Poll: One world language... that isn't yours.

Kernow Chris

Oct 28, 2010
Chinese, I have studied french and found that a language with so many exceptions is just annoying XD and german is too harsh, i love the grammar and how it is layed out so easy, just doesnt sound nice... Mandarin on the other hand is great :D Grammar is similar to english and even if you cant read the character, the components of it mean that you can understand it anyway, better than having to learn how to spell a word, and even then the meaning might not be clear :)

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Spanish. Because I love to sing in spanish.

On the subject of French.
To quote Chopper Reid, in French you just add 'le' in front of everything. As in: Le Sawn-ff Le Shotgun.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Ahem... I'd like an English option, just because most people here speak English doesn't mean everyone does.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Oh man, I can't decide, most of them are good.
However, I want to object to the notion of Esperanto. That language is an abominiation, an awkward-sounding frankenstein sloppily cobbled together from European languages.
If I had to choose, though, I suppose french, since that one I know. Or english, since it's not my first language. Or German, since it sounds awesome and seems easy enough to learn. Or spanish or swedish.

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
Uhm, English is not my first language, and I would totally vote for it.
Ok, also because I´m better at it than at most other foreign languages, but that counts for most people. It serves us all very well as a lingua franca up to this point, so why change it?

Also, a language that has phrases like "Abominable Snowmen" and "The room is to small to swing a cat in it" is just made of win.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
Esperanto, cause that's the entire point of Esperanto. I was dissapointed the last poll about this excluded it.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
I know it's an attempt to make it fair, but doesn't making it so you can't vote for your first language slate the vote against English and Chinese somewhat?

For me, German. The world would be a happier place if everyone spoke German.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
French would probably be it because a lot of organisations use it but I'd prefer German, closer to English and isn't as complicated as Latin or Romance languages

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Serenegoose said:
It's hard to imagine being mad at someone whilst they speak dutch to you though. It's a nice language. :)
You should hear Dutch swearing. The hard consonants really come into their own. (BCDFGHJKL that's consonants right?) The sound really changes when people get riled up.

As for the dutch bit, I was just asking if it really sounded that interesting (and then answered my own question in English).

We don't have towns called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch though. But I always really liked 's Hertogenbosch.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Vortigar said:
English.
Why is that not an option?
You anglophile philistines!
Retardinator said:
I'd vote English but OP was very inconsiderable...
chstens said:
Ahem... I'd like an English option, just because most people here speak English doesn't mean everyone does.
Next time, try reading the whole OP.

...or the title of the poll.

...or the title of the thread.

Sephychu said:
I know it's an attempt to make it fair, but doesn't making it so you can't vote for your first language slate the vote against English and Chinese somewhat?
It's deliberate to avoid the results being skewed by people like those quoted above you.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
Squilookle said:
Vortigar said:
English.
Why is that not an option?
You anglophile philistines!
Retardinator said:
I'd vote English but OP was very inconsiderable...
chstens said:
Next time, try reading the whole OP.

...or the title of the poll.

...or the title of the thread.

Sephychu said:
It's deliberate to avoid the results being skewed by people like those quoted above you.
Fair point, but I believe the latter two of the people you quoted do not speak English as their first language, based on their wording.
Regardless, I see what you mean.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Japanese. I have studied it a little, and it's very well structured. There's none of that ambiguity, exceptions to rules etc. Overall it actually isn't too hard to learn, except the kanji thing.
There's literally thousands of characters that can mean whole words. Concepts and the such. Kanji for days, months, many, many words. Other than that though.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Well, since Italian isn't on there for some unfathomable reason, I suppose I'll cast my lot for Spanish.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Vortigar said:
Serenegoose said:
It's hard to imagine being mad at someone whilst they speak dutch to you though. It's a nice language. :)
You should hear Dutch swearing. The hard consonants really come into their own. (BCDFGHJKL that's consonants right?) The sound really changes when people get riled up.

As for the dutch bit, I was just asking if it really sounded that interesting (and then answered my own question in English).

We don't have towns called Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch though. But I always really liked 's Hertogenbosch.
Well, English doesn't have that town name either - that's Welsh. Which is also a language I like, but only because being forced to live in this hellhole, one of the few positive things I've noticed is that the language is at least consistent, unlike English.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Sephychu said:
Fair point, but I believe the latter two of the people you quoted do not speak English as their first language, based on their wording.
Regardless, I see what you mean.
The last guy (chstens) I quoted because he assumed I thought everyone spoke English, which he would know is not the case had he actually read the OP, and as for the second one, I would have agreed with you that they didn't primarily speak english except for their name, which meant anything was possible.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
English.
Or French.
But Swahili is fun.....
But definitely English as a world language, much has a wide range of synonyms.
Perhaps with more Swedish inspired words.....

Yes! Svenglish would be the greatest language in the world.