bar from behind. Martial arts can improve an average trainees odds in a fair fight. But when things get unfair John Doe should just run for it.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Gordon_4 said:
I study a system known as Jishukan Jujitsu. It combines elements of modified Jujitsu (joint locks, pressure points and soft targets), Judo (throwing), Karate (kicks and certain methods of punching or other hand strikes), boxing and recently one sensei has been suplimenting our grappling with BJJ. In short, they aim to train us in such a way that we are well rounded, capable martial artists who will unleash our inner mongrel when required.
Judo's not just throwing. Judo actually incorporates a large amount of groundwork. In my experience it is about 50/50 however some people use about 90% ground work and 10% take down style throws (Leg sweeps etc rather than shoulder throws).

Judo also incorporates chokes, strangles (there's a difference), arm bars and wrist locks in ground work.

More similar to Jujitsu than many believe. I have seen people who've only ever practiced Jujitsu compete in Judo tournaments and visa versa.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
yay, did karate from 13 to 17, ended as a red belt, also learned wrestling (greco-roman) and a little bit of situational combat, i do it more for the fitness then learning to actually fight, altho it means i have very rarely lost a fight when they occur

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Grimbold said:
Considering the average 2 year old can barely stand let alone perform Kung-Fu... (Unless you ment "I've been doing Kung-Fu for 2 years")

OT: Jujitsu mostly and Ninjitsu from my old teacher, I stopped offically going early 2010 but I still train my body and mind at home, it's just not offical grading and all that jizz.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
StBishop said:
Gordon_4 said:
I study a system known as Jishukan Jujitsu. It combines elements of modified Jujitsu (joint locks, pressure points and soft targets), Judo (throwing), Karate (kicks and certain methods of punching or other hand strikes), boxing and recently one sensei has been suplimenting our grappling with BJJ. In short, they aim to train us in such a way that we are well rounded, capable martial artists who will unleash our inner mongrel when required.
Judo's not just throwing. Judo actually incorporates a large amount of groundwork. In my experience it is about 50/50 however some people use about 90% ground work and 10% take down style throws (Leg sweeps etc rather than shoulder throws).

Judo also incorporates chokes, strangles (there's a difference), arm bars and wrist locks in ground work.

More similar to Jujitsu than many believe. I have seen people who've only ever practiced Jujitsu compete in Judo tournaments and visa versa.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu comes from Judo Carlos Gracie watched a demonstration by Mitsuyo Maeda and became a student of his and from there he developed BJJ

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Kenpo Karate Since I was 6, 2nd degree Black Belt. I'm 19 now. Ju-Jitsu since I was 16 Purple belt.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
I do European longsword. It's useless for self-defense (unless you happen to have a longsword handy), but it's fun and good exercise. I've been doing it for about 6 months.