Poll: mass effect: The council

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I have four seperate games, two for paragon and two for renegade. As well, two the council lived and two they died. Regardless, Anderson was put in charge, as Udina is a jackass...

guidance

Dec 9, 2010
I didn't save them because, first they stood in my way, second even if they were doing what they thought was a good decision their lives aren't worth the ones that would have to die to save them. Once I played mass effect 2 I regretted my decision because they replaced the council with all humans, that's a terrible idea.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
It's a split for me - most of the time I don't save them but I have a couple of games where I did.

The first few times I chose Anderson. But after seeing how much he hates the job in ME2 and realising that no matter which choice you make Udina ends up in the job anyway, I've either chosen Udina or said screw it, work it out yourself ever since.

Long story short, dead council / Udina is my most common configuration.

Micromyni

Jan 26, 2012
I saved the council. All three of them didn't deserve to die just because I hated the turian and appointed Anderson because Udina's a douchenozzle.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
I let them die. Tactical decision. Without the hindsight of knowing every Paragon decision works out okay I thought the game would do a bait at switch at the last moment and this could've gone badly wrong.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
winginson said:
I'm going for my first playthrough here, which I did as a "what would I do run?" and ended council dead anderson.

My reasons. You are specifically told that saving the Acension will result in many casulties, possibly meaning not there will not be enough ships left to beat Sovereign. Under those circumstances the only logical choice is to let them die so everyone in the galaxy doesn't.

Yes I know that Shepard was always gonna win and after seeing both endings there is no real difference whether they live or die. I really think there should of been more difference depending on what happened.
In the second game everyone in the Citadel is pissed at you for getting their counsel killed.

I went with "counsel alive, anderson": despite the counsel being a bother more often that not, I have a problem letting named characters die, even if they're a huge minority. And Udina would've just hampered Shepard had he become counsellor.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Save the council, worth it if only for...

And Anderson's the only choice

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Save the Council, Anderson.

It's better to have a united galaxy behind a multi-race council. And I wouldn't trust Udina with my dry-cleaning, let alone my government.

Foxblade618

Apr 27, 2011
Saved the council, only to save the Ascension though. I thought that if the Reapers were coming, every dreadnought would count, especially the biggest, most powerful one. And Anderson, of course, even if he did leave his post later on.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
I killed the council. Screw them. They deserved to die goddamn politicians.
And I picked Anderson of course. What kind of idiot picks Udina? Reminds me of people who stay in abusive relationships.

Was it moral? Probably not.

Hilarious? You betcha.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
aegix drakan said:
I killed off the council and picked anderson.

...No wait, hear me out!

There was a reaper PLUGGED INTO THE CITADEL. Every second counted. I was NOT about to waste time saving a council that can be replaced (and was also pretty useless) when the Galaxy is on the line.
I totally understand, and when I chose to save the council I felt I was taking a huge risk. I did think that if assisted, the Ascension could use its (as the into called it) "main gun [that can] rip through the barriers on any ship in the Alliance fleet" to help murderify the giant mecha-cthulhu that was attempting to tentacle rape all living things.

I also knew how important the Council was in terms of what it stands for. Yes they tend to be very ineffectual, but losing them would be worse than losing all of the members of the UN security council and the Presidents/Prime Misters/whatevers of the respective countries.

But on half of my playthroughs I had to let the council die[footnote]well, i had a psycho playthough that wanted the council to die, but she's bonkers[/footnote], and some of them weren't even Renegade! [small]she's just very risk-adverse[/small]

Edit: Also, there are currently 5 people who have no souls. Seriously, why vote in Udina? The guy's a spineless jerk! Yes, he's an actual politician, but Anderson will do the work he has to do! Udina will just make humanity look worse.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
endtherapture said:
I killed the Council, because there was a Reaper about to destroy all life on the galaxy, I didn't know the consequences so I just focused on attacking Sovereign. It was the only logical choice.

I thought i'd get a multicultural council with Anderson present, but I didn't, was a little disappointing.

ShadowsofHope said:
I always save the Council in the end, either on my Renegade or Paragon playthroughs.

Simply because, the Council is crucial towards the greater picture of a united galaxy in preparation to face the Reapers. The Council dying is essentially the greatest selfish act you can perform in that scenario, elevating humanity above everyone and everything else (mostly due to petty vengeance) in order to complete your objective and leaving the galaxy in a state of civil unrest. Which no less, is a pretty damning thing when the Reaper invasion actually does begin, and the Humans and Turians are still taking shots at each other at the expense of the greater picture.
I wouldn't say it's petty vengeance, sure I didn't like the Council but I was doing it to save the galaxy, you think in the moment. If Sovereign hadn't been defeated then there might not have been a galaxy to unite.
However, you end up defeating Sovereign by defeating Saren with Sovereign's conscience linked to him temporarily, fleet or no fleet. The fleet is just there to pound on the outer shell of Sovereign's form, and soften him up for the final blow from the Normandy. Not even the entire Alliance Fleet could make Sovereign flinch, so quite frankly, sacrificing the Council to allow more ships to engage Sovereign is more or less pointless in the end. You are losing what equates to the UN of the Mass Effect universe, that ties all of the races together in the galaxy, with little to no extra benefit against Sovereign from it.

Tree man said:
ShadowsofHope said:
I always save the Council in the end, either on my Renegade or Paragon playthroughs.

Simply because, the Council is crucial towards the greater picture of a united galaxy in preparation to face the Reapers. The Council dying is essentially the greatest selfish act you can perform in that scenario, elevating humanity above everyone and everything else (mostly due to petty vengeance) in order to complete your objective and leaving the galaxy in a state of civil unrest. Which no less, is a pretty damning thing when the Reaper invasion actually does begin, and the Humans and Turians are still taking shots at each other at the expense of the greater picture.
...The irony of having that argument with the picture of a character who is the epitome of 'for the greater good' as your avatar.

OT: I saved them, They are crucial and I had a feeling that if I didn't it would come back to bite me in the ass at some point.
..I can see your point, but my avatar is more or less just for the look. The character himself wasn't all that important towards choosing it.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
I saved the council for my Paragon character(it was the "Right Thing To Do" my Paragon Shep is a bit of a lapdog...)

I killed the councel for my Renegade Shep because fuck those assholes!

I think we can(mostly) all agree on one thing though...fuck Udina! Anderson's the man!

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
I have so far saved the council and gone with Anderson every time. Though if I got the chance to plug brain dead Turian myself, personally... well. Shepherd PUNCH....out window...shoot on way down...keep shooting...fire off the Cain, just to make sure. :) And then perhaps have Garrus test out his calibrations on his smudge.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
I love how almost no one has voted for appointing Udina. That guy was an ass, and I loved the part where he got a mouthful of fist. Go Anderson!

I saved the council. I only really hated the Turian, the other two weren't that bad. They were just doing their job. Also, I was looking forward to that sweet, sweet moment of "I told you so."

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Saved them and picked Anderson. But I regret that I picked him. Even tho I hate Udina, I think that he would be the better one.

Udina is a jerk, but he knows all the small politician tricks. Anderson is green in politics. You can see how the council just ignores him. Yes, Udina doesn't believe in Reaper, but once he finds out the truth, he will be able to persuade the council. Anderson on the other hand does believe you, but he can't persuade the council into doing anything.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I did 2 playthroughs pure renegade and pure paragon, so both kill and save the council. However, if I was actually making the choice I'd let the council die, they're just a bunch of ineffectual inept morons, Shepard could throw all the evidence in the world in front of them that the Reapers exist and that they're coming, but they'd never listen, people like that shouldn't be politicans, simple as that.

As for Anderson vs Udina, nobody in their right mind would choose Udina. Not only is he a prick, he's just another brainless politican like they are, so it would be redundant to have Udina on the council.

I haven't actually gone all the way through either playthough with mass effect 2 yet, so I can't comment on what the results would be. (I'm Paragon right now, and from what I've seen so far the Council is no better, if Anderson wasn't on there'd be no hope for them whatsoever.)

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
I have three paragon Shepards and one renegade Shepard. The paragon Shepards all save the council and give the recommendation to Anderson, just to see that smug sonuvabish Udina pissed off. My renegade does the opposite, just to see some variation in the game.