Poll: [Origin] How many of us have folded?

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Well question about Origin. Have you installed it yet? Maybe you thought it was too intrusive, and monitoring your web usage was way too much, so you refuse to. Maybe you never gave a shit, and you installed it when you needed it, maybe you just refuse to deal with EA after their practices. Maybe you thought you'd never install it and now with Battlefield 3 beta you folded like a straw:

I Don't know, so I ask you: Have you installed Origin yet? Did you fold to install it or did you just install it?

EDIT:
dillinger88 said:
SO I've been monitoring Origin for a while now and the only folders it seems to access are the EA and Origin ones in program files, all the folders in C:\ProgramData and the Origin folder in AppData.

The only thing it needs to access are the EA and Origin folders and the Origin folder in ProgramData and AppData.

If you don't want Origin to access anything more than required folders just block all other folders in ProgramData and you're good to go.

Sandboxie is awesome for this. I've set it to create a log of all folders it accesses and let you know if there's any update.

Good luck and have fun.
Many posters have commented on the ability to use a Sandbox and avoid having their information gathered that way, might be attractive to some.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I installed Origin as soon as it came out. Unlike most of the gaming world I don't have a fucking hard-on for Steam. I saw, and still see no issues with EA or Origin. Don't care if EA sees that I watched that one episode of Manyuu Hikenchou or Sekirei over a couple times. Or knowing that I checked my bank account twice on Tuesday.

They would not be so stupid as to ever give put things like passwords and such, and vigilant consumers don't need to worry.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Well I installed it to play the Bf3 alpha from a while back; you know to see what it was like. Then it all hell broke lose with all that stuff about the privacy stuff and other such stories.

Still not sure if I've managed to remove its taint completly...what if EA's reading this...

Teckdeth

Oct 4, 2010
I don't have a lot against Origin, but right now I have no reason to get it installed. I will if necessary, but I've got Steam for now, and that'll do.

I have little interest in this Origin vs Steam discussion. It seems so arbitrary, even when compared to other arbitrary gamer arguments like PC vs Console, or PS3 vs Xbox. I mean, they're both free right? It's not like you can only buy one and need to defend your choice, they're free! Just get both! XD

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
I got a free Mass Effect 2 out of it a while back. Not a fan of it (or Steam), but a free game is a free game. I don't actually run it though, unless I'm actually playing the game, which will probably not be for a very long time.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Steam es numero uno... or something.

Regardless of my love for steam, Origin has no appeal to me.

AngelicSven

Aug 24, 2010
No, I really have no need to, as I don't really play many EA games as I kind of think most of them suck.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I was forced to download Origin when I installed my hard copy of Alice, so I didn't exactly 'fold'. I didn't plan on installing it, but since it's on my system I may as well see what use I can get out of it.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I couldn't give a shit about Origin, which is why I didn't think twice about installing it when I reinstalled The Sims 3.

If installing EA's client is what's required to play some games I've purchased and enjoy playing, then so be it.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I installed it the moment The Old Republic was available for pre-order, never had anything against it in the first place. Really not a big deal either way.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Just installed it and downloaded the BF3 beta. When I try to launch it, nothing happens, and it freezes. So Origin is pretty much the same as Steam.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
well I'm trying to, crap programm, you are now in offline mode because you do not have access to the internet.
I FUCKING DO
please select a valid cache map
WHY DO I HAVE TO DO THIS MYSELF
this cache map is invalid

remind me to buy a new keyboard tomorrow..

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I dislike it, but I also dislike any form of DRM including steam. Yeah EA is being a dick but if I want to play games I will just have to bend over like I do for all other companies. However I don't own a single game by them that requires it so I'm safe for now.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
No thank you, not until I can figure out how to isolate origins to make it run on what it'll see as a completely empty system. There has to be a way, but if no way exists, then I guess I'll only play BF3 on xbox.

Oh well.

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
I haven't installed it, though my computer prompts me to every time I boot it up. In my own little world of pc games, I haven't had a need, and the less random gaming clients I have on my hard drive, the better.

L3G0kees

Mar 25, 2010
O and I'm trying to download the battlefield 3 beta but I move around the store with the speed of moving shit. It just refuses to load the pages.

Xombiebubble

Oct 26, 2009
I already have steam I enjoy the service. There are no Origin exclusive games that interest me enough warrant getting Origin

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I still have and use Steam more then anything else, but I was forced to download Origin so I could play some of my Sims games. I enjoy building in Sims 3 and Sims Medieval. I usually like to build and decorate more then I like to actually play through characters, sometimes. lol

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
alrekr said:
Well I installed it to play the Bf3 alpha from a while back; you know to see what it was like. Then it all hell broke lose with all that stuff about the privacy stuff and other such stories.

Still not sure if I've managed to remove its taint completly...what if EA's reading this...
Entirely plausible as forum posts regularly show up in google searches.

OT: I don't play enough PC games that I'd need to.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Don't have a need to install it, and I've not seen anything in the catalog that particularly interests me, so I'm not going to be installing Origin for some time. That said, I'm not as against Origin as I was initially, especially since they got rid of the 'we can watch whatever you do if you play our games' clause.