Poll: "Nintendo Considering Renaming Wii U" Good Idea or not?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
My personal opinion?

That is all...

Not clear enough, yes, im for them possibly changing the name. Though it wont affect the likelyhood of me buying it anymore...

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
Wasn't the original title of the system "project dolphin" during development ?
I never completly got why they decided on Wii in the end, but as a japanese brand my guess is on the similarity between "wii" and "We", placing the console as a system to entertain the whole family and bringing people actually together.

Wii U, is just plain and unappealing to western markets, but perhaps someone from farther east could explain if there actually are some associations to adding that particular letter.

Rebranding - totally out of the question. The Wii has been on the markt for way to long to do a relaunch of the brand without some major overhaul of the exterior design and gameplay.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
YES. It needs to be changed. It's not the Wii part that's bad. It's that it sounds completely moronic. Wii U? Seriously? What were they thinking?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As a supporter of Nintendo (in a bad way, like a beaten wife still loving her abusive drunk husband), I'm all for the name change.
I just hope it's not something even more stupid... please, don't beat me Ninty!, not in front of the kids!...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes they should rename the Wii U. It's not really a good strong name to sell it well enough.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
Yeah, they should have put more thought into it. "Wii U" just seems like a more subtle rip-off of Apple's habit of putting i in front of everything than "DSi".

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Fawxy said:
I think it'd be unwise of them to drop the "Wii" label altogether. After all, the Wii was the top-selling console of the current generation.

Just name it the Wii 2. Yeah, it's overly simple, but it worked well for the PS2 didn't it?
I'm thinking this.

If not, call it the Nintendo Wii 2 (NW2) And that way it'll be easy to put codes in to POS systems for retailers, in 3-5 years we can all say NW2 instead and it'll be easy to brand things with the shorter name. They get to keep their Wii brand without anyone having to actually say Wii which will be a positive and consumers will know it's an upgrade (because to be honest, the people who don't already know what they're picking when they walk in need all the help they can get, it's not easy to be a n00b in the current gaming market.)

LorienvArden said:
Wasn't the original title of the system "project dolphin" during development ?
I never completly got why they decided on Wii in the end, but as a japanese brand my guess is on the similarity between "wii" and "We", placing the console as a system to entertain the whole family and bringing people actually together.

Wii U, is just plain and unappealing to western markets, but perhaps someone from farther east could explain if there actually are some associations to adding that particular letter.

Rebranding - totally out of the question. The Wii has been on the markt for way to long to do a relaunch of the brand without some major overhaul of the exterior design and gameplay.
No it was project Cafe. Dolphin was a few generations back.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
How about the Nintendo Chronicle? Hey, if sega did the bible naming thing with genesis, then nintendo can do it to.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
it always reminded me of this http://soundcloud.com/ansh4real/spongebob-patricks-siren

anyhoo, i never really cared, but a bunch of people don't like it, and that's a problem if you want to sell something.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Hell yes.
I don't care if they keep the name 'Wii' or anything else, it's just why in the world did they call it the Wii U?
WHO DOES THAT?!

Then again I've come to the conclusion that marketing people live the first 18 years of their lives away from other human beings.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Given the logic of using the name "Wii" in the first place, Wii 2 (as in "We too," "me too," inclusive and positive connotations) is the only thing that makes any real sense.

The U does not make much sense at all. Yes, YOU get to play on the system, but that's not really saying anything meaningful at all.