Poll: New Youtube Layout - Your Thoughts

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I don't like it.
It takes 2 clicks to see only the newest uploads of the people I'm subscribed to.
And that's way too much.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
I hate the sheer amount of white, but I otherwise like it. I like how all your subscriptions are with you while you're watching a video on the same page. No more need to open in a new tab from my home page. I'll get used to how the title is below the video, we all will.

It's just like all re-designs, from Facebook to the Escapist. People will hate it at first, but give it a week and no-one will care anymore.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
The fact the video now sits at the top of the screen, not lower down, really hurts my brain.........like really fucking bothers me.

As does half my screen now being filled with what can can only be described as 'the construct'!

And the volume control isn't popping up when I hover my mouse over it. I have to click it first (which mutes it) to get it to react.

And videos now seem to be randomly freezing, or even restarting from the beginning.

And this is using Chrome, their own fucking browser!!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
All I know for sure is that my stomach says maybe.

I'm kidding, I do actually not like it, not only because change is bad, but because I've tried to get over my initial knee-jerk disgust and look at it, and there is too much white. It's like sound without silence, for fuck's sake, some contrast please. Also, the video being at the top of the screen is really annoying, just aesthetically.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I much prefer the previous layout to the new one, it sits too far on the left and uses just over half of my monitor. I also hate how they are trying to get people to use their own names instead of usernames, I don't want to be putting my real name on youtube

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
The whole of youtube takes up 1/3rd of my screen, the left third, in a vertical column now. I don't like. More than half my screen is empty and white.
Before there were videos there to fill up the extra space, as is... Its just empty and blank and I don't really like it.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Yeah, it sucks. Feels like a half-baked attempt to make the site look "Slick & Cool."

Also, in the videos themselves, they seem to have ditched the button that brings down a neat little row of the uploader's videos. I used that all the time! Come on!

Edit: Hey, listen to this.

Now that I have your attention, I've discovered that if you go to the subs page, and favorite that, it'll take you there everytime. So, at least there's that.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
So far my only issue has been the left-floating design. C'mon, that's like Web Design 101 stuff right there. I haven't used it enough to find any more problems.

Simskiller

Oct 13, 2010
D_West said:
The biggest problem is that they removed the button over the video that allowed you to go back and watch older videos from the same user. I loved that feature so much.
This this this this this this this.

Only way I could find to get that back (video browsing of the channel you're visiting) is to go to the channel page, then GO BACK to the video and the list is there on the left (with everyfuckingthing else). Also it persists if you switch channels so it's more annoying.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
I despiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise the new youtube. Why the fuck do I have to look up in the left corner of my screen to watch something, THE HELL?

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
Its incredibly poorly designed for widescreen monitors, and is incredibly frustrating having to click 3 buttons from the homepage just to view my subscriptions uploads. Its terrible design from that point of view as it is (for a lot of people) the #1 reason why they go to youtube.com - their subscriptions. Fine, dont have it as the default, but allow US to set it as the default if we want.

Other than that I've got no problems with it.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
TopazFusion said:
Too much white!

It's like they've gone backwards by a few years, as far as the look is concerned.
And yeah, everything looks uncentered and out-of-place.

I don't upload anything there, so I can't comment on the changes to the uploading interface.
The amount of white is also my biggest complaint. The layout before at least had grey on the sides to even things out a little bit.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Dear YouTube: Given your obsession with metrics, I'm fairly sure you already know that very few of your viewers use 800x600 resolution. Please design your site accordingly. Advertisers typically avoid white space for a reason.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
Well, first of all:

Secondly of all, it's bad. Just bad. See, a lot of the time there'll be change and everyone will be annoyed because they don't know where everything is any more. Even then that's generally a valid complaint, since unless there's a major positive side to the changes being made then you're just disorientating your users for the sake of mixing things up a bit.

But in this case it's the first time I can specifically point out the things that are wrong with the new design. The titles are under the video. Some videos list practically no related videos. So much white. There's no way to browse at least some of the other videos of the user who's video you're watching without leaving the page. So much white. The front page is ugly as heck. So much white. The video player is flatly coloured with no dividing lines to make it clear what's what. The like/dislike bar has been made even skinnier, presumably to get more white in.

See, they're all minor complaints on they're own, but these minor things are what website design is all about. What possible reason was there to change it to this?

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
I despise it, it's a fucking pain in the ass to see what videos my subscriptions have posted. It's hard to quickly search videos from a particular channel and they've messed up playlists (how i listen to music whilst i game).

felbot

May 11, 2011
I just hate how they have everything to the left, should have it in the middle.

now it's just all white on the right side.