Poll: Oblivion Class Question

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Always go custom class. The presets are all very non-optimal. Alchemy is essential for being a good mage. Chug four custom Restore Magicka potions, then laugh like the Heavy Weapons Guy as you sling spells with impunity. Careful brewing of multiple-effect poisons can also gimp even the most powerful foes. If you have Shivering Isles, might I suggest Scalon Fin/Congealed Putrescence/Black Tar/Flame Stalk? Gives Fire Damage/Shock Damage/Damage Health.

Pig Mazurka

Mar 28, 2011
Okay, no one panic after what I'm about to say, but I just bought Oblivion Friday.

After smashing about 60 hours in over the weekend, I'm sort of enjoying using an assassin type person.

A bow, a blade, and some light armor. Currently suiting my fine. (Except for the moments where I hit them and they don't die, and proceed to turn around beat me to death.)

My major skills are :

1. Light Armor

2. Blade

3. Marksman

4. Security

5. Speechcraft

6. Sneak

7. ... uhm... and something else I can't remember...

I'm doing the Mage's Guild quests right now, and using the magic stuff they provide is pretty fun.

I keep wanting to make a new character because of the Vampirism glitch on the PS3 version, but I can't bring myself to do so at level 17. :(

I'm planning on making either a Warrior type person, or a sort of Battlemage after this playthrough though. :)

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Hop-along Nussbaum said:
This is probably the millionth time that this has been done, but I really don't care.

I have played Oblivion numerous times, as have many of you. And each time, I try to change it up a bit. Different race, different class. But for some reason, I can never, no matter how hard I try, get into the game being a full mage, with no melee skills to back me up. I always seem to revert back to the Thief/Assassin badass, and either an elf, or a Khajit.

At least that way, I get quests for Fighter's Guild, Mage's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, and so far only one for the Order of the Virtuous Blood, although ironically, I'm a vampire too.

So fellow Escapists, what say you? What class do you always seem to fall back on whilst playing our beloved game of ES4: Oblivion?

(Unrelated and off-topic: And does anyone really ever use the Alchemy stuff? Morter and Pestle, Albemic, Calcinator....and for what? So I can pick flowers?)
I usually go for a mix of stuff. The latest character I've played through was a stealthy assassin type picking off targets with a bow and arrow supplemented with certain spells and a one-handed sword (no shield for RP reasons) for if things go hairy.

As for race, I typically went for the human looking races (Imperial and Breton, haven't made a Redguard so far), though the above mentioned character was a blue high elf as I felt it fitted in with her being a stealthy archer (and also cause she was kinda inspired off my WoW character).

On the Alchemy note. Yes, tons of people use it, myself included, you're quite silly never to have tried it. It's just pure stupid how overpowered Alchemy is in both Morrowind and Oblivion. You can pick tons of herbs while questing and traveling without making unnecessary stops or going out of your way and buy more cheap as chips off a bunch of vendors. Getting to the Grandmaster position in the Mage Guild also gives you the chest that multiplies the herb you put in by 10 iirc, which also helps loads.

The rewards of Alchemy are once again, just stupidly overpowered. Once you level it up (again, stupidly easy to do, cause you can make potions out of stuff like bread and apples and it levels up in no time) and get the right equipment, the potions you make are just nuts. Healing potions last something like 2 minutes each and are easy to make, they can pretty much make you indestructible. Same for mana potions, you can chuck spells like crazy as your mana keeps regenerating.

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
I normally make an adventurer/scavenger class. It uses a bit of stealth, a bit of magic, and good armorer and barter skills so that I can sell off my found loot for mucho gold. I usually have a high luck, too. I have a trick in which I create a spell taht boosts myluck to 100 for a few seconds. Then I cast it before I open a chest. Damn good results about 80% of the time.

EDIT: I forgot about the mods. I installed better looking races (standard and new) that looked good. I'll admit, I like my eyecandy, and all of my characters (well, most) were scantily clad females. I love those mods.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
It seems rather odd to have something fairly niche like "Thief / Assassin w/ a dash of magic thrown in" when you lack pure stealth and the 50/50 splits of combat, magic, and stealth.

Regardless, I've only ever used custom classes with Daggerfall, Morrowind, and Oblivion. I lean towards melee characters with some stealth thrown in but I try a wide range of characters. My last Morrowind character focused on magic, speechcraft, and illusion magic and was a blast to play. My last Oblivion character was a nice mix of all three archetypes.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
Male Nord (90% of time) or Argonian
Starsign: Lord/Shadow/Ritual/Steed/Thief
Attributes: Agility, Int/willpower/luck/speed
Major skills: Light Armor, Marksmanship, Blade, Acrobatics, illusion, Alteration and mysticism.

Sneaky sneaky with swords, daggers, bows and everything sharp dipped in poisons.
If you see me i paralyze and chameleon/invisibility away.
If you focus me i will self heal with nord passive and cast lol strong shield spell (again thank you nordy)
If you dont seeme in the darkness. I see you and through walls.

Only irony is that nords were made to be heavy paladin types by their passive...
But as Finnish i find nords to be familiar with snowy areas and lots of drinking.

Edit: Naturally playing as assassin type since Brotherhood line is best quest line in whole game(well except shivering isles) and
If you dont love quest "Whodunit?" you are not my brother/sister in shadows

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I've done a couple of playthroughs...I've done a full mage, a sniper, but generally I end up using and training all combat aspects, even the ones I didn't choose my stats for.

Deh Zebra

Oct 29, 2010
Honestly, i just picked the skills that i would never use, so that I (nor any of the enemies) would would level up. I called it the "Pimp" class just because.

DeltaWolfson

May 9, 2011
Who really use a set class, it's a RPG in other words you play the way you want to play. I like playing a stupidly over powdered version of a Spell Sword, which I like to call the Overkill class.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
I usually take a mix between theif and acrobat, no magic. I basically design my charcter to abuse the sneak attack as much as possible. Ahh, all those sweet, sweet criticals...

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Custom class. I'm thinking, a male Breton who dual wields a staff and longsword (preferably silver).

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Most of the in-game classes suck big portions of ass, so I just go with whatever skills suit my character the most.

Right now I'm rolling as a dunmer assassin/swords-woman/adventurer/plunderer type character. I decided to forgo the "power-level" route that required an obscene amount of note-taking (how much of what minor skill to level for attribute bonuses, what hits which attribute, when to force-level and how, etc), I may be behind the curve a bit in the beginning, but after going through the game before, I think I'll be fine.