Poll: Personal Issue with Batman: Arkham City

Golem_the_Golem

Mar 20, 2011
Thats just it though while the gamestops in your area are doing great things like that not everybody is and the more devoted players are going out and getting them all. Now im not saying that in a negative fashion far from it. Just not all of the gamestops are as kind as yours.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
well, I don't mind the skin, it's useless and doesn't really fit in with the aesthetics anyways.

The cat woman dlc though I really think that's a pretty good way to sell the game. If you buy new, you will get something good, if you don't, well you can still pay for it. That's what everyone (I think) is talking about when they want developers/publishers to reward people who buy it new. the catwoman dlc is just a little extra to get people to buy it from the devs to get a bit of money. It doesn't punish those who buy it used either.

HOWEVER the PC version has games for windows live, which, I have had a horrendous experience with and am debating whether I should buy console or PC.

Aug 1, 2010
I'm starting to think that all this senseless boycotting is rationalization for being on a tight budget and therefor being unable to get games...

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
WindScar said:
I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
Well. Good luck with that.

Still is going to be an instant buy for me. I've been waiting for Arkham City, it's coming out, I'm buying it. No I didn't preorder it anywhere. I'm just going to go to a store, and buy it. What's wrong with that? Yeah I'm not gonna get a few skins, but fuck it, I'm here to play Batman.

At least thats how I feel about this. I usually buy games I've been anticipating day 1 brand new anyway.

Iron_Man_977

Jul 21, 2011
for one, while its hard to believe, rocksteady is not made up of alien wizards. they are humans like you and me, and they need things like food to survive, so they are just trying to rake in some cash. also with the skins they are realising the skins later as DLC, so here's what you do: buy from amazon and save about $20 on taxes & shipping (they discount it once it gets above a certian price, and $60 is high enough)then use all the money you saved to get even more skins than you would have by preordering!

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
If people aren't going to bother with the game just because they miss out on some skins or extra challenge maps then I'm sorry but you're just being stupid.

Mooglesniper

Sep 23, 2011
As a person who has not got a live account I find it pretty annoying crap and even a little pisstaking, but I will still GET the game since I love it's combat system, simple story and harley quinn's outfits.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
While it does suck, I would still buy it if I had the money. It sounds like it's going to be great, and the first one was way better than I thought it would be. That and the 9.3's across the board. I'll have to pick it up sometime.

Anyways, remember when you could unlock that cool car skin by entering a cheat code? Yeah, they took that away from us. And I don't buy them because they are small little things I don't care about, but they used to add those things in just for fun :(

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
I would press that you should all consider CDProjecktRED's great game "Witcher 2" which features FREE DLC because they feel that it's the best way to ensure marketing. I guess I am upset that this is my comparison

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Iron_Man_977 said:
for one, while its hard to believe, rocksteady is not made up of alien wizards. they are humans like you and me, and they need things like food to survive, so they are just trying to rake in some cash. also with the skins they are realising the skins later as DLC, so here's what you do: buy from amazon and save about $20 on taxes & shipping (they discount it once it gets above a certian price, and $60 is high enough)then use all the money you saved to get even more skins than you would have by preordering!
Strangely enough if you buy used rocksteady already got payed for that item, they already had a hearty meal from the sales. They put no extra effort or outlay into the game since it was sold once so they should get no extra money when it's sold again.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
WindScar said:
I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
Well. Good luck with that.

Still is going to be an instant buy for me. I've been waiting for Arkham City, it's coming out, I'm buying it. No I didn't preorder it anywhere. I'm just going to go to a store, and buy it. What's wrong with that? Yeah I'm not gonna get a few skins, but fuck it, I'm here to play Batman.

At least thats how I feel about this. I usually buy games I've been anticipating day 1 brand new anyway.
That used to be true for me, but no longer, I found out that I should have demands for the supplier as well, not just for myself. It doesn't make sense to anyone, and it's not going to affect sales, but it's a personal thing.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cookyy2k said:
Iron_Man_977 said:
Strangely enough if you buy used rocksteady already got payed for that item, they already had a hearty meal from the sales. They put no extra effort or outlay into the game since it was sold once so they should get no extra money when it's sold again.
So if 500 people buy the game new and 500,000 more people just borrow/buy the game from those first 500 people, all Rocksteady deserves from the game are those first 500 sales? (Obviously they'll sell more than that, but you see my point)

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
Rawne1980 said:
You need a "I won't be buying it anyway" choice.

They pushed back the PC release until November but that month, and the following few months, are all booked up with Skyrim by witch time i'll have forgotten all about Batman.
Oh yeah, I'm sorry about that, I figured everyone were getting it, you know, being a generalizing asshole and all :) (me, that is)

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I'll agree about retailer exclusive bonuses. That trend needs to die. People who preorder the collector's edition of a game shouldn't be missing content just because they didn't preorder from five different vendors. That's the whole idea behind a collector's edition, after all.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
MysticToast said:
Tell me, OP. Did you complain when Soul Calibur II (I believe it was II) had three different exclusive characters depending on which console you bought it for?
I actually did.

ElectrifiedSorcerer

Apr 8, 2011
Honestly, when I clicked the title I assumed you had some legitimate grievance with the game. I think it would be more accurate if you titled your post 'Personal Issue with Warner Brothers'.

However, I do find it ridiculous for the publisher to try and milk consumers for extra cash for these extras. Pre-order bonuses should be physical items, like a T-shirt or a figurine.

Still, I think this issue with an irresponsible publisher that shouldn't affect your purchase. If you want to protest the publishers, stick to digital distribution

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:
Iron_Man_977 said:
So if 500 people buy the game new and 500,000 more people just borrow/buy the game from those first 500 people, all Rocksteady deserves from the game are those first 500 sales? (Obviously they'll sell more than that, but you see my point)
How are 500 new sales going to produce 500k used sales and rentals unless it is a terribly short game with zero replay value or just a crap game no one wants to play leading to a very quick turn around time? If that is the case then yes, they only deserve the 500 sales.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
Buying it used to 'stick it to the man'?

I'd be willing to bet money that you'll eventually cave and buy the DLC to play as Catwoman if you do that so that you can play the game 'complete'. Plus, who gives a shit about PURELY COSMETIC SKINS THAT ADD NOTHING TO THE FUCKING GAME.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
I personally wasn't a huge fan of the first game, but I liked it. But personally I put Arkham City on the "When I Can Get it for $20" list from announcement. As for the skins, they're usually available on PSN after a few months. It's not really EXCLUSIVE content, just exclusive release content. You pre-order from one place, you get one skin, then you have to buy the rest. Like God of War 3.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
cookyy2k said:
Kopikatsu said:
cookyy2k said:
Iron_Man_977 said:
How are 500 new sales going to produce 500k used sales and rentals unless it is a terribly short game with zero replay value or just a crap game no one wants to play leading to a very quock turn around time? If that is the case then yes, they only deserve the 500 sales.
Because used sales don't just stop at second hand. One person gives it to a friend, who sells it to another person, who trades it in at a video game retailer who sells it to someone else and so on. That's just one copy. You don't even have to get that complicated. You could just go 'Buy it new, trade it in, retailer sells it, that person trades it back, retailer sells it again, etc'

Also, it doesn't matter how awesome a game is. It could be so mind blowingly epic that it will literally melt faces. A vast majority of people who own the game will still give it away/sell it/let friends borrow it. No game lasts forever. And let's be honest here- It's a single player game with no multiplayer and a linear story. I'm sure it'll be awesome and I'm actually heading over to Gamestop in four hours to grab my copy, but I'm not expecting the game to last me for months or anything.