Poll: NVIDIA or Radeon

The Nossa

Jan 25, 2011
Simple question, which type of card do you prefer and why?

Personally I've used both types and have no real preference.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I'm using a Nvidia right now.
I've been using it for at least 2 years and it's still fine.
So I guess Nvidia O.O

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Voted for Radeon. Don't have a real "preference," but my last two cards (~5 years) have been ATI.

The (admittedly silly) reason I chose them was because, as someone who'd been out of the loop on what's "good" for years, I found their model numbering system really intuitive. It made it easy to judge which cards were worth learning more about. (Edit: To elaborate, if I see a mention of a specific model number, I instantly know where it sits in the hierarchy.)

Nvidia's naming scheme confused the hell out of me, so I never bothered to learn what the names actually mean.

Dec 14, 2009
Honestly, I have no real preference, mostly because I'm not really tech savvy enough to know the difference. Don't Nvidia cards have a RAM/processor bottleneck?

My current card is a AMD 7870, best card I've ever had.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Definitely Nvidia, I've had nothing but trouble with Radeon drivers so I swapped to Nvidia, no issues whatsoever.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
My last 3 main cards have been Nvidia, haven't had any problems and I really like EVGA's GPUs build quality. I do have a 7750 in a spare PC that I brought to work.

Sure Radeons are as good for a little less money but I stick with Nvidia just because they run a tad quieter and cooler.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
NVDIA.

Radeon cards just confuse me. GTX>GTS>GT>GS instead with Radeon we're going by numbers only.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
My current card is a AMD 7870, best card I've ever had.
Shouldn't your current card ALWAYS be the best card you ever had? People don't usually downgrade.

I've had both Nvidia and Radeon cards, and been equally impressed by both. I give the slightest of edges to Nvidia for their slightly better drivers.

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Running an Nvidia at the minute and really happy with it so that I guess. Didn't have a problem with the Radeon in my old laptop, 'cept that it was getting old.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
Nvidia, been using them for awhile now, I really love enhanced PhysX, so until Radeon come up with something other than eyefiniti I won't be considering them.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Nvidia for me. I've had my fair share of annoying driver issues with AMD cards. Haven't yet had an issue with a Nvidia card.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
mad825 said:
NVDIA.

Radeon cards just confuse me. GTX>GTS>GT>GS instead with Radeon we're going by numbers only.
im confused... you mean that you find numbers confusing? or have i misunderstood something.

OT: i dont have a real preference but currently i have radeon so i voted for them. although i must admit its been a ***** to get configured properly

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
mad825 said:
NVDIA.

So a handful of letters that have no discernible meaning when looked at without a translation chart makes more sense than numbers in ascending order?

OT: I buy AMD because I like AMD products, have never had a bad one and always got more than what I paid for out of it. Conversely I've had a few NVIDIA duds. Personal experience...
Oh yeah, and I've always felt AMD doesn't bank on a name and drive their price up because of it... *cough*Intel*cough*

Vardermir

Jan 18, 2009
I find NVIDIA cards to typically have smoother frame rates, even though AMD's can spike out higher frame rates. I'd rather have a consistent 40 than an occasional 60. So obviously I picked NVIDIA

Christopher Fisher

Nov 29, 2012
Nvidia; more and more developers are starting to use PhysX. They also tend to release drivers more regularly. At the end of the day though, there really isn't much of a difference.

Christopher Fisher

Nov 29, 2012
mad825 said:
NVDIA.

lol, I am the exact opposite. Radeon cards confuse the hell out of me, and I never know which is more powerful than the rest (except for their top cards). Nvidia cards are always easy to understand: 5 series, 6 series and the higher up you get the better the card (680>670>660 etc etc).

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I've stuck with Nvidia. I like what I hear about CUDA, but in all honesty, it's probably more to do with a superstitious dread of having to switch drivers.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
My current card is Radeon, and while I've only had minor performance issues the Fan on it is problematic. Every couple of hours it will make a horrific screaming noise and I have to manually fix it. I've tried taking it apart to find the problem but I can't seem to figure out what causes it. My computer case is constantly open due to this and I'm hoping to trade in for a Nvidia card once I get my tax return.

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
I've had a Geforce 6600, Geforce 7800GS, Geforce 8800GTS and a GTX280 and up until that point I had preference for either ATI or Nvidia. However I got a ATI HD5970 2-3 years ago and it is now the card I have had the longest by a years or more, and I'm pretty sure the next card I'm getting is from ATI/AMD as well. I can't really explaing why, I've just been more satisfied with this than I have been with any other card.