Poll: Nostalgia topic: Pokemon or Digimon?

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
Which do you/did you like more?

I clearly remember knowing Digimon was pretty much a ripoff of Pokemon, but liking it more anyway, especially since Pokemon have gotten so cutesy. Unfortunatly there has yet to be a digimon game as widely liked as the pokemon series... perhaps b/c its so disorganized and Ad Hoc in comparison...

In my opinion Digimon made for a better cartoon/anime while pokemon made for a better game.

-----I preemptively included monster rancher, for people like my cousin own insist it was better than both... whatever floats your boat man...

EDIT: techno goblins, gimme back my poll, damn it!

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Gosh is the Escapist eating polls recently...

I grew up on Pokemon, all I remember of Digimon was seeing a few seconds of the show before flipping channels.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I agree with the OP, Digimon was the better show but Pokemon had the better games. Unfortunately the Digimon tv series also eventually turned into crap. Did anyone else see that series they made where they brought back Agumon and he had a really annoying high pitched voice even when he turned into Greymon? That would be what i'm talking about.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Prefer digimon. i do wish however someone would make a decent digimon game (lost evolution looks promesing but its only in japanse)

RidetheLightning

Jul 3, 2011
I've always loved them both but the distinction fans have made between the two franchises is:
Pokemon - Great games Crap Anime
Digimon - Crap games Great Anime

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
The Digimon TV show trumped Pokemon every time (Atleast for the time I watched Digimon since I floated in and out of the series constantly).

Plus Thundercats was on and that killed everything else in my opinion ^^

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
the only comparisons that pokemon and digimon have were the "mon" in the name and evolution. That was about it. I actually preferred pokemon more up to a point that point being when i noticed Ash is a horrible trainer and All the incarnations of WarGreymon will always be better than watching someone say Pika pika CHUUU! over and over again. That and at digimon gt the better writing after season 2. Best seasons for me was season 3-4. And should pikachu be able to beat almost any pokemon at this point? it has to pushing level 90-ish

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Pokémon made for great gaming entertainment, but when it came to TV shows, Digimon just blew Pokémon out of the water in terms of quality.
I recently tried re-watching Digimon. Couldn't last for more than 4 episodes... just too childish and annoying for my taste now. Sad, really. :\

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I preferred Digimon to watch, I still like to go through the first series and film now as all responsible twenty-somethings should. Pokemon did make the better game though. In fact, somewhere on my hellhole of a desk is my Game Boy Colour with Pokemon Red loaded into it.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Pokemon back in the day, when i watch it now though its terrible.
Pokemon - Game
Digimon - Show

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Well, looks like we're called to arms again...

I'll go tell the Digimon fan club group...

DBLT4P

Jul 23, 2011
twaddle said:
the only comparisons that pokemon and digimon have were the "mon" in the name and evolution. That was about it. I actually preferred pokemon more up to a point that point being when i noticed Ash is a horrible trainer and All the incarnations of WarGreymon will always be better than watching someone say Pika pika CHUUU! over and over again. That and at digimon got the better writing after season 2. Best seasons for me was season 3-4. And should pikachu be able to beat almost any pokemon at this point? it has to pushing level 90-ish
well they also had the same target demographic, and wandering bands of child protagonists, but the "mon" and evolution thing made it impossible not to compare them...

I remember the first time I saw Wargreymon on the anime i was like "OMG that is the coolest thing ever!" he and Beelzemon were such BAMFs to 2nd and 3rd grade me...

On the flip side, grade school me would not forgive Ash for not evolving his pikachu... although the anime wasn't very good, the Pokemon Special manga with Red instead of Ash and Pika was pretty decent and had actual villains and stuff dying, but it was never really released in english and not extensively scanlated...

1st and 2nd seasons of digimon were my favorite tho

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I mainly watched Pokemon. I didn't care much for Digimon, but I did watch a few episodes of it with my brother who kind of liked it.

The show I wanted to watch was Monster Rancher, but I could never find out when it was on.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I prefer Digimon as a cartoon series based on the 1 to 1 pairing with a human and Digimon.

But Pokémon is a better franchise for me because it's 5th Generation is less awful than Digimon's 5th series.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I was always a Digimon kind of guy, mostly because the series was more than "Random Crisis, Team Rocket, then Pikachu intervenes". Digimon had more depth to it I thought, but that was just the TV show. Pokemon wins with games

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
As a kid, I dismissed Digimon as a rip-off instantly. Never cared for it. I do remember the catchy intro song, though.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
I preferred Digimon until they up and got new characters. Couldnt care less about it after that.

(Oh and I'm on about tv show wise, gamewise pokemon wins easily)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Simple answer to this*:

Digimon Anime had a better story that only got better as it went on. The pokemon anime was enjoyable for a while but meandered on and became repetitive and dull.

Digimon Games had a few gems but mostly flops, and the Pokemon games were wonderful.

Ergo I have better memories of Pokemon.

But the Digimon Anime has aged extremely well. Seriously go watch a few episodes. I'll see you when you get back having realized you just watched the entire thing. Plus in Season 2... Ken. Just Ken. Most intricately developed children's anime character ever, even more so if you know the wonderswan games subplot.

*Don't make me pick between them because I won't.

Ignorance of either one sparked the stupid early 2000's war of "THIS ONE IS BETTER NYEH!!1". Mostly due to parents refusal to invest in both franchises products understandably. ;P
They both developed differently and are both good.

Palademon said:
I'll go tell the Digimon fan club group...
Why am I not in this.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Pokemon was always way more popular, and it was better for like the games and stuff, but for the actual cartoons digimon was better. The bad guys were actually bad, not just lame ass team rocket and the fights were actually fights, not just competitions.