Poll: NVIDIA or Radeon

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
SlaveNumber23 said:
Definitely Nvidia, I've had nothing but trouble with Radeon drivers so I swapped to Nvidia, no issues whatsoever.
Radeon drivers have been a pain for awhile now, but if you can get past that the cards are generally a ton cheaper for similar performance. I just made a new computer and had to go AMD because you could pay nearly double for an Nvidia of similar capabilities. I'd rather get the AMD, get a better cooling situation, and overclock it to make up the difference.

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
I've had two Nvidia's and they both cooked within 18 months. Same with all my friend's Nvidia cards (8800GTX anyone?). So in my experience AMD/ATI are better. That being said I am aware that Nvidia are the better quality hardware, but because of this bad experience me and my friends have had I stick to AMD/ATI. That and the bang for your buck is much better with AMD/ATI. Also the relatively cheap card (5850 1GB - £200 when i bought it years ago) I've been using is STILL going and manages max settings (save for AA) on every game. Lack of Physx is the only bummer but that only reared its head with Borderlands 2, but then I managed to run physx on high just fine in the end (i5 @ 4.8Ghz might have helped there, not sure).

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
NVIDIA but when I'm buying a new GPU I'm looking at benchmarks first.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Running with a single ASUS-branded GTX670 these days, and I don't think I've ever tried using ATI components before! Always been Intel core and Nvidia card for me.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
The past two cards I've gotten have been Nvidia, but I have no strong preference, they've just happened to be the cards that best suited my needs when I bought them. I have used a Radeon in the past, and had no problems with it, and it's certainly possible that I will go back to them in the future.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Both. Nvidia's drivers play nice with any Linux distro I have and AMD has better mipmapping from what I can tell. I use both, so I'm good. :)

Hamtier

Oct 16, 2010
i don't have a strong preference, but i've had some technical issues with Nvidia in the past. so Radeon. just because it worked so well for me in the past few years.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
As of last December, a Radeon HD7850 2GB (HIS one to be exact). Replaced a GTX 580 that I was never especially pleased with.

Picked because of it's price. Despite that it's faster than the GTX 580 in everything except BF3 and uses about a third of the power on average that the 580 needed, it's a good time to buy a graphics card!

I've no special preference on brands, Nvidias are faster AMDs are cheaper, but from about £150upwards they'll all completely blitz 1080p gaming now. Maybe Crysis 3 will change that, we'll see.

Captcha: Nice Marmot. Nice to see that even in Captcha land, the Dude still abides.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
I had 4 different cards in my time as a pc gamer, first was NVIDIA which for some reason refused to work on my PC after a year or two, which was odd since it worked in every other pc that i tried to put it in. Then i bought ATI which worked mostly fine except for some headaches with drivers, newer ones bugged out my pc so i had to search for a random old driver that worked. Then i went back to nvidia with my new PC which worked perfectly fine, but got outdated so i switched to a new radeon card which works peffectly fine as well, I guess i would call it even from my experience.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Nvidia all the way for me. I'va always have problems with Radeon in the past.

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
I used to be a Linux guy many, many years ago. Back then, you'd have to manually install the proprietary drives for your card, and ATI cards were essentially non-functional for any 3D purpose. Since then, I've stuck to Nvidia. ATI's number system confuses me, but I'm sure that's only because I've been using Nvidia cards. It's easy to know that the 450 GT is an upgrade from your 230 GS, but I have no idea how a Radeon 5460 fits in there....

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
It should be either NVidia VS AMD, or GeForce vs Radeon. NVidia vs Radeon doesn't make sense.

I voted NVidia because they seem to be the ones who set the standards. I've used their graphics cards for years and they seem mostly reliable.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Nvidia all the way. When it comes to power, they've been reigning champs for these last few generations of cards. Their drivers also tend to be a step ahead of Radeon's.

On the other hand I do recognize that Radeon gives more bang for your buck, and that if you want to overclock, Radeon tends to outperform nvidia.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Drivers are the reason I prefer Nvidia over ATI/AMD. CUDA is good too but it is the user friendliness that wins me over now.

Maybe it is just nostalgia for 3dfx though?

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
For me at least, it's always been that NVIDIA has power, Radeon has stability and never the two shall meet.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Five years ago I would have said NVIDIA, because ATI drivers were a ***** to deal with. Nowadays, NVIDIA and Intel can suck it. They overcharge damn near as badly as Apple... and OpenGL support is far more important than Windows drivers, what with Windows gaming circling the drain.

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
AMD, From all the comps I have built, I find no difference in performance where the prices compete until you get way up with Intel, so it comes down to whether you want PhysX and while some of the effects are nice, too much of it is still in un-canny valley.