Poll: ME3 EC didn't fix anything

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
snowplow said:
The extended cut didn't fix anything because it CAN'T. The problem is fundamental in the entire ME3 game, in the fact that none of your previous actions have any affect on the ultimate outcome.
Eh, I've seen this argument and I'm not buying it. Most of your previous actions DO affect the outcome, it's just that the effect is felt much earlier in the game, and isn't necessarily as impactful as you might have expected (but then, it's just unreasonable to expect ALL those decisions to have a huge impact.)

No, the problem with the ending is that there's no happy ending whatsoever. That's my problem with it. And the writers can fuck right off with their stupid "life doesn't always have happy endings" bullshit, because this is a game, not life. I played a badass superhero in this game, and I expected to save the universe in a more significant way than merely preventing the extinction of all life.
You ever hear that Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

If you want videogames to grow as an art form, then you have to allow them to challenge you and your tolerance for unhappiness, because when a game reflects something honest about life, that you won't always get a happy ending, that's art.

I think the ending does a bad job of this and other things (like good storytelling), but I still love the series. I can deal with a bad ending because I have real problems in real life.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Bat Vader said:
Adam Jensen said:
There's been some development. Fans have already found something interesting in some of the DLC files that might hint to another DLC focusing on the origins of the Reapers, featuring a rogue Reaper and possibly a new squad mate. Now the only question is, is this going to be a DLC, a full expansion or a new game? Or maybe nothing. And if it is a DLC, is it a prequel or post-end DLC. Check it out it's interesting.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12777408/5
That does sound pretty interesting. I would love to get a Rogue Reaper on my side to help in the fight for Earth. That or build a bunch of Star Destroyers,
Considering the relative sizes and weaponry of Mass Effect and Star Wars, having a fleet of Star Destroyers would have negated the need for the crucible anyways. Star Destroyers are just shy of a Sovereign Reaper in length, and they pack turbolasers, which operate as large scale particle weaponry. Reaper beams are particle weapons as well, so having a couple hundred ISDs would even the playing field.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I saw EC endings on YouTube, and now I'm here to vent.

Did you all forget that the existence of starchild practically turns the entire plot of Mass Effect 1 into one giant plot hole? Why did Sovereign need Saren to fix the Citadel signal if starchild was always there? How did the protheans manage to sabotage the Citadel if the starchild has the ability to get into your head? Should we simply assume that a bunch of protheans were able to do all that and there was nothing the starchild could have done to stop them? We shouldn't assume that, because most people know by now what the original plot was supposed to be. And there was never any starchild in it.

Who created the starchild? Organics? Then why doesn't he simply protect the organics against the synthetics? Why don't the Reapers simply destroy the synthetics? Why are they waiting in dark space? Wouldn't it be easier for them to just roam around the galaxy making sure we don't create A.I.? Seems like an easier solution. And a more logical one.
What if synthetics created the Catalyst? That's even dumber. Synthetics created an A.I in order to protect the organics against the synthetics by killing organics.
Don't watch only the ending listens the new dialogue of the Star Childs he explain a lot of your questions

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
008Zulu said:
endtherapture said:
What about Dragon Age then...

Kill the Dragon...marry the Queen...live happily ever after, that's one of the endings you can get.
Was that in one of the DLC's? As I recall once the "Dragon" was dead, the world was still a step or two away from ending. And I aimed for the best possible outcome.
That's in origin, original ending, with male human noble warden it's possible to do that and by dragon he meant the archdemon i assume

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
CaptOfSerenity said:
everythingbeeps said:
snowplow said:
The extended cut didn't fix anything because it CAN'T. The problem is fundamental in the entire ME3 game, in the fact that none of your previous actions have any affect on the ultimate outcome.
Eh, I've seen this argument and I'm not buying it. Most of your previous actions DO affect the outcome, it's just that the effect is felt much earlier in the game, and isn't necessarily as impactful as you might have expected (but then, it's just unreasonable to expect ALL those decisions to have a huge impact.)

No, the problem with the ending is that there's no happy ending whatsoever. That's my problem with it. And the writers can fuck right off with their stupid "life doesn't always have happy endings" bullshit, because this is a game, not life. I played a badass superhero in this game, and I expected to save the universe in a more significant way than merely preventing the extinction of all life.

If you want videogames to grow as an art form, then you have to allow them to challenge you and your tolerance for unhappiness, because when a game reflects something honest about life, that you won't always get a happy ending, that's art.

I think the ending does a bad job of this and other things (like good storytelling), but I still love the series. I can deal with a bad ending because I have real problems in real life.
1. They are not "challenging me and my tolerance for unhappiness". That's like saying Twilight challenges you. No. It's shitty writing. That's all. I don't have to allow them to write shitty stories or shitty endings. There's no excuse for that. While I would prefer a happy ending, I'd at least be satisfied with one that isn't poorly written. This was neither.

2. I don't buy the whole "real problems in real life" bullshit. That's not an excuse to put up with shitty entertainment. Quite the opposite. Entertainment's supposed to help you cope with/forget your "real problems", and when it fails so completely as ME3 did, that's especially bad. I also hate the argument, implicit in your statement, that just because there are things that are worse than ME3 endings, that doesn't let ME3 off the hook.

gwilym101

Sep 12, 2011
The EC did explain Joker flying away as it was an ordered retreat.

Plus it showed that the catalyst kid is wrong, using circular logic as opposed to be ambiguous as to whether is was just shit writing.

Do wish there were more different endings and could be much better.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I made an otherwise completely shitty ending into a decent, if fundamentally flawed one. I'd say that's an improvement. Since I knew going in that god-child and space magic weren't going to be fixed, I'm satisfied with the Extended Cut overall.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
raptor1181 said:
In my ending shephed slaps the star child and tells him to get the hell out of our universe!!!!
And then what? You get the Refusal ending, and everyone dies. Heh.

OT: The EC was okay. It fixed some of the things that bothered me and gave some closure. But the ending itself is still pretty weak. I expected much better from BioWare.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It should have been clear that it won't "fix" anything the moment they said they would "explain" that trainwreck of an ending rather than retaking it.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
The only thing that really bothered me about the first endings was that they didn't explain why joker was fleeing with the Normandy and how my team mates got back to the ship. With the new endings, they cleared that up and that is all I really wanted.

I like all the additional cutscenes they gave us (love the memorial scene and shepard's monologue for the control ending) and the extra dialogue options with the Star Child, all in all I'm more then satisfied. Sure the Star Child could have been done better but I'm ok with it as it is, kinda wish we could of had a battle with Harbinger though...but whats done is done. Bioware redeemed themselves in my eyes and I will still continue to call this series the best gaming series I have ever played.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I have a question. If the Citadel is the home of the Star Child, and if the Star Child controls the reapers, then wouldn't it just be easier to blow the Citadel up? Wasn't that tried in a previous game by... someone?

CaptOfSerenity

Mar 8, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
CaptOfSerenity said:
everythingbeeps said:
snowplow said:

1. They are not "challenging me and my tolerance for unhappiness". That's like saying Twilight challenges you. No. It's shitty writing. That's all. I don't have to allow them to write shitty stories or shitty endings. There's no excuse for that. While I would prefer a happy ending, I'd at least be satisfied with one that isn't poorly written. This was neither.

2. I don't buy the whole "real problems in real life" bullshit. That's not an excuse to put up with shitty entertainment. Quite the opposite. Entertainment's supposed to help you cope with/forget your "real problems", and when it fails so completely as ME3 did, that's especially bad. I also hate the argument, implicit in your statement, that just because there are things that are worse than ME3 endings, that doesn't let ME3 off the hook.
1. ME3 might not have been challenging in a good way, but you do say you don't want games to challenge you. You say entertainment is an escape: art is more than that. It does help people with real shit, but just because you didn't like the way it went down doesn't mean nobody did.

It seems like a whole bunch of people had a very specific way the series should end in their heads, beyond the vagueness of good writing, and since that didn't happen, they got pissed. You have to realize that entertainment and art are not always going to give you what you expected, especially if you want specific things. We should have gotten better endings, yes, but to threaten, yell, and hurl every shitty insult at Bioware, who made two games you fuckers know you loved, is absolutely repulsive.

If only the reaction was "Hey, Bioware, can we talk a little bit about this ending," then we might not be in this shitstorm we're in now. Hell, they might have made a better extended cut. But, no...

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
CaptOfSerenity said:
1. ME3 might not have been challenging in a good way, but you do say you don't want games to challenge you. You say entertainment is an escape: art is more than that. It does help people with real shit, but just because you didn't like the way it went down doesn't mean nobody did.

It seems like a whole bunch of people had a very specific way the series should end in their heads, beyond the vagueness of good writing, and since that didn't happen, they got pissed. You have to realize that entertainment and art are not always going to give you what you expected, especially if you want specific things. We should have gotten better endings, yes, but to threaten, yell, and hurl every shitty insult at Bioware, who made two games you fuckers know you loved, is absolutely repulsive.

If only the reaction was "Hey, Bioware, can we talk a little bit about this ending," then we might not be in this shitstorm we're in now. Hell, they might have made a better extended cut. But, no...
Again, "challenging" doesn't mean "challenging our tolerance for bullshit". It's supposed to mean "making us think and contemplate". ME3's ending doesn't do this. It does the first thing.

You're trying way too hard to defend that shitty ending, and you're overusing the word "art", as if it's a defense for laziness and carelessness. It's not.

Look, I've admitted plenty of times that when this backlash first started, I was planted firmly on Bioware's side, and it was almost entirely because of how unreasonable the venom was. Now that I have distance from it, I can say, without all that rage, that the ending fucking blew. Not because it wasn't what I wanted, but because it was a piece of shit by any measure. And given the chance to fix it, Bioware instead gave us this horseshit about "artistic integrity". It was pure stubbornness.

And your suggestion that Bioware deliberately skimped on the EC doesn't really help anything; it makes Bioware seem every bit as childish and petulant as that fuckface who complained to the BBB.

And for the record, Bioware didn't make two games I loved. They made like five. Five and a half, let's say. Which makes it all the more disappointing when they thoroughly fuck up the ending to ME3.

And hey Escapist, cut the shit with all these goddamn captchas.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while i'm surprised by the number of people ok with the EC (which is better then before, not that that's saying much, i liked the control and synthesis endings my self)

the number of people STILL but hurt over what amounts to nothing is ether really funny or really pathetic, i can't decide. games have had shit endings for years, games have ended with plot holes for years, hell games have had shitty endings with plot holes for years, Mass Effect ending as such isn't special, its normal.

'it didn't fix anything', really >.> did none of you read the releases about it? its an EXPANSION, on what was already there, not the total revision you seemed to have been hoping for. it was meant solely to explain what happened a bit better and that's it.

that said, i do have some issue with these new endings.
they all end with 'we rebuild' >.> .... now, i like the extra detail they put in the ends as far as explaining things go, but really >.> they went the 'rainbows and sunshine' rout?
fucking, lame

the 'refuse ending', fucking SUCKS. not cause every one dies, but because every one dies, OFF SCREEN. i was talking about this with a friend and we both pretty much decided that the better way to do this ending would have been like the end of Halo Reach, IE where you get thrown into a battle you have no chance of winning and you fight for as long as you can before they eventually get you. hell, a slide show detailing how bad you got your asses kicked would a been better then 'you lost :D haha' OR, throw you into a seemingly hopeless battle where your readieness level ya know, matters and you pull that upset win you wanted

ether way 'Refusal' had some potential to be good, but, it's Bioware, they kinda suck at they're jobs thus, the ball was again, dropped

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
I played through the endings, and while they're better than the originals they still failed to address the most pressing issue: the Star Child.

Ultimately, BioWare showed us how to treat cancer with a Band-Aid.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
CaptOfSerenity said:
boag said:
If they had not been complete and utter dicks to the fans by calling the people disatisfied with the original ending, and I quote "Whiny, homophobic entitled brats", then Yes i would have been satisfied with the EC.

As it stands, I cant wait for Bioware to burn down and join the likes of Bullfrog and Westwood in the graveyard of companies EA has raped to death.
First, Bioware never called fans that.

2nd, did they fuckin kill your family member? The fuck is wrong with you, calm down. Bioware is more than a corporate entity; it's a collection of people. And those people, to put it in a cliche, have feelings.

Don't be an asshole
1.- If you followed the Shitstorm and if you read my previous comments, then you would know what im talking about, go look up my post as I went into details to post links.

2.- Precisely because its a corporate entity I can wish it to go fuck itself without any god damn remorse.

Dont be a Biodrone

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
They shoulda let it die. They could have pleased more people by leaving it as it was. All those fans that believed in the indoctrination theory to the core could have believed that until the next Mass Effect game came out.

To respond to your post OP, it wasn't supposed to fix anything really.

It was just supposed to elaborate on the existing endings. (Basically sidestepping most of the point.)

Wuz really bad ending to series comrad, but EC wasn't gonna fix anything anyways. We knew that much.

That's how it be' yo.

fuzzlefluff

Jun 18, 2012
Im Just pissed off because the ending do not fit into the game at all, the war assets do not matter at all, you just need to play all the priority missions and you get to make a choice to use space magic, turn the reapers blue, or blow up all the robots (or loose the war in this new patch)

everything in the trilogy (and worst so the third game itself) is forgotten and this starchild kid makes you choose three endings that all play out the same

Honestly I would have been more satisfied if the refusal ending was the only ending, that would be more artistic than the bullshit synthesis ending that makes everyone glow green
These endings go rather unexplained except "space magic we don't understand yet" in a universe that explains everything with an acceptable logic

and to those that say "well its BIOWARE'S story", I say, first off, their story sucks and I am gladly saying so, secondly I find that the first two games (especially the second)managed to have enough change based off my input to feel like it was my story

and I know that EC wasn't going to change anything, but I was hoping for a boss battle with more difficulty than a few enemies in slow motion

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
Here is what it is...

the Extended Cut was meant to EXPLAIN the endings more clearly not "fix" the story. Now what went wrong in ME3? Well that's rather simple, they wrote themselves into a corner and they needed a way out of that corner and what you see is what they got... It is still an amazing feat that over 2 previous games of individual decisions you get to see how many of the decisions play out in ME3 but what this does do is create too many potential outcomes and there is no real way they could of played them all out with the ending. Is it a good ending? Not at all, it has too many holes... but all things considered it is the best ending for the corner they wrote themselves in. I found the whole Catalyst idea to be incredibly convenient and odd because it did not fit into the universe but it was their magic ticket out of that corner so that's why it's there.

As for Shepard dying... well I went through all the stages of grief when i first finished the game but now when I think back on it, I think it would be a bit corny if Shepard some how lived through it all... granted not impossible but maybe just a bit too super hero like and having a character that is actually real goes a long way, especially in a video game.