Poll: Origin v Steam with battlelines drawn, where r u?

Evil Top Hat

May 21, 2011
I really hope origin fails. It's bad enough having to have one irritating program constantly running on my PC just so I can play a game, it'd be horrible having to have another one.

I am going to go out of my way to avoid games that might force me to install origin, just out of principle. Steam is bearable because Valve or at least a sort of respectable company, but EA aren't respectable, and will no doubt use origin to try and nickel and dime it's users in all of the cheapest and most pathetic ways they can.

Executor78

Apr 24, 2011
I am mainly a console player (Xbox 360), but I use both Steam and Origin for my PC games. So far neither has proven to be superior in my opinion.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
My position is the same as it always is. Until these digital distribution clients actually impart ownership rights, and stop selling licenses instead of games, then I hope they duke it out in a bloody battle and obliterate each other out of existence.

Yeah I get it. Steam has awesome "sales" But those prices directly reflect that there is no actual ownership and Steam in its discretion can revoke your license with or without reason and every steam user has agreed to this as well as agreed to if their account is closed that they are not entitled to any form of recompense for what has been taken away from them.

It astounds me that people buy so vehemently into this. I mean Most people wont buy gold from chinese gold sellers in MMOs because "why would I pay real money for something that isnt real" then why is it that people miss that when it comes to digital distribution?

So yes.. Let them duke it out and destroy each other. Perhaps we can get a proper method of digital distribution that isnt founded on such a faulty premise.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Do there really need to be battlelines? I use consoles most of the time, but I do use Steam often. And I'll likely use Origin for Battlefield 3. Is there something so wrong, so terrible that stops one from just using both? Sure, I'll likely use Steam a hell of a lot more, but I'll use Origin if needed.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
There wasn't an option for me so i haven't voted

My opinion is thus - Anyone who is loyal to a particular digital distribution platform is a fool and a fools fool at that. It does not MATTER which program you load up to play your game, or which distribution software you need to download it; they're utterly irrelevant to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

The ONLY things that matter are thus

- Which has it cheaper
- Which downloads faster
- Which has good security for my Credit card details.

And it really only comes down to the first one when you *really* think about it. There's not really a good way to measure each platforms digital security (and both are likely to be as good as one another) and Whatever download speed they have is ultimately going to be hindered by *your* connection speed. Not theirs.

So really, whichever is cheapest. I mean there's not even any grass-roots, "support the small business" reason to support one over the other. They're both multi-million dollar companies, they both publish their own unique games and they both suck from time to time.

My money goes to whichever asks for the least amount of money, simple as.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
RagTagBand said:
There wasn't an option for me so i haven't voted

My opinion is thus - Anyone who is loyal to a particular digital distribution platform is a fool and a fools fool at that. It does not MATTER which program you load up to play your game, or which distribution software you need to download it; they're utterly irrelevant to anyone with an ounce of common sense.

The ONLY things that matter are thus

- Which has it cheaper
- Which downloads faster
- Which has good security for my Credit card details.

And it really only comes down to the first one when you *really* think about it. There's not really a good way to measure each platforms digital security (and both are likely to be as good as one another) and Whatever download speed they have is ultimately going to be hindered by *your* connection speed. Not theirs.

So really, whichever is cheapest. I mean there's not even any grass-roots, "support the small business" reason to support one over the other. They're both multi-million dollar companies, they both publish their own unique games and they both suck from time to time.

My money goes to whichever asks for the least amount of money, simple as.
It's always nice to come onto a post and find you don't have to bother giving a long and sensible answer because you've being Thought Ninja'd.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Having used both services, I have to say I think EA is setting itself up for a world-class beatdown. Not that I don't think having some competition is good for Steam (that's what Stardock is for), but Origin is just...really, REALLY bad.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
Regardless of who is causing the issue I have alot invested in steam, but regardless of who is not behind the bs I still need steam for many of my current games, as many pc gamers do, and so will likely buy from steam again as I will be using it. that in mind either EA is retarded or valve are assholes (depending on whos behind it all).

mayney93

Aug 3, 2009
is Ea that stupid? why would anyone go against the king of said market, have they learned nothing, look at Microsoft bing and Google, Nintendo versus gizmondo, any many other things like that. why would it be different for EA? yes they're big but so is Microsoft etc....

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I feel bad for anyone who thinks Origin would be a good idea. Their terms of service pretty much criminal. Unlike STEAM, where you get unlimited downloads forever and ever, Origin only lets you download your games on their client for the first year, then you dont even own the game anymore, and just hope to god you dont lose the downloaded files or you gotta buy the game over again.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
viranimus said:
My position is the same as it always is. Until these digital distribution clients actually impart ownership rights, and stop selling licenses instead of games, then I hope they duke it out in a bloody battle and obliterate each other out of existence.

Yeah I get it. Steam has awesome "sales" But those prices directly reflect that there is no actual ownership and Steam in its discretion can revoke your license with or without reason and every steam user has agreed to this as well as agreed to if their account is closed that they are not entitled to any form of recompense for what has been taken away from them.

It astounds me that people buy so vehemently into this. I mean Most people wont buy gold from chinese gold sellers in MMOs because "why would I pay real money for something that isnt real" then why is it that people miss that when it comes to digital distribution?

So yes.. Let them duke it out and destroy each other. Perhaps we can get a proper method of digital distribution that isnt founded on such a faulty premise.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

I still feel a little quibble every time I invest in a new MMO, because I know exactly how intangible the product I'm paying for is, the idea that people are willing to base their entire game collection in a similarly intangible system strikes me as moronic.

Especially considering that I can typically wait a single week after release and order an actual, physical copy of a game from Play for half the price that Steam want for it, and only a little more expensive than it would be if I waited months for Steam to put it on sale.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Origin will never be on my PC I can promise you that. I'd be OK with Origin if EA wasn't deliberately removing their games from Steam. Yes, they have the legal right to do it, but it's dishonest business and it hurts the Steam consumers. So fuck EA and fuck gaming industry as a whole. Every piece of news about gaming industry these past couple of years have been disastrous. What the fuck is the industry turning into? Multiplayer in everything, DRM, DLC, pre-order bonuses, no second hand shopping, dishonest business practices, unparallelled abundance of greed. Fuck everything!

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaayy over here, sitting expectantly with a tub of popcorn.

I've bought a grand total of 2, count 'em, 2 games from Steam, and none from Origin, so this will not affect me in the slightest.

I am hoping it will get violent though.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I don't care. I do have most of my games on Steam but I don't have any issues using Origin if a game requires it.
This EA bashing has gotten beyond silly.

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
Considering EA bans users for saying that they don't like EA on a forum, I'd feel a lot safer from losing my games on steam. But both need to actually sell you the game rather than a licence.

Dec 27, 2010
What I want is for publisher to stop trying to stick their noses into the digital distribution market and just stick to one platform that listens to consumers and let's developers do what ever the hell they want with their games. So yeah, I'm rooting for Steam.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
VALVe is a developer who has made nothing but amazing games, turned TF2 free and supported it once a week for four years. EA is a Godless publisher that cares about money. They see VALVe making mad cash off Steam and decide they must have it. It will never work, because thousands of people already have Steam Accounts and have no need for Origin.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I still dont think origin is intended to be a real digital distribution platform like steam is, Im betting it will really only sell ea games