Poll: Mother punishes adopted child by forcing him to drink hot sauce

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
On second thought, I'm staying out of this debate. The casual tone in which some people talk about punishment is making me rather concerned, and I don't need the headache.
These are my thoughts exactly whenever the topic of corporal punishment comes up. It strikes me as some variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
It's shock TV and probably set up. It is meant for everyone to go "Oh you poor thing !!! Bad mother!" Personally I would like to know what he did. Maybe he deserved it.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
People are really skewed either way on this topic, and, as a parent I suppose I can understand why. It is honestly the hardest thing to do, that is, punishing your child. Do they cry? Often, even if you just raise your voice to them. I didn't find the hotsauce to be out of the line, if the mother has honestly tried every other tactic under the sun and it didn't work.

As most parents, and most parenting books, and most psychologists will say, not every child is the same, and therefore your tactics at discipline must adjust accordingly. While Dr Phil's wife makes an excellent point in her video about the mother promising such and such, so too does it need to be realized that a we, as a society, start hitting a pretty slippery slope when we try to define the 'do's and don't's' of discipline. When does a spanking reach abuse? When it leaves bruises, when it's done in anger. Clear cut. What if your child does not respond to spanking? What if your child does not respond to time outs, to bribes, to a rewards system?

I think there is more to this story that anyone can really judge, without knowing the child and his behavior, and the mother and what she has gone through.

So at this point, I suppose I must join the fence. I will say that my children wouldn't be able to handle hot sauce. I can't stand the stuff myself!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I have split feelings. I kind of feel like this is a case of her heart in the right place but her head can't quite keep up. I think it's great she's trying to teach the kid to be a good person and not lie, but obviously she's going way overboard on punishment.

But I'm also all for spanking if a child deserves it.

However, based on the video, I think the kid didn't need to be punished for lying, he needed to be talked to about what he did, and why. I mean he lied because he's afraid of her. That's not good!!

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
And I'm supposedly a danger to children?

Fucking hell... Dr. Phil's wife was right to say that it is the "Mother" who is the liar, not the child.

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
Brad Shepard said:
Glad im not the only one, but really, people that spank there kids and leave brushes, oh, there fit parents, but make the kid taste a little hot sause, and they need to be drug to the pits of hell and beaten with a car battery? I see not how this makes sense.
Just so you know, we are essentially the bad guys here. The evil ones. The joker to the batmen.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Wow. I call abuse. You should punish a child but not to that severe a degree. ***** deserves to go to jail.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
No wonder he lied, the punishments are irrationally cruel and borerline torture, this is abhorrent and she should have a restraining order imposed on her in regards to ever being allowed to care for children unsupervised again, as well as potential for jail time for forced self harm and psychological abuse.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Fawcks said:
Brad Shepard said:
Glad im not the only one, but really, people that spank there kids and leave brushes, oh, there fit parents, but make the kid taste a little hot sause, and they need to be drug to the pits of hell and beaten with a car battery? I see not how this makes sense.
Just so you know, we are essentially the bad guys here. The evil ones. The joker to the batmen.
Would not be the first time, might as well join someone else with a Digimon avatar anyway, let alone someone with the same view on this XD.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
See, I'm not against corporal punishment that's administered carefully, and doesn't stand to harm the child outside of a sore bottom, for example. I realize that this will make most of the bleeding hearts here think I'm a monster, but there you go. This, on the other hand, seems excessive. Creative, sure, but excessive. Of course, I don't know what the kid actually did, so for all we know it was perfectly proportionate to the offense, but I'm going to assume that it wasn't, and it could have actually left longer term physical damage, then no, not good.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
baker80 said:
The worst part isn't the tobasco sauce, that stuff is really fairly mild as spicy sauces go. It doesn't even really hurt.
I'm pretty sure at seven he doesnt exactly know how spicy something is and maybe he has a sensitive tongue. Besides, she is putting a rather liberal amount in.

OT: Yeah... You know, this is kinda obsessive, and she doesnt seem very fit to raise a child if this is how she punishes them. Then again, she has a daughter, and I didnt see anything else on the woman, so so far as I know she only has a daughter. And hey, she could be a really nice when she's not doing... well.. this.

I mean, the kid's seven, so instead of smacking him, she makes him take a cold shower, hold hot sauce in his mouth, and yells at him, psychologically breaking this kid down. So yeah... I would say that maybe not send this kid back to his home country (not sure where it is, but after growing up in America, it could be something of a culture shock and for fact that he's learning in a standard (vs. metric) system. As well as he's learned English.

So maybe give him to a new home, because this woman really needs some counciling. I dont know what kinda system they run where they use cards, but if she's over reacting because at SEVEN he has three cards for a bit of fighting, then thats just not a safe home. IMO.

Mar 9, 2010
Hasn't this ***** ever heard of the naughty step?

What the child did needed to be punished but not hot sauce and cold shower punishment. I was on the fence whether it was to be abuse or not but she just didn't stop at punishing the laddy. She went as far as making him hold hot sauce in his mouth and then forcing him to have a cold shower. That's abuse more than punishment and little lads who get in trouble at school deserve punishment, not abuse.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Kids when they are young usually (not always) do something wrong, but its all part of the growing experience (to learn what is and what isnt acceptable behaviour). Sometimes when this goes too far certain punishments are a little bit justifide. Then there's this behaviour......this isn't punishment, this is torture. I seriously do hope that when this kid changes homes that he ends up in a home that loves him and cares for him, rather than this piece of shit mom who clearly is guilty of abuse. If it turns out she is found not guilty or simply has a decreased charge or sentence, I seriously then will have no faith in the justice system (in Alaska anyways)

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
Brad Shepard said:
Fawcks said:
Brad Shepard said:
Would not be the first time, might as well join someone else with a Digimon avatar anyway, let alone someone with the same view on this XD.
Does yours play TF2? What's his class?

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
This was really extreme, when little guy started crying under that cold shower I had to mute, can't stand that sound, it breaks my heart. I don't know exactly what he did, but abusing him like that is just....sick. He should have been reasoned with or punished, not tortured. For Christ sakes, she's running a household, not a POW camp.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
jesus christ he is only 7. I could barely handle a Chicken Tika at 7, Tabasco at would have been agony.