Poll: Nostalgia topic: Pokemon or Digimon?

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
Slash Dementia said:
The show I wanted to watch was Monster Rancher, but I could never find out when it was on.
I used to watch that, if my memory serves right it was on at six am on fox family pretty good.

OT: I prefer digimon as show I mean ash honestly sucks as a trainer and at least the ones on digimon actually grew up and weren't stuck in some prepubescent limbo like ash was.

on the gaming front I will admit pokemon is better but at least the digimon games tried new things, hell I was a big fan of digimon world one you raised a digimon, fed him, trained him and watched him change into a different creature depending on how you did it. I recently tried one of the digimon ds games and its a lot like pokemon you train guys, capture wild ones (by beating so many and unlocking their data) and evolved them (or devolved them) to get new guys. Then again I was always a bigger fan of monster rancher than digimon or pokemon.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I think my loyalties are well established. I hated it out of principle as a kid. Now I'm just not inclined to go there out of habit.

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
If we're talking about anime then definitely digimon. I recently tried to rewatch both series and couldn't make it half way through season 1 of pokemon. Monster Rancher also kicks ass.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Strictly speaking games now, as I never really got into either show. Pokémon is okay to me, I enjoyed it when I was younger but not as much any more. However, I still play Digimon games to this day. They're frustratingly deep and have multi-layered combat. Plus, they're all vastly different from one another, the very thing that got me uninterested in Pokémon.
So yeah, Digimon is a clear winner for me. Do anybody know if there has been a new (good) Digimon game release the last couple of years, after dusk/dawn? They're really hard to find, had to import them the last time.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Games, Pokemon Wins no contest.

Animes,Pokemon was good when it first started but soon settled into a predictable cookie cutter episode format. Digimon, while the name and most basic premise was pretty much a cash in Pokemon's success, everything else was top notch.

Movies, I am going to have to call a tie. Both Pokemon and Digimon have absolutely wonderful movies.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
This is how I rank my favorite old "mons"
Best game, Pokemon
Best cards, Yughio(yes i know there's no mon in it, deal with it.)
Best show, Digimon.

The Dutchess

Feb 24, 2011
Digimon! Digital Monsters!
Never watched Pokemon, completely missed the boat on that one. Watched Digimon religiously though!

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
I'll start with echoing the general belief here. Digimon is a way better show most of the time (I couldn't stand that season with that red dinosaur but I'm told it gets better, I just finished Digimon Xros wars and it's still an entertaining show.

The pokemon movies were way better than the Digimon movies though. At least the first three I admit I haven't seen any Pokemon Movie past the one with the dogs. But all the Digimon movies are absolute garbage.

Games wise I've yet to see a Digimon game that didn't suck. Part of the problem is they didn't explain the digivolution in any of the games I played and there was something really upsetting about your patamon evolving into a Ninjamon. Just terrible games.

That said Pokemon games aren't great. The stories (except in black and white) are annoying and forgettable. The leveling system is just us grinding our brains out and the game doesn't even attempt to explain itself as far as how complex the IP and EP values are and were they come from. Honestly if you don't have a bunch of friends to play against I don't know why anybody plays them and I see a lot of people who buy them and never once even trade. (Also it's damn near impossible to get all 450 at this point.

Sonicron said:
Pokémon made for great gaming entertainment, but when it came to TV shows, Digimon just blew Pokémon out of the water in terms of quality.
I recently tried re-watching Digimon. Couldn't last for more than 4 episodes... just too childish and annoying for my taste now. Sad, really. :\
Try starting a little less than halfway in. Digimon shows always spend the first ten to twelve episodes being annoyingly cute before the first legit threat shows up and while they'll still decend into little kid show from time to time they tend to be pretty good after that point.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
Ha, I actually started watching Digimon again earlier :D It's brilliant, can't wait to get some more free time and just sit and watch a ton and be all like 'CHILDHOOD MEMORIES WOO'

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
Pokemon for sure. At least you could train more than one and do more than just fight with them. Wiht digimon, all there was, was fighting and the 'digivolution' depending on the basis was sometimes only a temporary change. When pokemon evolve, they STAY evolved....Plus I just think they're generally cuter and awesomer.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
bleachigo10 said:
I agree with the OP, Digimon was the better show but Pokemon had the better games. Unfortunately the Digimon tv series also eventually turned into crap. Did anyone else see that series they made where they brought back Agumon and he had a really annoying high pitched voice even when he turned into Greymon? That would be what i'm talking about.
They gave the tiger striped dinosaur a high pitched voice? Why? All I remember is the first episode where that dude showed up in Japan and started tearing up shit like Godzilla.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Mozza444 said:
Pokemon back in the day, when i watch it now though its terrible.
Pokemon - Game
Digimon - Show

Agreed
The Pokemon games are truly classics, the anime not so much.
now on the other hand The first 2 seasons of Digimon where awesome then they ruined it with the 3rd season and it attempt to be meta, can't honestly said I've ever played a Digimon game.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Pokémon overall. It's been a major factor in much of my life, being the basis for many early relationships, and giving me the most sustaining joy. Digimon was arguably often a better cartoon, and I better related with it in lots of way, and felt that the digimon had much more presence and character than most Pokémon.

I love both cartoons.

I was into Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade too. Yu-Gi-Oh resurfaced in college, as I got back into the card game, but I transitioned to Magic after a few months, which I still play.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
RidetheLightning said:
I've always loved them both but the distinction fans have between the two franchises is:
Pokemon - Great games Crap Anime
Digimon - Crap games Great Anime
This pretty much sums it all up. Digimon was non-episodic, the characters were deeper, the stakes were higher (the fate of the world as opposed to just some generic kid's dream) and it had strict 50 episode seasons that actually allowed them to finish a story.

On the other hand the Pokemon games will always be around and they're probably what the franchise is most known for, even if I think they're getting a tad stale now (Spice it up will you Gamefreak!).

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
DBLT4P said:
Which do you/did you like more?

I clearly remember knowing Digimon was pretty much a ripoff of Pokemon, but liking it more anyway, especially since Pokemon have gotten so cutesy.
Alot of people say that Digimon is a ripoff of Pokemon, but that's not entirely true.

Digimon are based on Tamagotchi (another Bandai creation), which came out in 1996, the same year as Pokemon. The next year, it turned into the Digimon virtual pet, which spawned the show.

Not a rip-off, per se, but I won't deny that Digimon certainly profited from the popularity of Pokemon.

OT: As others have stated, Digimon had the better show, and Pokemon had the better games. Simple as that.