Poll: Oblivion Was Better

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
AC10 said:
I mean, let's be honest; Morrowind was the best one.
Every time a thread like this pops up I say the same thing as well. Though, I have noticed many heathens have crawled out of the woodwork lately saying the game is bad. Silly nonbelievers.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Morrowind had its time, people keep giving it praise on forums for being a great game. It is, however its really dated and the mechanics are terrible at best to describe. Plot/Lore comes in first place however. You play this game after playing a dozen games made in 2009+ there is a definite unwanted feel to playing the game.

Skyrim was perhaps the 3rd most boring RPG ive ever played (dragon age II the worst). I remember powering through it when I first got the game, and after finishing it wondering what to do.. Its just as recycled as dragon age 2 the only difference is that its more padded up with rotting tapestries and levers for metal gates. I hate dragons non stop, I think they are the most un-majestic over used lizards for fantasy. Dragon age, Dungeons and Dragons, Might and Magic, War-hammer all the heroes ride dragons ect ect. The O.P is right about the voice acting too, it was by far some of the worst voices ive heard for a video game, they didnt even sound Nordic or racial distinctions other than the cliche "arnold swartz style" voice. By far one of the biggest disappointments was the daedrea and the fact you can accumulate all their quests and be their champion. I wonder how many ways these daedra are going to split your soul? The weapons are not even strong as well, a well refined smithed weapon is 100 times better than lets say the mace of molag baal.

Oblivion is hard to remember cause I have not played it in many years. However I remember the worst leveling system with bandits running around with daedric axes and finding the banning of necromancy to be one of the worst mistakes in the T.E.S series. Only to re-arrange half the spells and call it Conjuration in Skyrim was pretty LOL as well. I also remember the game being a pain to travel around and thievery was extremely difficult.

All and All. Fall out New Vegas is by far the best game Bethesda/Obsidian ect have released.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I honestly preferred Oblivion more to Skyrim when it came to how the game was. The landscape, whilst repeating quite a lot, still felt better to me. Mainly I think it's because of the abysmal glitches I had experienced in Skyrim and I was playing the 360 version of the game. Skyrim's DLC really disappointed me too, because while Dragonborn was good and Dawnguard was okay, Hearthfire was completely stupid really and the fact that I remember Bethesda saying back before Skyrim came out that each of their DLC was gonna be a huge expansion pack like how Shivering Isles was honestly got me excited, but obviously that wasn't meant to be seeing as how little DLC there actually was for Skyrim.

I'm biased in this because I only had one character in Skyrim, but I encountered so many bugs that it just put me off the game. I encountered less bugs in New Vegas then when compared to Skyrim and I was playing NV on the PS3 version!
So in the end, yeah I preferred Oblivion to Skyrim, and to follow the trend in this thread I liked Morrowind over Oblivion. XD

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Saladfork said:
Morrowind was pretty but the gameplay itself was a little nonsensical. For some reason it didn't track hits based on whether or not you actually hit the target, but rather by rolling for attack like a DnD-esque RPG. Why would you ever do that for an action-RPG, especially one where you mostly play in a first person perspective?
The first two TES games were the sort of early 3D where it was TECHNICALLY 3D but hitboxes and stuff were very vague, so I guess it kind of worked there, and Morrowind was them not realizing that when you reached a more physics-based level of engine, you had to change some things. Still stupid, but the reason behind the stupidity is pretty interesting.

Anyway, on topic. I feel like Morrowind is a better setting, and Skyrim is better technically, with Oblivion just kind of being a transitory phase between the two. They're all damn good games, though. I actually have a rule (or rather, a pair of rules) for this series:

Every Elder Scrolls game is the best Elder Scrolls game.

Every Elder Scrolls game is also the worst Elder Scrolls game.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
My favorite is the one I am playing at the time. Since I am not currently playing either one, they are tied.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Skyrim was completely unengaging. The world was boring and grey, the enemies were boring and grey. Even the DRAGONS were boring to look at and fight. Remember in Morrowind when you first step outside and you're walking through what looks like an alien planet? Or in Oblivion, when you could stumble across an underground haunted fortress full of ghosts and imps? It's flavor, and Skyrim had none of that. It was all 'go here, fight some vikings, loot their corpses'. The game never surprised or amazed me, it was all filler.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
Skyrim was by far the better game, but due to immense amounts of nostalgia I picked Oblivion. I played it when I was 14 and it was my first truly open world RPG and I loved it. A broken, clunky mess it may be, but I love it.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
I had the problem of thinking that I shouldn't start Skyrim until I finish Oblivion, and I couldn't start Oblivion until I finished Morrowind.

The problem was, I was enjoying the world of Morrowind so much, that I spend the better part of six years just wandering and meeting as many people as I could and reading as much as I could that I didn't want it to end.

When Skyrim was about two months away, I hurried up and completed Morrowind and started in on Oblivion. The Oblivion play-through was done with the aim of just getting through the main story-line.

This rushed sense of need may be a mitigating factor in why I didn't really enjoy the game all that much. Every time that I had to enter an Oblivion Gate (after the third one) and realized that it differed from the previous one only in the layout, I began to loathe having to enter them. While the graphics were an improvement on the previous Elder Scrolls iteration, that wasn't enough to capture a place in my heart. It just seemed a hollow game.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
In my opinion the landscape and the region have something to do with it.
I actually LIKED Oblivion's leveling system.
It made you think real hard about what you wanted your character to be.
Case in point. I specialize in stealth and the short sword, yet if I wanted to I can max out every skill set.
It's hella lame.

I think a region like Elsewyr would be IMMENSELY interesting.

The Moons To Elsyr mod was the best thing I ever got, and considering the amount of variety in landscape and people hinted at to live there, as well as the diverse culture could be very interesting.

Case in point, I honestly think one of the reasons why I think Morrowind was more interesting is because it featured a region that was predominately elven.
It's more fascinating to us because we can't really relate to a species that isn't us.
They Imperials and the Nords are basically us. And with familiarity there is recognition and in a way blandness.
However with elves, anything can go.
Same with the Khajiit and the Argonians.
I want to know more about them.
How they view themselves.
Not how the other races (whom have a negative bias towards them.) view them as.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
DRTJR said:
cyrodiil should have been a lush tropical jungle, BUT NOPE it's just another generically European setting.
That's because- If I'm not mistaking
Elsewyr and Black Marsh are supposed to be the tropical/diverse climate regions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I really didn't like Oblivion. I wouldn't have touched Skyrim based on that, but I got it free in my new Xbox 360 package. My girlfriend tried it and effectively got me into it. I'm considering rebuying it for the PC so I can dick around with mods.

I'll say a game I like is better than one I don't.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I think Skyrim is superior to Oblivion in every way except one: story. I've yet to finish it, but while I enjoy Skyrim it just feels like Oblivion had the better main and side stories. While it's a pretty important aspect, I feel Skyrim does a good enough job for me to place it above Oblivion. On a side note, I use Skyrim's combat music in my personal gaming music playlist for other games. Particularly the boss battle music resonates with me.

soul_rune1984

Mar 7, 2008
I love both games but, Oblivion is my favorite of the two just for the Shivering Isles. Sheogoraths realm is such a beautiful place, I had spent more time in that realm than I did in Cyrodill. I also love Hermaeus Moras realm as well, but not as much as the Isles.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
The elder scrolls are getting worse as time goes on. They are still great games but as Bethesda moves toward mainstream their formula gets diluted and a little less unique. I played morrowind right up until oblivion came out played oblivion for 2 hours then started another mage run in morrowind. Each game has its strong points which will attract different players and govern different favorites but for me the height was Morrowind and each game since has been a on a slight decline.

BlackFlyme

Dec 27, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
-The hardest puzzle in Morrowind was a pillar that told you to "breathe deep of the water" and you had to go drown yourself.
There were a few things that were really hidden away, but they weren't puzzles, just rewards for exploring. One example I can remember was a woman stuck on a ledge in one of the underground strongholds. She couldn't call out to you or anything, to find her you'd have to levitate along the ceiling.

Though there was a tomb I found that had a labyrinth within it. That I simply levitated over.
-NPC directions were also abysmally shit, and oftentimes outright wrong, causing many people to spend upwards of an hour looking for a place that turned out to be 10 feet away. the copy-pasta terrain, and massive amounts of fog, didn't help either.
It's fine in some areas, like near Balmora, where everything is right next to the road, but areas like Molag Amur were so incredibly craggy and occasionally devoid of paths that finding the wrong dungeon could be considered a small miracle. This was often made worse by the near constant dust storms that plagued half the island.

Sometimes the only way to actually find things was to hope you'd see the door symbol on your mini-map.

The worst directions I remember was being told to find a dungeon on an island in the western Sheogorad region. Which is entirely made up of islands.
-Why would you need to kill anyone though?
Aside from Vivec having the second Wraithguard, which is somewhat buggy, and Divayth Fyr having the only daedric pauldrons outside of any add-ons, I can't recall any reason to kill any main characters.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I couldn't get into Oblivion or Morrowind, so I'll say I preferred Skyrim. Maybe I'm just... whaddya call them... 'casual'.
Actually, I really hated Oblivion, it's after Battlefield 3 on my least favourite games ever list. For its time, however, I'm sure it was really great- I just played it in 2011 before Skyrim came out.
However without Oblivion there would be no 'Oblivion with guns' (Fallout 3) and the greatest game ever made ever would be missing from the face of a world. We'd still be in a horrid world, holding africans as slaves and not letting women vote. Or maybe I just can't really remember a time before the bombs fell.
OT: Wow I got sidetracked.