Poll: Non Veggies...Prepare your rebuttals

Time Travelling Toaster

The Toast with the 'Tache
Mar 1, 2009
She killed the cat for fun not food, the difference is that chickens etc die quicker due to more human methods than burning from the inside.
Ie if you were giving a choice on your death would you die from a firing squad of something that would kill you quicker or flung in a fire for ages while you feel your skin etc peel and singe as you lie in agony ?

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I eat meat.

I also make absolutely no claim to be, in any way, moral. This has allowed me to view things as I see them in a quite objective manner. This, however, is one I have to chalk up to a simple thing: instinct. We eat meat and kill animals. I figure this makes us predators. We are not the only predators who kill for sport or are completely cruel to their quarry(Ironically, cats do both)before giving them their release.

Humans are animals, people, with phenemonal intuition, sure, but animals all the same. This does not mean that we MUST be cruel to our sport, but it nearly ensures that a percentage of us WILL be.

I dont care about this, nor do I fault the person who did this because they are simply acting out their animal instinct, which is FINE.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
The difference is that those animals go to feed humans, essentially making their deaths not wasted. A woman burning a kitten to death for the sake of doing it though, is just cruel. Besides, humans have been trying to keep it humane for centuries, it's done with faster, in the case of pork the meat is better (not kidding) and it's generally cheaper than a torture tron 9000, so humane slaughterhouse practices just make sense.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Because kittens are cute.

Chickens, cows, turkeys, and ducks are NOT cute.

And you might say "Well would you be fine with killing a human if its not cute?"

Yes. Yes I would.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not a vegetarian, I don't mind people who are vegetarian though unless they are activists.
"Did your food have a face?"
Yes it did, and I ate it.
Anyway on topic, cats and dogs are bred to be companions, cows and pigs are bred to be slaughtered, simple as that.

ZSF

Feb 28, 2009
Molten Water said:
You see Loads of people prancing about forums and such making a big uproar about the fact t hat a kitten was burnt in an oven or such.
I really dont care if someone burned a kitten in an oven. Actually...thats kind of funny.

Molten Water said:
for those who dont know, a cow is killed by running a huge nail through its skull??and a chicken is killed by cutting its throat and letting it bleed to its death??wheres the "Humanity" in that??
I dont have a conception of right and wrong, so this is quite invalid from my perspective
Molten Water said:
Also when vegetarian food is in plenty,and tastes like chicken if prepared the right way, i dont get why more people arnt turning veg...
Its simple, NUTRIENTS!! Tofu and what not isnt nearly as healthy as chicken. In fact, there are multiple studies proving soy to be poison. The only soy that is even edible is fermented. Such as miso.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Yurimistress said:
Raise your hand if you want to kill the vegetarian in a "humane" way and eat it. I'm all out of chicken.
Hmm...
*shoots up hand*
There are way too many around Asheville, and they're preachy. We'd be doing the world a favor. If I get one more pamphlet, I'm going to kill the person who hands it to me with paper cuts.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Yes yes, we all know logically that these creatures should not be distinguished. In a fair world, we'd kill them all, yes I know.

The fact it, in the countries that most people on this forum belong to, we don't' burn kittens alive.

If you really want to get all 'logical' about it, why is it fine to kill the 'bad guys' and not 'good guys'? Surely, we are in no place to put ourselves on a higher ground. Hell, it's just the same as shooting a bad person.

Look! I just gave us a reason to shoot people! I have converted the world to a whole new way of thinking, leading them fourth on a journey of exploration and discovery of a new world, with me at the lead holding a bright torch of truth, hailed a messiah of my time!

Dude, it's a fucking kitten.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
yeah, I'm (mostly still) a vegetarian too, but I don't expect people to care. I don't even really care all that much. People can't afford to care about every life on the planet. The kitten thing is silly because people get all worked up over certain publicized deaths. Death is everywhere, it's natural, it's a good thing. The factory farming stuff is a bit creepy, because of the disconnect between people and their food sources, but that problem's not isolated to just meat. Personally, I'm squeamish about meat and blood and viscera and all that, but I'm glad there are still plenty of people who aren't. It's gonna be a long time before most humans even respect each other enough to start worrying about other animals' "rights", and I'm not sure that we should ever reach that point. Self-domestication and all that... I dunno.

If you like being vegetarian, and proud of yourself for your empathy or whatever, then right on. But meat is pretty normal, and it ain't goin' away. What does irk me, however, is the *way* in which it's normal. As in, a lot of meat-eaters' knee-jerk "what?! tofu?! i ain't never tryin' that pussy shit! guffaw..." kinda reactions. Or the "beef is for boys, chicken is for ladies" marketing campaigns, or "eww, eating dog is gross, but pig is normal". All that kinda stuff. It's just food. Some of it dies more violently/painfully, but even that's no big deal (to me). If people didn't identify so emotionally with their diets on both sides of this "issue", then maybe... something.

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
Molten Water said:
kids in American neighborhoods beat up little kittens in a bag pretty often i hear form my cousin there
Oh you must mean Kitten Ball! I love that game. It's practically our national pastime.[/sarcasm]
Your misinformation disgusts me.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
The cat in the oven incident has been highlighted by the media because it was a shocking case of 'Animal Cruelty' because it cannot, in any way, be considered 'humane'.

The reason that cows, sheep, etc. aren't highlighted so much is they are killed humanely - or at least in the eyes of the law.

As for the reason I'm not vegetarian, well, its mostly on principle - the human body is omnivorous. The mouth has incisors and canines as well as molars and pre-molars. The appendix has shrunk to become virtually obsolete - its primary function is to break up the cellulose in plants. And the body needs essential amino acids (one its can't produce) and these come from... you guessed it, meat.
Also I have been around the killing and gutting of deer for most of my life (my dad was a deer stalker for about 14yrs) so I don't mind the thought of it, the blood, or whatever else may put someone off meat.

Bruiser80

Feb 27, 2009
Omigosh! There's hypocrisy in our world!

You're doing your part by not eating meat, and you're also being a dick and throwing it in the face of the infidels. Good job!

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7u832uSmvk

I think Jules' speech in Pulp Fiction sums up why people look down on others eating dogs and cats, they have charm which other animals don't. We become attached to them and view them as special in some way, that they're somehow different from all other animals when they're not. I know some people who became attached to lambs or cattle, and couldn't eat them anymore after that.

On the subject of why people aren't all vegetarians, it's because we don't have to. Some people including myself enjoy the taste of meat, and realize the importance of eating meat (getting protein, essential amino acids, etc.). Not to mention, we're omnivores and there's no reason not to eat meat anymore, other than people's idea that because we don't have to eat animals anymore, we shouldn't. Plus, I'd rather eat an animal regardless, because plants are essential and produce oxygen as well all the energy we all need through photosynthesis, whereas animals just do what we do and consume more and more selfishly.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009

So, OP, what you're saying is that because some **** threw a kitten in an oven and burned it alive, you are well within your right to force your dietary habits on us? You're standing on the charred corpse of a dead kitten and using it as your soap box to tell us all how we're a bunch of idiots?

Shut up.

chefassassin2

Jan 2, 2009
I think one of the major reasons for the uproar is that the girl put the cat into the oven while it was still alive. Food used for consumption are killed, usually humanely, and produced specifically for food. Even lobsters are usually killed before they go into boiling water, even though the meat is better when boiled alive. It's the inhumane treatment that causes an uproar.
Molten Water said:
You

for those who dont know, a cow is killed by running a huge nail through its skull??and a chicken is killed by cutting its throat and letting it bleed to its death??wheres the "Humanity" in that??If you dont believe me check out the wiki on slaughterhouses :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughterhouse#Process
Also, yes, they kill the cow with a spike, but tthey stu it first so it can't feel it, then they use a device specifically for killing the animal by driving the spike directly into the brain, crippling the nerves so it couldn;t feel even if it lived, but 99 out of 100 times killing it instantly.

lasherman

Mar 11, 2009
Molten Water said:
You see Loads of people prancing about forums and such making a big uproar about the fact t hat a kitten was burnt in an oven or such.as much as i hate the idea of this, my complaint is the fact that it is these people who eat truckloads of chicken everyday...

Their most common argument is that "Cats are not meant for eating".so tell me this...how come cats are in this category but cows, pigs and chickens are not??they eat dogs in Thailand, and i dont see a lot of uproar on this...kids in American neighborhoods beat up little kittens in a bag pretty often i hear form my cousin there, no uproar.

for those who dont know, a cow is killed by running a huge nail through its skull??and a chicken is killed by cutting its throat and letting it bleed to its death??wheres the "Humanity" in that??If you dont believe me check out the wiki on slaughterhouses :

Also when vegetarian food is in plenty,and tastes like chicken if prepared the right way, i dont get why more people arnt turning veg...please non veggies, enlighten me.
you point out that cows are killed with a nail in the skull. the nail goes directly into the brain and kills it near-instantly. my father owned a slaughterhouse for years, and i know that the way they kill the animals is the most humane way possible. slitting an animals throat will kill it in seconds. even the larger animals are dead extremely quickly. if you can think of a more humane way to kill an animal for food, what is it? also you bring up the kitten that was burned to death, and then mention that those who complain about it eat truckloads of chicken. there is a difference between killing something quickly and humanely for food, and killing something slowly anf=d painfully just for the fun of it.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Molten Water said:
You see Loads of people prancing about forums and such making a big uproar about the fact t hat a kitten was burnt in an oven or such.as much as i hate the idea of this, my complaint is the fact that it is these people who eat truckloads of chicken everyday...

Their most common argument is that "Cats are not meant for eating".so tell me this...how come cats are in this category but cows, pigs and chickens are not??they eat dogs in Thailand, and i dont see a lot of uproar on this...kids in American neighborhoods beat up little kittens in a bag pretty often i hear form my cousin there, no uproar.

Also when vegetarian food is in plenty,and tastes like chicken if prepared the right way, i dont get why more people arnt turning veg...please non veggies, enlighten me.
reasons im not a "veg":

please look at the quote, "vegs" seem to have such small views on the world it makes me sick, dogs are eaten in China and the dogs example earlier, saying that that is a reason why people shouldnt eat cows but exclude dogs is like saying that we in America should let our kids drink because other countrys do, different cultures cant be changed because some people think that one other culture is better, i am against a eating dogs and cats on the principle that they are pets, friends, and can provide other services, they helped find survivors after 9/11, they help police find drugs and catch criminals, they are animals that not only are around humans but want to be around humans and i believe that cats should not be eaten because people love cats as their family members to, and above all this these people act like animal abuse doesnt happen to dogs and cats

another another reason is that they are always throwing it in our faces "you know that they killed 2 chickens to make that" and dont bullshit me ive talked with the "vegs" i even had a friend who was a "veg" but after a while he learned that we dont give a fuck that it took 3 cows to make these steaks

i was horrified when i saw how they cleaned fish pretty much cutting them in half and they are still alive instead of being one guy who doesnt eat fish i just try and find more humane ways to do it (hell even stomping on its face would be better than doing what they do)

i think the way we make meat is aweful but like soldiers killing to protect their country it is a nessacary evil