Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So the world decides to unify everyone under a common language, but doesn't know how to do it. So, they decide everyone must vote for the language they think would be best that isn't their primary language already. That means for most of you English is out. What would you vote for?

Personally I'd vote for Spanish. That language is simply music to my ears.

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
I didn't vote French because I was forced to study it in school all these years, and I find it so awkward with the masculine and the feminine words.
I didn't vote Chinese because from my limited knowledge of it (as in, watching Ni Hao Kai Lan with my kids) so many words are so similar. I'd get confused. :(
And, I had a predisposition against Spanish, because my kids went through a Dora/Diege phase. Those shows are so annoying, thus making me find the language annoying too >:|

And... I don't remember what the other choices were.

So, I voted Japanese because I think it's pretty. :)

HotPocket

Jan 5, 2010
Squilookle said:
So the world decides to unify everyone under a common language, but doesn't know how to do it. So, they decide everyone must vote for the language they think would be best that isn't their primary language already. That means for most of you English is out. What would you vote for?

Personally I'd vote for Spanish. That language is simply music to my ears.
Spanish is the only other language I'm close to knowing.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Japanese. I hope to go to Japan someday so learning it would probably be a good idea.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
A variable language with which people can speak to each other producing intuitive rather than predefined words. Obviously we don't have the understanding of the human cognitive process to create something like this.

And otherwise:
English.
Why is that not an option?
You anglophile philistines!

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
oh man, Dutch. All kinds of voting for Dutch. I don't know why, but I love that language, and I don't know how to speak it. :(

Shpongled

Apr 21, 2010
Lets all speak Chinese. If we're all going to be speaking the same language, we may as well speak a language that doesn't exist.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
Spoken language, Russian. Just highly versatile and allows for culture, scientific notation and everyday use, and adaptable to emotion change (as in, you could say the same statement angrily, matter-of-factly and romantically without sounding awkward in the slightest).

Written language, it'd be a ***** for everyone to learn Cryllic. Most Russian-Americans don't know how to read or write. Russia does have a 99.9% literacy rate, though, so I guess it'd be possible if you learned it since birth. In the meantime, we could still use the Latin alphabet. Something about written Chinese (and before anyone thinks of it, Mando and Canto have no changes in the written language) just sticks out to me. I don't know why, but I have a feeling it's a superior written language.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Latin, because no one speaks it any more (at least not in day to day conversation). Anyway, everything would sound so dramatic.

Thnelis

Oct 25, 2009
English because it's the only other language I know besides my own and I really can't be bothered to learn another.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
Japanese from the list. I like the way it sounds and flows.

I might also consider casting a vote for Latin.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
I picked German 'cause I knew it the most.

Had to take Spanish when I was in Elementary School(Grades 2 to 5), and I didn't like it.

PunkZERO

Oct 11, 2010
I pick Russian.

German is my mother's tongue and I speak English well enough so I pick Russian to understand what my girlfriend's parents are bragging about xD

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
English. Not my primary, I know it, I like it, it's much better than Russian, which is atrocious in my opinion.

And already many people know it, and it is basically the main language, so, yeah.

Kryzantine said:
Written language, it'd be a ***** for everyone to learn Cryllic. Most Russian-Americans don't know how to read or write. Russia does have a 99.9% literacy rate, though, so I guess it'd be possible if you learned it since birth.
It is possible. But it's difficulty has nothing to do with Cyrillic.

It has to do with the most retarded set of exceptions and rules ever, anywhere.