Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Necromancist said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
how about 'autotuned monstrosity'
Think twice before you wish someone wasn't Auto-tuned...
not really the point, if they can't sing they should not be in the studio trying to be 'famous singers'.
Meh. Sid Vicious was a famous bass player and he couldn't play a note. I think anyone should have a crack at it if they want to, why the hell not. If people don't like it, they won't buy it.
See, there's a difference. Sid Vicious didn't need any artificial help or editing to sound passable, even though he couldn't play a note, as you said. He just picked up a bass and did good. If someone needs to have their voice filtered in order to sound passable they shouldn't try singing.
Hahaha, Sid never picked up a bass and did good.

TheSanityAssassin

Jul 24, 2008
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
not really the point, if they can't sing they should not be in the studio trying to be 'famous singers'.
Meh. Sid Vicious was a famous bass player and he couldn't play a note. I think anyone should have a crack at it if they want to, why the hell not. If people don't like it, they won't buy it.
yeah but then he's not really playing is he?
so actually the editer/producer is more of a famous bass player.

it's like trying to be a famous painter but you can't paint so you take a picture of your painting and give it to someone so he can fotoshop it for you.

i especially hate the kind of autotune somebody posted earlier, because that's just really annoying.

look i've worked in a studio and seen all this autotune nonsense in action.
I work in a studio too and we use Auto-tune all the time. Believe it or not, we've never used it once to hide a bum note - because every time you use Auto-tune people immediately suspect bum notes. We got Auto-tune in our studio because clients kept requesting it, because they like that sound. Auto-tune these days is generally used as a sonic effect, not a note-fixer. It's a popular sound right now, simple as that, just like gated drums in the 1980s and echoey vocals in the 1950s. There are far more subtle, far more effective ways to fix bum notes, that aren't as audible in the final product. If I wanted to fix a bad singer's pitching, the last thing I would use is Autotune.
exactly, and it's a really really really annoying trend.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
BonsaiK said:
TheSanityAssassin said:
yeah but then he's not really playing is he?
so actually the editer/producer is more of a famous bass player.

it's like trying to be a famous painter but you can't paint so you take a picture of your painting and give it to someone so he can fotoshop it for you.

i especially hate the kind of autotune somebody posted earlier, because that's just really annoying.

look i've worked in a studio and seen all this autotune nonsense in action.
I work in a studio too and we use Auto-tune all the time. Believe it or not, we've never used it once to hide a bum note - because every time you use Auto-tune people immediately suspect bum notes. We got Auto-tune in our studio because clients kept requesting it, because they like that sound. Auto-tune these days is generally used as a sonic effect, not a note-fixer. It's a popular sound right now, simple as that, just like gated drums in the 1980s and echoey vocals in the 1950s. There are far more subtle, far more effective ways to fix bum notes, that aren't as audible in the final product. If I wanted to fix a bad singer's pitching, the last thing I would use is Autotune.
exactly, and it's a really really really annoying trend.
Oh well. I guess you'll just have to be annoyed for a while, until people move onto some other kind of vocal effect. Personally I find the synthetic chorus on a lot of early 1980s pop to be more annoying, but hey whatevs.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Red Right Hand said:
Where is the none option? It's an incredibly arrogant statement to say that a musical genre shouldn't have the opportunity to be listened to. I dislike 90% of today's music but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist.

You do realise that if you posed that question to people who enjoy the majority of todays music then they would probably say metal and rock, right? I think you should stop acting so high and mighty and realise that people like different things to you.

Also, listen to this, might change your biased views on Techno.

This is not techno, it is trip hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gdbHpd6vt4

Here is some more good music. I have seen and heard too much bad for one day.

Red Right Hand

Squatter
Feb 23, 2009
strum4h said:
Red Right Hand said:
Where is the none option? It's an incredibly arrogant statement to say that a musical genre shouldn't have the opportunity to be listened to. I dislike 90% of today's music but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't exist.

You do realise that if you posed that question to people who enjoy the majority of todays music then they would probably say metal and rock, right? I think you should stop acting so high and mighty and realise that people like different things to you.

The OP just mentioned Techno in the poll so I assumed that he would lump trip-hop and electronica under the name Techno. Bad of me, I know. Also, I really don't care about the whole arguments about what genre's are what in Electronic music. I just like the music.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Red Right Hand said:
strum4h said:
Red Right Hand said:

The OP just mentioned Techno in the poll so I assumed that he would lump trip-hop and electronica under the name Techno. Bad of me, I know. Also, I really don't care about the whole arguments about what genre's are what in Electronic music. I just like the music.
I definitely agree about that. There are too many people at my school that listen to it to be a part of the "scene" or to try and look more "gangsta" for them it is about image for me it is about the music. Trip hop is some of my favorite stuff.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
'That kind of metal where the whole band sounds like they're being tortured by chainsaws.'

I lol'd!

But I voted for the option above it

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
Wistfane said:
90% of people in this thread have no formal musical education rendering their opinions baseless and invalid.
I was going to post, but then I saw this. Suddenly, my mind was washed of any reasons I could think of that couldn't easily be shot down/applied to any of those choices from the right point of view.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
Hardcore metal.
I just don't understand its appeal.
You see my favourite type of music is hardcore/grindcore.

I just cant get enough of it.

I think its a matter of taste and opinion. :)

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
just ban me said:
rap and hip hop need to go since they aren't really music in the end but just some dude ripping off good music as samples then talking over it half the time, what talent
Didn't take long for some white boy to come in and flash his ignorance like a badge of honor.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
As much as I don't like most of that, I see no reason why most of it should die. Except for the tween pop. Partially because it's selling sex to kids, partially because it's occasionally used to sell messages to kids, and also because it's advertised everywhere. How many Bieber fans are watching tv at 11:45?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
strum4h said:
Red Right Hand said:

No, it's garbage.

Actually, let's just call it "tailor-made for Adult Swim bumpers."

Assassinscreed548

Jan 16, 2010
I honestly think that music is a fantastic artistic way for humans to express themselves, music should never be something bad... however we are now engulfed in soulless, heartless, and pointless music, it is all around us, it is consuming us and not fullfilling us. people are growing up thinking Justin Bieber is awesome, or Fiddy Cent is awesome cuz he got the cars and shit, and i think that kind of music is simply put (not wrong) but incredibly pointless...also it pollutes your ears. techno might be soulless but at least it doesnt carry any bad themes, or pointless lyrics such as: you see me on my car with huge rims and Im better than you''. still however Most modern day music is something I dont understand, In fact I dont feel it. If you ask me people should listen to things from the 60s, The Doors and all that good stuff. thank you :)

Captain Ka-Boom

Apr 15, 2010
EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM HAS TO DIE NOW, BUT MDOERN POP MUSIC TAKES THE GOD DAMNED PRICE. IN THE 60'S AND THE 70'S, POP MUSIC COULD BE SOMETHING MYSTERIOUS, ARTISTIC, INTELLECTUAL AND COMPLEX, BUT MODERN MUSIC IS MADE BY WHORES AND GREEDY CORPORATE FAT-CATS!

Please excuse my abuse of the caps lock, but it is caps day today, so I figured that I'd be OK.