Poll: MLP Has Jumped the Shark

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos

Dec 7, 2012

Why do some people want to make such a ginormous deal out of everything? It's almost as if the world is about to explode because of MLP. Them bronies are crazy folk.

Personally, while I do feel that the show is has gone a bit downhill, I still find it entertaining enough to keep watching it.

Hell, all this pandering and 'jumping the shark' happen solely because of bronies. Now that's funny.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Ekit said:
Dangit2019 said:
Ekit said:
MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

Religious propaganda should be kept out of this kind type of entertainment!
lolwut
The episode Feeling Pinkie Keen is religious and anti-science propaganda. The moral of the story is that you should believe the supernatural explanations to things that you can't explain, that rationality and deductive reasoning always should be put second to blind belief and that trying to find out objective facts about reality on your own is a pointless endeavour.

That is a horrible moral and something that in my opinion doesn't belong in a program aimed at children.

For those who haven't seen the episode. The episode is about Pinkie Pie's supernatural ability to predict the future. Twilight Sparkle tries the entire episode to find a rational explanation to why Pinkie Pie can defy the rules of reality and keeps telling herself that Pinkie Pie's predictions are just coincidences.

In the end though she gives up trying to find a logical explanation to Pinkie Pie's ability and just accepts the fact that Pinkie Pie can predict the future and that there is no explanation.

The episode ends with this quote:
Twilight Sparkle said:
Dear Princess Celestia,

I am happy to report that I now realize there are wonderful things in this world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true. It just means you have to choose to believe in them.
I thought it was more of an outlook on Communism with a twinge of Jewish money grubbing.

In all seriousness, if you want to take the episode in that light(such a negative one I'd say) then fine, but I feel like that's a bit over board calling it religious propaganda. Some things you really just can't explain, they just happen, that's just as true in Ponyville as it is for our world too. And while Twilight did say believe, it was simple to infer that Pinkie Pie was capable to tell the future, so while she might not be able to understand the why and how of it, Twilight still isn't just accepting it as blindly believing it, but as an observation of a phenomenon.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Ekit said:
MLP jumped the shark with the episode Feeling Pinkie Keen. That was one of the most infuriating and insulting things I have ever seen in childrens programming.

Religious propaganda should be kept out of this kind type of entertainment!
While I can see where you're coming from with that observation, I wouldn't necessarily say it's to that degree you mention. They're not trying to convert anyone, just saying that religion is a thing, and whichever way you go on it is ok. Even if you disagree with religion in every sense of the word and what it represents, it really didn't shove it down your throat like you're implying.

Now if you want real examples of religious propaganda, I suggest you go watch a few episodes of Veggie Tales.

Edit: yes I reworded and rephrased a few things from the original post, just in case you quote me to reply. I just woke up, trying to word things a bit better than in the original post.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Hmm, I'm not sure where to begin with writing out my thoughts in regards to the question. Usually I would give an answer and then explain my thoughts but that would involve having a clear answer in mind. For instance, the big question being whether My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is as good as it was originally, doesn't have the clearest of answers. I think it's not so much a yes or no answer and more of a change in what the series is like with each season.

For instance, not commenting much on season 3 as it has yet to end, if you were to ask me which of the two completed seasons had the best episodes I would say season 2.

If you were to ask me which of the completed seasons had the worst episodes, I would say season 2.

If you were to ask me which of the completed seasons had the most consistent levels of quality, I would say season 1.

That is how I consider season 1 and 2 to be different. In season 1, nearly all the episodes were of above decent quality, with only one or two episodes not being as good. In season 2, when the episodes were bad, they were really bad, however it balances itself out by when the episodes were good in season 2, they were absolutely fantastic. So in my mind it's more a matter of what you want from the series, a series with consistent level of decent quality or a series with mostly amazing episodes but unfortunately a couple of dreadful ones. I personally think, despite how painful some of the few bad season 2 episodes were for me, that I prefer season 2 over season 1, because the good episodes retain in my memory more, and allow the show to stand out more in my mind.

In regards to season 3, as it has yet to finish I think it's still too early to conclude an opinion on it, but I can say what I think of it so far. I've found season 3 to be rather balanced in quality, like season 1, however that level of quality hasn't been quite as high. It's not bad, but it isn't as great as season 1's balance was. Also I've been at odds with some of their decisions, decisions which have sometimes left negative impacts on otherwise great episodes. In the case of Magic Duel, I found the ending forgiveness of Trixie to be rushed and disappointing, to an otherwise great episode. In the case of Wonderbolt Academy, I found the ending where Spitfire suddenly comes out and says Rainbow was right to interfere with a much more interesting and intriguing future for Rainbow Dash as a character. There's also the Discord episode, which was the first to just mar most of the good the episode itself had going for it. I find the episodes have been well written and funny, but a few of the decisions at the ends of these episodes have been dampening my overall enjoyment.

I'm going to remain positive though. The humour is funny, the characters are well developed, and the world still intrigues me. I don't believe by any account that the overall quality of the series has dropped to the point where it would be worth abandoning it, there has simply been a few bumps natural for most series to have in their lifetime. I do not expect perfection in this series, I expect there will be some episodes that I dislike and some decision in the overall story and character development that I will dislike, but the amount of things I like about this series easily out ways the bad and I'll be sticking with it. So I guess to conclude in regards to the original question; no, this series has not become worse, it has only been suffering from a couple of lapses in quality that is to be expected from any series and has otherwise remained either great or even better than it originally was.

Also I'm way too invested in my fanfiction writing for this series to just drop it.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
I thought it was more of an outlook on Communism with a twinge of Jewish money grubbing.
No no no, your thinking of the Super Cider Squeezy 9000 episode. That was definitely advocating communism.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos said:
Hell, all this pandering and 'jumping the shark' happen solely because of bronies. Now that's funny.
I think Yahtzee was asked a question about what a fanbase can do to provide helpful criticism towards their content creators. His answer: "Don't."

And this is what happens when people don't follow that advice.

Filiecs

May 24, 2011
I'm not condemning the discussion of the show. Feel free, I encourage you to let your freak flag fly and fly it high.

I'm more baffled by the concept of "Shark jumping" in a series which is already completely fantastical. Heck I can easily see Rainbow Dash jet-ski jumping over a shark being completely within the realm of possibilities of the show.

If the quality of the writing has declined, that's not shark-jumping. "Jumping the Shark" has a context to it, it is not the catch-all term for lowered show quality. If they spice up the show up by having aliens invade.. then it's jumping the shark.
I see your point.
Also, Rainbow Dash Ski-Jumping over a shark would be goddamn amazing.
This needs to be drawn now...

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Filiecs said:
I see your point.
Also, Rainbow Dash Ski-Jumping over a shark would be goddamn amazing.
This needs to be drawn now...
If it has to do with ponies, someone on DeviantArt has drawn it.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im not sure were your coming from, the characters all have their flaws and thats why I love them so much. In season 1 Twilight was damn near perfect in everyway from ep 2 onwards, same with Fluttershy. The show is still aimed at little girls and showing that its alright to mess up as long as you fix what you broke is all fine by me. Hell the only character I think they re-hashed a lesson with fully was AJ (Applebuck season = Apple Family Reunion) and I still enjoyed those eps.

'Lesson Zero' showed Twilight actually had flaws, which was good, not to mention hilarious and the same goes for 'Putting your hoof down' in respect to Fluttershy who has kept some of that aggression (something you don't see in alot of kids shows, especially ones aimed at girls).

'Baby Cakes' was just an excuse for abit of fun, I doubt they'd still be that strong after they reached fillyhood.

'A Friend in Deed' was just Pinkie being Pinkie, it just demonstrated not everyone can handle that sort of friendship, afterall Cranky still told her to get lost at the end of the ep even though he liked her now.

'MMMystery on the Friendship Express' was always intended to be a spoof but I will admit the characters acted a bit dickish, even if it was still funny.

I enjoyed 'A Canterlot Wedding' so im just gonna say thats a taste thing, even if it was a tad cheesy.

I do sort of agree with the whole Discord thing, but he was a fan favourite so they wanted to make him a reaccuring character and if it means watching De Lancie go about his buisness im all for it.

Im not attacking your taste dude/dudette, if you no longer like the show fair play but I deffinatly don't think its gotten worse, maybe less solid overall but coincidering how creative it still manages to be after 3 seasons, im loving it.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I have my own theory. I can't help but feel as if the "problem" might be because the creators are listening to their fans a little too much.

These are some of the common things I've been hearing from fans of the show:
-Bring Trixie back
-Applejack really needs her own song already
-the episodes where the ponies are battling evil forces are AMAZING!
-Discord was the best villain EVAR!

All of these, from what I understand, have been incorporated this season in some way, yet people are complaining it's not a good season. See what I mean?

If MLP did indeed jump the shark, it's probably because the creators lost sight of what the show was originally about when they decided to pander to so many people at once.

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
klaynexas3 said:
No no no, your thinking of the Super Cider Squeezy 9000 episode. That was definitely advocating communism.

ThisGuyLikesNoTacos said:
I think Yahtzee was asked a question about what a fanbase can do to provide helpful criticism towards their content creators. His answer: "Don't."

And this is what happens when people don't follow that advice.
I don't pretend to know anything about My Little Pony, in fact I clicked this thread to see what MLP stood for and ended up browsing through peoples responses. However I have to say Yahtzee's advice is terrible. If creators do not have a finger on the pulse of their viewership then they run a very high risk of losing their fans and finding themselves looking for another job. It is necessary to know what the fans like and don't like about your content and then use that information wisely while maintaining your artistic and professional integrity. It is the poor use of this feedback that leads to the heavy handed uneven pandering that some are complaining of in this thread.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I'll be brutally honest and say that I've enjoyed season two and three more than I did season one. The writing is inconsistent at times, though I feel that people who get upset about that are taking the show much too seriously, but I feel as if the show has started doing things I personally prefer. And I believe that fans are expecting a little too much. MLP is a great cartoon, no doubt about it, but the occasional plot hole is to be expected with the show's slice of life style presentation.

Different authors write different things and each has their own interpretation of the characters. Little blips are to be expected, and people should stop taking it so seriously.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Season one was a masterpiece and was virtually flawless, season two was great but many obvious flaws had arisen and the show took a big turn changing from a "slice of life" character driven narrative to a action focused narrative driven show.

Season 3...is a fucking train wreck. With the exceptions of two episodes, it has been absolutely terrible in every department besides animation (which is nearly impossible to screw up anyways). The characters are no longer relatable and are very badly written (overreacting EVERYTHING), the stories have potential but are always messed up and it feels like they're forcing the characters through situations in the wrong way, and the pandering to fans is shameless.

I'll miss the show I once loved and cherished, but at least I'll still have approx. two seasons of greatness to remember. Its was certainly very enjoyable while it lasted. *doffs hat*

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I like what they've been doing for the most part. The show grows, advances if you will.
I've only disliked the season opener for S3, every episode after that has been pretty awesome.
The other seasons I've had more episodes I didn't like in them. But 26 to 13, averages and luck maybe.

Discord becoming good. Why not, he's the embodiment of Chaos, he can be good. And just as easily he can fall back to his old ways.
I still have times where I see that something was grating on things, but they're not support breakers. Every show bumps into pot holes on the road as every other show does.

So do I think the show has jumped the shark. No.
Do you want a show that stays the same for 5 seasons straight. The characters only developing along the path set out for them, or branching into different areas?
Not to mention this show is special. Cause of the Bronies. They like to make the show appeal more to us too. You still get the lessons. But you get some action.
So I like what they're doing with it. They're growing it like a tree and not like building a track. And it will get even better I hope.

Just remember the big one. Love and tolerate.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Oh look. More doomsaying. Yay.

I've liked MLP as much as I ever have with Season 3. Not sure what everyone's deal is.

It's just a cartoon.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I still find it enjoyable I think people forget that the first 2 seasons had their share of bad episodes and this season has had about the same amount. I think it's that people hold the show in such a high regard because of its amazing episodes they sweep the bad ones under the rug. I guarantee that at this time next year people will be complaining about season 4 and will asking why it isn't as good as the first 3 seasons when in reality there is no change just nostalgia blindness.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Watched I think maybe watched the first season(totally watched a couple of episodes) back when I was doing drugs... Reflecting upon from what I remember I was glad it was something my little cousin was watching, as it was way above par form the crap Disney is crapping out. I'm not a fan, but every now and then I'll watch half and episode with my little cousin, if only she didn't like the Justin beaver!!!

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Season 3 has had some less than stellar episodes, but when they've been getting it right--
they've been hitting them right out of the park.
At least one of the amazing episodes did feel like it had a rushed ending.
Does anyone else get the impression that Celestia is gearing up for war?