Poll: muslim scare:us and europe.do you beleive it's happening?

barash

Mar 29, 2010
There are Glen Beck's and Bill O'Reilly's in every country, of every faith and leaning to all extremes of the mental and political spectrum. Nothing new, but as long as they're given a platform to vomit their poisonous rhetoric all over the gullibles (not a word? ø_ô) of their respective countries we'll continue to have more idiots walking around than we really should have.

At least they contribute a great deal to keep Mr.Stewart and Mr.Colbert, and their support staffs employed :)

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
ninja51 said:
Some better grammer would be nice, but yes, any time we are at war with someone or somthing, naturaly people are led to believe in sorts that the enemy is a vile thing to the core. Japanese, Germans, British, Africans, Pacific Islanders, whenever people are at war (or making war) with somthing, the populous starts to take that racist ignorant stance, usually led on by the government or parts of the media.

Unfortunatly its led to a big resurgence in white supremacists in America. The Tea Party is a thing... Ugh... Breaks my heart everytime I think about that.
You may want to check your own before you call him out on his.

On topic, I don't personally feel scared by people just because of their faith or affiliations. It's already been said many times, but it's an inevitable fact of war, that you try to make your enemy as inhuman as possible, and to an extent, exaggerate the threat that they pose.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
redeemer09 said:
simple qestion.found out europe is blaming muslims for te increase in raping and that sharia law is infecting the us and europe.along with this notion that the muslims are trying to take over the world (and establish a religous dictatorship)
Well first of all where's the source and who specifically said that? Secondly, "Europe"? Really? You can't lump us together like that. Thirdly, what's the question?

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Not Muslims per se, but immigrants in general. Most of them happen to be Muslims, yes, but it's more the fact that they're immigrants. Also, whilst not technically where I live (as in, not my country) but close enough to affect me (considering I have many friends there, and I like to go visit as often as I can), in some areas it's a proven fact that immigrants are responsible the increase in rapes and other illegal actions.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I can't say the scare is that bad even in the US.

We've all heard the stories against Muslims on the news, certainly, but what we haven't heard are the stories of the peaceful Muslims, which constitute perhaps more than 99% of the Muslim population in America. Now, I live in NYC, and we had one of these issues pop up recently with a mosque being built near the former WTC site, which a lot of outside conservatives came up and protested the building of - desecration of the site or some other BS like that, completely ignoring there was already a mosque there and they just wanted to renovate it as they turned the rest of the building into a community centre, not unlike a Jewish community centre also in NY. Had the building been stopped over that, that would lead me to believe in a wide spread "Islamophobia". But it's still a go-ahead on the project.

Another example I can think of was this one town in Minnesota or Michigan, I forgot which one - a primarily Islamic town, and the high school football team's practice coincided with Ramadan, a fasting month. 95% of the players were Muslim and therefore had to abstain from water during the day, which is suicide during football practice, dehydration galore. With the approval of the non-Muslim members of the team, their parents, and the general community, this high school decided to have their practice sessions in the early morning instead of after school, which meant players getting to the field around 4 am. Again, almost everybody you can think of who would be against this on the outside started complaining, while almost nobody who actually lived in this town did - they knew the circumstances and the general situation much better than anyone on the outside could. Humorous complaints too, stuff like the players "would have their school days wrecked" or "would miss out socially" or "would have less time to do their homework", as if they cared about it beforehand, or if those complaints even made sense. Nothing changed as a result of their complaints, only that football practice was moved back to after-school during the non-fasting periods.

I guess my point is that such a scare exists, obviously, and it is an irrational one, but it's a largely contained thing, and the media / political movements only make the scare look stronger than it is. In the US, this is a scare that's limited to a number of people who seek to make up for it by stirring up conflicts which they are not personally involved in. In the case of the "ground zero mosque", it was conservative political figures, a pastor from Florida, and 9/11 families who provided the bulk of the outrage against it. In the case of the morning football practice, it was state political figures who made it news in the first place. I don't see a problem with Islam, and I'm sure a lot of Americans don't. But we have a media that loves to stir shit up and make a big fuss over nothing, and an even bigger fuss out of something, and we're at war. So we're bound to see some hatred on our own soil.

I don't know enough about the situation in Europe ATM, all I know is that France is beating us at our own game. (The Ivory Coast AND Libya? 2 wars in 2 months?)

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
redeemer09 said:
simple qestion.found out europe is blaming muslims for te increase in raping and that sharia law is infecting the us and europe.along with this notion that the muslims are trying to take over the world (and establish a religous dictatorship)
Europe is NOT a conglomeration of states like the US is. You can't say "Europe" claimed that because Europe is not a country.

Dec 16, 2009
possibly the Muslim comunity needs to speak out more often against extremists and attacks.
if the loudest voice speaking for them is the extremists, thats how they'll be viewed by outsiders.
unfortunately its the few speaking for the many at the moment

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Of all the people who practice the Islamic Faith, only a very small fraction (and I mean very small) are actually the terrorists that the media has lead you to believe.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
The problem with the whole Muslim thing is that the religion is transitioning because while it is an older religion, it has largely remained unchanged due to the locations it predominately occupies. So while it spreads it's much more likely it will become much more tolerant as a whole.

So yes, Muslims are the problem but not all Muslims are the problem. The vast majority of Muslims are like every other religion, they have their faith and probably judge you for not having it but they don't do anything about it.

And on the subtopic of the Tea Party, they have some good ideas and some real good reasons for doing what they do, but unfortunately their positions do attract an unfortunate number of racist followers. I disagree with them almost unilaterally, but much like the Muslim issue, it's unfortunate a small group can poison the view of a much larger one.

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
yes. i tend not to think about it that much but yes. trying not to sound racist but they're a bit primitive with their laws (stoning for instance)

zabour

Apr 21, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Yes, it exists. I apologize in advance for this, but Muslims do frighten me. I know it's irrational, and this fear does not stop me from treating them with the same respect that I treat any other human being, but every time someone tells me they are Muslim, or they show evidence that they are, a little warning bell goes off in the back of my mind. Was it there before 9/11? No. It wasn't even there immediately after it. It slowly grew as I saw reports and stories about how a trusted neighbor turned out to be a bomber. How a soldier, someone who other people trusted their lives with, gunned down his fellow soldiers. How a stranger walked up and asked two men if they were from the U.S., and when they said yes he shot them. You ask the friends and family of the people who committed these crimes, and they always say the same thing: "We had no idea. He was such a nice guy. He did this, and that, etc." They all seemed like nice people, but they committed unbelievable acts in the name of their faith. That frightens me. And yes, I know every other religion has done this too.

Is it fair? No. Logical? No. Do I know that the vast majority of Muslims are just as kind and loving as everyone else? Yes. Shouldn't I be afraid of everyone else just as much, because anyone could do those things? Yes. Am I? No. Do I believe Muslims are responsible for all the problems everywhere? No. Do I believe they will take over the world? No. But somewhere, in the dark corners of my mind, whenever I think I see a Muslim (whether he or she actually is one or not), my body will be slightly more on guard than it will be around other people.
Umm... Execuse me, but you DO realise that the west has done far more evil against the middle east than you can imagine. Not even terrorist attacks like 9/11 can compare.

Look up things like the sanctions against Iraq. Accodring to Unicef; 500 000 children died because of those sanctions. If anyone has the right to be scared it's them, not you.

Get over yourself...