Poll: MLP Has Jumped the Shark

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
*Facepalm* Okay, bronies. I've kinda been between supportive of your enthusiasm to indifferent to it.. but now you're just getting stupid. You're talking about a show about multicolored, talking horses getting "too rediculous." This isn't The Wire, you're taking this stuff WAY too seriously.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Sylveria said:
*Facepalm* Okay, bronies. I've kinda been between supportive of your enthusiasm to indifferent to it.. but now you're just getting stupid. You're talking about a show about multicolored, talking horses getting "too rediculous." This isn't The Wire, you're taking this stuff WAY too seriously.
I second this post and promptly take a bullet for its poster.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
No, it hasn't. In fact, the show has only been improving since it was made. Each season has been improving the quality of animation, stories, and characters, and I feel as though saying otherwise comes from either simple ignorance or self-centered entitlement.

Madkipz

Apr 25, 2009
Each episode is very contained and in a lot of episodes it is true that certain character attributes become stretched so as to cause PLOT and LESSON to happen in the first place, but we already knew that from the very first episodes.

What you think Dragonshy was awesome? It`s the most hamfisted and contrived bullshit episode of the entire season with Fluttershy endangering everyones lives just because of her fear of dragons and avalanches.

We all knew MLP was subject to the faults of being an episodic show intent on producing self contained 20 minute experiences aside from the double episodes that produces such notable villains such as NMM CHRYSALIS and DISCORD, and even these episodes have major flaws because they are reduced to 40 minute episodes rather than 1hour 40 min movies or whatnot. See? It`s not perfect, the writers are doing what they can with the constraints put on them from HASBRO, and in the end you are stupid for taking more than the intent of the show at heart.

Here we have an amazing crew hard at work with producing a show for little kids about Loyalty to your friends, how kindness to others works, how generosity plays in day to day life, What it means to loose a friend, how to accept that your ego might be overblown, or how the most unlikely of friends can suddenly be an asset or whatnot IN 20 FREAKING MINUTES. IT is just not possible on a consistent basis. So buy their swag, embrace the friendship that runs cross fandom ,and appreciate the new friends you now have gained as the result of this show even existing instead of plodding over each episode in an overly critical manner.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
I don't think S3 has reached the lows of S1 or S2, but I don't think it has reached the heights of those seasons either.
The real problem is with the fanbase.
And really, jumped the shark? It's a 20 minute show about multicolored ponies preaching the magic of friendship, what exactly were you expecting from it?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I think someone is over reacting abit, just a tad (who said baby ponies are all born ordinary? Beside some cartoons are suppose to be wacky like that).

Sure season 2 and 3 weren't as great as season 1 but when has there been a series were season 2 and onward was greatly better than the first original season (longer series like The Simspon don't count as they have alot of time to improve themselves)? Despite of that, I can always find one or a few episode among them to be a real gem of an episode (Sisterhoover Social, Sweet and Elite, Sleepless in Ponyville and The Wonderbolt Academy).

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
Sylveria said:
Quite a few bronies like over-analysing the show just like other fandoms do, and who's to blame them if it's fun? It's just like having any other online discussion in your spare time, just about ponies.

While a lot of people do take the show seriously, not nearly as many people actually get legit angry over the show.

Edit: On topic, I do think the overall quality has dipped slightly but I'll wait till' season 4 to pass judgement. I think Sleepless in Ponyville was one of the best episodes ever, though.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
While I do miss the big adventure episodes from the first season the show has in no way jumped the shark. I think it has only gotten better with each passing season and I really don't expect continuity from a show meant for 5 year old girls. Besides anything is better than that awful documentary that came out.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, the quality of the writing dropped after season 1 (even though it was only good for half the episodes), so I lost interest in it pretty quickly.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Maybe it's just me but i have the feeling many people are just kinda actively looking for an excuse to say "Oh man, the show has jumped the shark!" Not because they don't like the show but because they've become so paranoid about it that they start to see reasons to dislike it all over the place. I, for my part am not really seeing it. In my opinion the show hasn't really gotten any worse. I mean, i kinda agree that some of the newer writers show their lack of familiarity with the shows style wich makes some of the episodes a bit inconsistent but it's not really jarring. I still like the show as much as i did two years ago. The novelty has worn of but i enjoy it nontheless.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

Religious propaganda should be kept out of this kind type of entertainment!

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Well, as season two ran it's course it became more and more clear that the show I loved was dying. Characters that had always been so well defined became inconsistent. In fact, Twilight Sparkle was horribly flanderized in the very first episode not directed by Faust, Lesson Zero. She goes so absolutely batshit insane over the fact that she missed one little deadline (that I might add was never specified in her original assignment) that she actually puts the town in danger and Celestia has to step in to clean things up!
It's a comedy show, it's pretty much about ponies doing exaggerated things for comedic effect. Pinkie Pie has been "flanderised" in her insanity episode, and while Fluttershy had been first introduced as meek, pretty much every episode with her personality as a plot point was about revealing some hidden strength or anger.

Drathnoxis said:
Now, if this had been an isolated incident I would have just chalked it up as the one bad episode that every show has, but it set a precedent of sloppy writing and asinine plots that snowballed as the season went on. Baby Cakes: two babbys that -- straight from the womb -- could give Twilight and Rainbow Dash a run for their money in magic and flying respectively.
It's a comedy, not a shonen anime. It's not about serious consistent power levels and realistic physics.

Babies being ridiculously powerful, is funny. Characters surviving an anvil dropped to the head, is funny. Characters referencing human concepts and then pointing out that they don't make sense in the context, is funny.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Personally, I actually like all the new episodes with the exception of the Crystal Empire.

You see, I'm still watching the show under the guise of it being a lighthearted carefree cartoon about technicolor ponies (which it still is) rather than looking deeply into symbolism and character development. Basically, I'm still treating the show like My Little Pony, wheras some of you guys seem to be treating it like Fight Club.

Now, I watch the show because I still find joy in it. If you don't find joy in watching the show, I would suggest that you stop watching it. If you want to start watching it again, go right ahead. I don't care, and really, neither should anyone else.

I mean honestly, your thinking of not watching a girls' show about ponies. So what? Go right ahead. No one's is going to fight for you to remain attached to this show. DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT, is what I'm trying to say.

One last thing...

Ekit said:
MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

lolwut

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Tough to say. It always sucks when the original creative people behind something leave it to others. The new folks may to great but if you really liked the show for what it was at its inception then you might not want to stick with it and its "new direction".

I came into it in November right before the start of Season 3 and I have to say while I agree the show could be facing dark times ahead, I just can't get angry over it. Its a kids show and a cartoon, I don't judge any cartoons like I would judge lore or story from things like Breaking Bad or Mass Effect. I feel that if you start to do that you are just setting yourself up for disappointment. It is still fun to discuss it though, and I've had many laughs while doing it, so in my eyes that makes it worth it for me.

Sleepless in Ponyville was a masterpiece, there is just no getting around it and Keep Calm and Flutter On was also well done.

Also, before I go. Think about something, yes Hasbro and the writers will probably move away from whatever direction Lauren Faust might have had, but for them to deliberately want to kill the Brony fandom, that just seems inconceivable. The whole negative stereotype of 40 yr old dudes in the pink idle of Toys R' Us.. I get that, and I get how people think that is strange but does anyone really think Hasbro would deliberately throw a wrench into something that is making them a substantial amount of money over a possible negative stereotype attached to the franchise? The fandom has been around for 2 years now, if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't happen. Besides, there have been studies done stating that majority of bronies are males in their late teens and early twenties. *shrug*

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Maybe it's just me but i have the feeling many people are just kinda actively looking for an excuse to say "Oh man, the show has jumped the shark!" Not because they don't like the show but because they've become so paranoid about it that they start to see reasons to dislike it all over the place. I, for my part am not really seeing it. In my opinion the show hasn't really gotten any worse. I mean, i kinda agree that some of the newer writers show their lack of familiarity with the shows style wich makes some of the episodes a bit inconsistent but it's not really jarring. I still like the show as much as i did two years ago. The novelty has worn of but i enjoy it nontheless.
Thank you for neatly summarising what I was going to write.
OT: Are you crazy OP? Or just really picky? I've rarely encountered an episode I didn't like, and most of the ones that fall into that category can be traced back to a writer whose style really does not fit the show.
But yeah, season 3 has pretty good episodes. Some lackluster, as well, sure, but that happens in a lot of shows. It's hard to keep topping oneself, and I think they're doing amazing work considering the 22 minute time limit.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Dangit2019 said:
Ekit said:

lolwut
The episode Feeling Pinkie Keen is religious and anti-science propaganda. The moral of the story is that you should believe the supernatural explanations to things that you can't explain, that rationality and deductive reasoning always should be put second to blind belief and that trying to find out objective facts about reality on your own is a pointless endeavour.

That is a horrible moral and something that in my opinion doesn't belong in a program aimed at children.

For those who haven't seen the episode. The episode is about Pinkie Pie's supernatural ability to predict the future. Twilight Sparkle tries the entire episode to find a rational explanation to why Pinkie Pie can defy the rules of reality and keeps telling herself that Pinkie Pie's predictions are just coincidences.

In the end though she gives up trying to find a logical explanation to Pinkie Pie's ability and just accepts the fact that Pinkie Pie can predict the future and that there is no explanation.

The episode ends with this quote:
Twilight Sparkle said:
Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Ekit said:
Dangit2019 said:
Ekit said:

lolwut
The episode Feeling Pinkie Keen is religious and anti-science propaganda. The moral of the story is that you should believe the supernatural explanations to things that you can't explain, that rationality and deductive reasoning always should be put second to blind belief and that trying to find out objective facts about reality on your own is a pointless endeavour.

That is a horrible moral and something that in my opinion doesn't belong in a program aimed at children.
No, the moral of the story is that Pinkie Pie can predict things with her fucking tail because she's fucking Pinkie Pie and that's how she rolls, yo.

Or, it's all a bunch of religious propaganda. Take your pick, I guess.