Poll: Optional Patch for Skyrim?

iNsaneMilesy

Dec 10, 2008
kortin said:
iNsaneMilesy said:
Spiders are not the most, I guess, most frightening thing in that game. But to want a patch to remove them... shit, grow a pair or dont play it.
Why would he "grow a pair"? Testicles are vulnerable points that can be damaged easily.

And you obviously aren't an arachnophobe. You cannot just, as the saying goes, "grow a pair".
To use the English language to its most creative means obviously some can only react a typical ignorant sarcastic reaction in some people... "growing a pair" would suggest nothing more than to "harden the fuck up" and get over it. They are images on a screen, not actual spiders. The question of whether a patch, just to acomodate small few over something so stupid is insane, is a waste of time money 'for arguments sake'. The world already gives out too many participation awards...

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
You know something, I agree with this entirely. Spiders are scary and icky, we shouldn't have them in Skyrim.

You know what else, We should remove the dragons too.

I'm Dova-phobic, and whenever I see a dragon in real life I evacuate my bowels like the colossal pussy that I am. I'm tired of screaming like a little girl every time one falls from the sky and tries to eat me as I stand quivering in a slowly growing pool of fear-piss, I think (despite my obvious bias on the subject) the game would be so much better without them!

Chiasm

Aug 27, 2008
Sadly, I don't think this will be a optional patch for the xbox just due to lack of demand, maybe in the goty edition they could add more options easier.

However, I feel your pain I have really bad video game acrophobia and always get dizzy when playing games like Mario or Tomb Raider due to it.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Phlakes said:
I'm not arachnophobic and I still fucking hate those spiders. I was fine for a few days, but I think it started because this happened-

Phlakes said:
I walked in a room, looked around because there was shit there, and then I realized spider sounds had been playing. And they sounded too close to be in a different room. Being genre savvy, I slowly looked up- two giant fucking spiders on the ceiling right above me.
I'm not gunna lie, I'm the same way. My sister is arachnophobia so I always had to "save" her when we were growing up, I have absolutely no problem with spiders (unless they just "appear" on me and I'll flinch) but in game spiders (not just in Skyrim) really creep me out. I think its because they are bigger than small cars...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Damien Granz said:
I'm arachnophobia, but for whatever reason, it only effects me if I see a spider in real life, or at least am convinced one might be on my person. I've never had a fear of spiders in games or the like. I've personally actually volunteered to research them and the like in school, due to thinking of the adage 'knowledge of something will make you less afraid of it'.

Actually, at least for me, the idea of them being large and easily seen makes them a bit less scary, even though I know 'logically' that I should be more afraid of a 10 foot tall spider compared to a little itty bitty thing that I could mash into atoms by walking on it by accident.

OT: I'm not exactly paralyzed by my arachnophobia, unless the spider in question is huge and right near my physical being, and spiders in games have never really bothered me. Though, it's too bad you're not playing on the PC, because as everyone who's ever played a Bethesda game could tell you (and not just in reference to this specific event):
"There's probably a mod for that."

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Rutnier Nodarse said:
iNsaneMilesy said:
Spiders are not the most, I guess, most frightening thing in that game. But to want a patch to remove them... shit, grow a pair or dont play it.
Notice how NOT EVERYONE wants them removed? That's WHY I recommended an Optional patch, if thy don't like keep thy spiders, if thou' is shitting bricks, let them be banished. (removed)
That's exactly why I voted no. If it was something better for everyone, sure, worth making a patch for it.

But for an optional update that a select group is going to want, it's a waste of development time and I'd rather see them working on something else that potentially appeals to most of the userbase. Developing things for universal appeal is a much better use of time and resources than optional updates for every group with this or that issue.

This is modder territory, just going to have to bite the bullet since you went with the console version. But you never know, entirely possible Bethesda might decide the market for such a thing is large enough to merit the development resources.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I find it extremely unlikely that they would patch out the spiders which are easy to kill and don't even look that frightening. Then I am from Australia, where generally you can find spiders living under your toilet seat.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Naw I enjoy the gigantic ones that come falling down on you. They are scary but awesome.
EDIT: FUCK YA! POST NUMBER 1000!

Eccentric Lich

Dec 8, 2009
I really can't believe how many people complain about this. I'm afraid of heights, but I didn't ask for anyone to remove the quest on the Throat of the World.

You know why? Because it's a game.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
The amount of ninja'ing going on in this thread is unbearable.

On topic: Sadly, it's simply impractical to remove all possible phobia-inducing elements from games like this; even the common ones (spiders, snakes, liberals) each would come with a significant amount of reworking to really do the job properly.

For instance: Try to come up with an immersion-friendly reason why giant web-nests full of egg-sacs would all be empty of spiders.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
If it was physically possible and feasible for them to add an 'option' to remove them, and it wasn't on by default, I wouldn't care a bit, honestly. If there's significant portion of the population that needs this, and it's optional and feasible, sure thing.

Same thing with Color Blind friendly settings (hacking in Bioshock 2 is basically impossible for R/G colorblind people, as instead of Red/Green they had Green/SlightlyDiffrerentGreen). An option to make it Green/Yellow would had been fine.

shrekfan246 said:
Damien Granz said:
I'm arachnophobia, but for whatever reason, it only effects me if I see a spider in real life, or at least am convinced one might be on my person. I've never had a fear of spiders in games or the like. I've personally actually volunteered to research them and the like in school, due to thinking of the adage 'knowledge of something will make you less afraid of it'.

Actually, at least for me, the idea of them being large and easily seen makes them a bit less scary, even though I know 'logically' that I should be more afraid of a 10 foot tall spider compared to a little itty bitty thing that I could mash into atoms by walking on it by accident.

OT: I'm not exactly paralyzed by my arachnophobia, unless the spider in question is huge and right near my physical being, and spiders in games have never really bothered me. Though, it's too bad you're not playing on the PC, because as everyone who's ever played a Bethesda game could tell you (and not just in reference to this specific event):
"There's probably a mod for that."
Ugh that son of a ***** first fucking picture. I hate you, random internet guy, for making me click that[footnote]Note: Hate is 100% facetious and I take full responsibility for clicking a link on the internet that had a warning not to click it, knowing full well that you never click anything on the internet that contains pictures unless you want to be grossed out[/footnote].

Edit: My boyfriend shuddered audibly at the first picture too and he's the one that has to come kill the spiders for me when I wuss out like a girl.

Edit 2: My boyfriend pointed out that my first post has the error where I said "I am arachnophobia" instead of "I am arachnophobic". Yes. I am indeed the incarnation of a fear.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Spiders are in games and spiders in games cannot hurt you. Arachnophobia or not irrational fears are irrational.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Damien Granz said:
Snip
Ugh that son of a ***** first fucking picture. I hate you, random internet guy[footnote]Note: I love high-jacking footnotes, which is the biggest reason I'm responding.[/footnote].
Oh yeah, I can live with the other three (put a different link for the fourth cause the original apparently broke), but that first one makes me cringe every damn time. And then makes me glad I live in New England, where anything even half the size of that monster would be considered a mutant and probably exterminated with fire by anyone who saw it (provided they didn't keep spiders as pets or anything).

EDIT: I think what makes it worse than the fact that it's a big spider is the insane amount of babies as well.

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Damien Granz said:
Snip
Ugh that son of a ***** first fucking picture. I hate you, random internet guy[footnote]Note: Oompa Loompas. That is all.[/footnote].
Oh yeah, I can live with the other three (put a different link for the fourth cause the original apparently broke), but that first one makes me cringe every damn time. And then makes me glad I live in New England, where anything even half the size of that monster would be considered a mutant and probably exterminated with fire by anyone who saw it (provided they didn't keep spiders as pets or anything).
I'm not even sure that picture's of Australia, because I have no frame of reference how big that 'mother' spider is compared to her brood. For all I know that 'mother' spider is tiny, and her brood is tinier.

So it could be anywhere, even New England.

I opened the picture again, to see for sure, and now there is domestic violence, help.

Edit: You really should had replaced all the pictures with puppies to make me sound crazy.

Humza Ahmad

Sep 22, 2011
I dealt with this problem when playing Fallout 3. I'm deadly afraid of ants so fighting ants in the game was terrifying. After a while I came to realize that killing these bastards ants actually helped me with my fear. I'm still afraid but, now I have the courage to kill ants.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
I thought that people are supposed to face their phobias overtime.
The Spiders aren't hard to kill, I'm a claustrophobe and if I had the choice to destroy all small crawlspaces I'd enjoy it. Killing spiders should be a triumph for it.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Damien Granz said:
shrekfan246 said:
Damien Granz said:
Snip
Ugh that son of a ***** first fucking picture. I hate you, random internet guy[footnote]Note: No, seriously, check out the original post again. Woohoo! Even better would be if I kept the original pictures though. . .[/footnote].
I'm not even sure that picture's of Australia, because I have no frame of reference how big that 'mother' spider is compared to her brood. For all I know that 'mother' spider is tiny, and her brood is tinier.

So it could be anywhere, even New England.

I opened the picture again, to see for sure, and now there is domestic violence, help.

Edit: You really should had replaced all the pictures with puppies to make me sound crazy.
I'm more partial to kittens myself.

Oh, I'm derailing the thread now. Erm. . .

I think asking Bethesda to remove spiders from the game is a bit much when they have so many apparent bugs and stuff to still work on. It's just not really far up on the list of priorities.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Bows are your friend. Bows and invisibility. They'll never even know you were there. (So they won't jump on your face.)

Damien Granz

Apr 8, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
I think asking Bethesda to remove spiders from the game is a bit much when they have so many apparent bugs and stuff to still work on. It's just not really far up on the list of priorities.
If the community's already made the mod, and it's stable on PC, why couldn't Bethesda drop them a few Benjamens and buy that mod and port it to the console? If it is, indeed a sizable population that might request this (and I suspect there might be?).

You get more customers for really NO real extra work (the mod's already made). So it's not a matter of "Can this mod be made?" or "Is this game difficult to change the art assets to?" at this point. Add it as a free DLC, and BAM, you validate the modding community and increase their drive to improve your product for free/no real cost, get more customers, and you look like princes 'giving out' DLC, which helps validate any pay for DLC you do make later.