Poll: Optional Patch for Skyrim?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Here are my reasons why I think not;
-You are overreacting.
-you are no fun, I like horror games/films/stories/real-life events.
-Failing the psychology of game design
-gives you a chance to grow and change for the better

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I'm not fond of spiders myself, which is why it's nice to be able to bludgeon my fears to death. Cathartic.

And besides, it's *supposed* to be unsettling. Removing the spiders from the dungeon would be like replacing the Grunt in Amnesia with a neon-green Care Bear.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Humza Ahmad said:
I dealt with this problem when playing Fallout 3. I'm deadly afraid of ants so fighting ants in the game was terrifying. After a while I came to realize that killing these bastards ants actually helped me with my fear. I'm still afraid but, now I have the courage to kill ants.
This. I'm hugely arachnophobic, so much so that my girlfriend has to deal with them while my kids piss themselves laughing at me. I find twatting Skyrim spiders to be very theraputic though. Even more so if it cuts to a finishing move and I can cackle with glee as my warrior drives a sword through the top of it's fucking ugly head.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
lobster1077 said:
Damien Granz said:
I'm arachnophobia.
You're Arachnophobia? You sound like a low budget supervillian =D
Oh, man. I have nothing to contribute to the thread, but your post accompanied by a Francis York Morgan avatar was just perfect. For all his talk of bad 80s movies, I could totally hear him make that remark and laughed my nuts off when I read it in his voice.

OT: Yeah, sure. Once they get the important fixes done, why not?

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Rutnier Nodarse said:
I don't know about most of you, but if I were to ask Bethseda just one little thing, JUST ONE, it'd be for them to make a (Optional)patch to remove those hideous spiders from the game. Now, before people start posting criticism please note:

-I'm Arachnophobic.

Some of you might post: "O'well, it's a game deal with it."

I've dealt with it in several occasions but in Skyrim spiders are 6 feet tall and jump on your face. NOW I know regular spiders do that IRL but they usually don't go over 4-6 inches. Arachnophobia is serious and I' FOR ONE think that if Bethseda were to make such patch they'd be removing the poison of one of their best games.

If you agree please leave a YAY or Nay to the thread thy's read.
You know...I have Kinemortophobia (fear of the moving dead).
I mean that's some freaky stuff...
However I'm not scared of any undead creatures in Skyrim....
I mean they aren't actually there in real life...

But I suppose you could always just download a mod that changes the spiders into something else.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Rutnier Nodarse said:
I don't know about most of you, but if I were to ask Bethseda just one little thing, JUST ONE, it'd be for them to make a (Optional)patch to remove those hideous spiders from the game. Now, before people start posting criticism please note:

-I'm Arachnophobic.

I've dealt with it in several occasions but in Skyrim spiders are 6 feet tall and jump on your face. NOW I know regular spiders do that IRL but they usually don't go over 4-6 inches. Arachnophobia is serious and I' FOR ONE think that if Bethseda were to make such patch they'd be removing the poison of one of their best games.

There are multiple mods for this issue.

Rutnier Nodarse said:
I'm actually on the Console since my computer's not much for gaming... And yes @Fiend Dragon I did mean Title Update :D
I have to admit, it wasn't a smart decision getting a console version. If your Arachnophobia is so bad that you can not play a video game depicting arachnids, why did you get Skyrim in the first place? Its a pretty safe bet that a fantasy game will have spiders as a monster, (blame J. R. R. Tolkien) and there is (an admittedly small) video showing a player killing a giant spider. As for not having a gaming rig, my laptop is four years old and doesn't meet the minimum specs for Skyrim, and I can still play the game.

Kernalgohd

Nov 8, 2010
I know its not the same, but I'm terrified of heights, but in games like skyrim, I absolutely LOVE going to the top of mountains and looking around (same thing for any other sandbox game with high places) Not saying to "Grow a pair" but couldnt you relish in the fact that your killing the things that freak you out with ease?

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
That is why I fuck spiders up with a flaming mace. I could use one of my various fire spells, but no. They need to be both squashed AND burned.

That is one serious case of aracnaphobia you've got there.

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
Sorry for the people that have arachnophobia but I doubt Bethesda would do this. Everyone else, stop crying.

I have honestly never understood why people play games like this, Oblivion, Fallout 3/FONV, Morrowind, etc, on consoles. Almost all of these games NEED mods. This, FONV (kind of) and MAYBE Morrowind are decent enough without them. Even then, I go out of my way to mod them to hell and back to cater to my own needs.

I understand that some people don't have the PCs to run them decently but I know others that DO and STILL refuse to play them on PC, only to have them turn around and complain about the game and it's features. I just scratch my head and go "uhh I don't have that problem, I modded it out. This is why I told you way before hand to buy it for PC."

PS: Sorry for rant and semi derail. It just got me thinking and apparently I've wanted to say this for a while.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
To quote a certain man:

"O'well, it's a game deal with it."

Seriously, they can't hurt you. They're not real. Besides, arachnophobia is irrational. Spiders aren't dangerous. Even the big ones aren't that bad.

Even that one would have trouble killing you.

cswurt

Oct 26, 2011
There are people out there who are afraid of everything.

You can even find some people who are afraid of curtains.

Should they make an optional patch to replace window curtains with bears?

Just get over it.

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
Rutnier Nodarse said:

-I'm Arachnophobic.

Just in case someone hasn't mentioned it dude, there's a fan mod replacing the spiders with bears - go check it out at skyrimnexus.com, if its still there, problem solved.

No Bethusda shouldn't have to cater for arachnaphobics, especially when there's a fan mod for it, and little demand beyond that. I won't say 'deal with it' because thats cruel, and frankly unnecessary in this scenario, go confirm whether or not that bear patch exists, if so, apply it, and you're done.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Hey someone who agrees with me i also hate the radscorpions in fallout.
believer258 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=28

there's already a mod :)
also, doesnt your fear of them make the spiders such a great enemy?
im terrified of bees/wasps, so whenever im pounced upon by one in a game it gives me great pleasure to overcome it. (for example the giant wasp queen in the first fable)
I, too, am terrified of wasps. Yes, me, a twenty year old two hundred pound man, afraid of something that weighs less than a pound and can barely hurt me. I'm not even allergic! And it felt great to kill the gigantic wasps in Metroid Prime 1 and 2. Oh, yes, and what about this fellow?

That son of a ***** scared me more than anything else, so badly that the first time I saw him I ran screaming from the room. But, damn it, I beat him, and it felt great, and I was a little less scared of bees.

OP, what better way to face your fears than in the game? Fight them or sell the game and buy, say, Lego Star Wars.
Also i cant stand wasps either.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
Really ... I was really disappointed I couldn't keep one as a pet.

Poor fluffy, my spider of the Dark Brotherhood perished in the great fire

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Actually now that i think about it at least they were not like these ones.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Rutnier Nodarse said:
Arachnophobia is serious and I' FOR ONE think that if Bethseda were to make such patch they'd be removing the poison of one of their best games.
No, it is not serious.
You think it is serious, but it is not.
Phobias are silly by definition, as they are irrational.
Spiders are not the 'poison' of their game.
The same way water, trees, darkness, wolves, or sharp objects are not the 'poison'.

Deal with it.
No, really, deal with it.
Phobias are stupid and a waste of energy.
Get rid of it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Eccentric Lich said:
I really can't believe how many people complain about this. I'm afraid of heights, but I didn't ask for anyone to remove the quest on the Throat of the World.

You know why? Because it's a game.
This. I mean, I have social phobia/anxiety, in real life simply talking to so many people face to face would make me want to hide in an uninhabited cave and never come out again, but in game, none of that matters. Despite the immersiveness of the game I know it's just that, a game.