Poll: Personal Issue with Batman: Arkham City

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
the OP of this thread is exercising his/her right not to purchase something and that is cool, I do not care what thier reason is.

Me, I preordered it from Amazon cause I want to play the game, period. I STILL play arkham asylum on occasion. so as scummy as the DLC practices are, since they did not directly affect me (IE I was gonna buy it new anyway) I felt no need to hand down what pithy punishment I could by not buying.

both are awesome because nothing compells either of us to make our choices but our own free will.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.
No. Wrong. Catwoman is a bonus downloadable pack not included on the disc (about 250MB).
That's not wrong, you just said I was wrong, even though you said exactly what I did. Kinda childish, bro.
I fail to see where you are correct. You stated that you have to 'unlock' Catwoman with a code, I said you have to 'download' Catwoman separate from the game.

Two totally different things bro.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
No. Wrong. Catwoman is a bonus downloadable pack not included on the disc (about 250MB).
That's not wrong, you just said I was wrong, even though you said exactly what I did. Kinda childish, bro.
I fail to see where you are correct. You stated that you have to 'unlock' Catwoman with a code, I said you have to 'download' Catwoman separate from the game.

Are you retarded, bro? Unlocking == Downloading with a code included in the game. You are just arrognat and refuse to say you were wrong now, bro.
No, Mercury is right. Unlocking would imply that Catwoman is on the disk and the code just gets you the key.

You actually have to download Catwoman because she isn't on the disk.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:
MercurySteam said:
WindScar said:

Are you retarded, bro? Unlocking == Downloading with a code included in the game. You are just arrognat and refuse to say you were wrong now, bro.
No, Mercury is right. Unlocking would imply that Catwoman is on the disk and the code just gets you the key.

You actually have to download Catwoman because she isn't on the disk.
I never said she was.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
WindScar said:
Hello fellow Escapees.
Recently, I have seen what is going on with Arkham City, and I have decided not to buy it.

(1)I was a huge fan of the original game, it was great and I felt real joy when City was announced, but now I see that they are doing just about everything to the game that I hate.

(2)They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes

(3)And as if that wasn't bad enough for me, they also said that if you bought it used, you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.

I don't know about you guys, but this business model speaks only "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT" to me, and I despise it. I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?
(1) Were you a big Batman fan or just a big fan of the first game? Either way games are changing every time they make a sequel, if they don't we get POS games like Gears.

(2) It was a marketing gimmick and it does NOT affect the game what so ever. Honestly, that is a really piss poor excuse not to get a game. So your character looks different when you play but game-play itself is the same...if you REALLY need to have all the skins you might want to talk to someone about your obsession issue. HUGE FANATICS would have an issue with this yes, but that is about 3% of people to my knowledge.

(3) And? Many games have done this, story wise there is nothing changed since you are buying BATMAN Arkham City, so you still play as BATMAN and follow BATMAN's story. Just some achievements (means nothing to me, over hyped marketing gimmick now) may not be unlocked but it is one of the few things companies do that I approve to make players buy a game new. Want this special weapon/character or see a new area that adds 2 hours of gameplay? Buy the game new, want it but bought it used? Pay for it.

My opinion...you are over reacting to something that is really nothing. Buy it new, buy it used, if you are just buying it for Catwomen spend the extra $5 currently to get it new and have her in it...I really didn't care much about having her in it but then again I am not a big fan of either one. Just an interesting game with a decent story to it.

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
I don't really agree with the skins, but I do with Catwoman. (Weirdest sentance I have ever typed in my life.) Skins are a bonus, they are asthetic, they have no true value in gameplay. Catwoman, I assume, is different to play then Batman, or at least has differing animations. This DOES affect gameplay. They are removing an experience rather then adding to it.

On an unrelated note: I bought Arkham Asylumn yesterday! My local stores who throw out pretty well everything if it's a year old have stocked up on them for Arkham City! Fucking Epic.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
NotSoLoneWanderer said:
Hey they gotta make money somehow...
Either you go for mountaisn of DLC, or online passes, not both, that's a massive dick move. They WILL release the costumes as DLC later.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
WindScar said:
I would press that you should all consider CDProjecktRED's great game "Witcher 2" which features FREE DLC because they feel that it's the best way to ensure marketing. I guess I am upset that this is my comparison
Don't take this the wrong way...but you sound like the kind of person whom buys cereal for the free toy instead of taste/health benefits.

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
Virmire said:
I don't really agree with the skins, but I do with Catwoman. (Weirdest sentance I have ever typed in my life.) Skins are a bonus, they are asthetic, they have no true value in gameplay. Catwoman, I assume, is different to play then Batman, or at least has differing animations. This DOES affect gameplay. They are removing an experience rather then adding to it.

On an unrelated note: I bought Arkham Asylumn yesterday! My local stores who throw out pretty well everything if it's a year old have stocked up on them for Arkham City! Fucking Epic.
You play 4 missions as her, that's it. You don't play the GAME as her and you hear what she does regardless. Its kind of like seeing what your neighbor did while you worked.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
They don't get your money, why should you get all the content? Hell, it's not even main content, it's stuff on the side.

Sounds like a fair trade to me, but I would say that, because I buy all my games new.

And pre-order skins? Meh, I don't really care about how my character looks while doing the freakin' challenge modes.
Hear hear. I always buy new. Sometimes stores have amazing sales for new games. Why not look for some sales instead of bitching about the lack of boobs in a game or bitching about online passes(I love them by the way).

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
KaiserKnight said:
Virmire said:

You play 4 missions as her, that's it. You don't play the GAME as her and you hear what she does regardless. Its kind of like seeing what your neighbor did while you worked.
I see. Can you free-roam as her, or are there boundaries for the missions?

KaiserKnight

Jul 2, 2011
Virmire said:
KaiserKnight said:
Virmire said:

I see. Can you free-roam as her, or are there boundaries for the missions?
From what I have seen you can somewhat free-roam, some areas are 'off limits' since you are in a building doing this or can't reach them since you do not have a grappling hook or the right equipment. You have her whip to get you some areas but that's not the same.

Kiyotaki

Dec 21, 2010
I already got it and I see where this is comming from its been done for a long time. If they are going to do what fallout did then just wait for a while to get all the skins online, also its called Batman Arkham city so no need to be obsessed with playing as catwoman

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
WindScar said:
Hello fellow Escapees.
Recently, I have seen what is going on with Arkham City, and I have decided not to buy it.

I was a huge fan of the original game, it was great and I felt real joy when City was announced, but now I see that they are doing just about everything to the game that I hate.

They demand pre-ordering from diffrent places for the diffrent skins. I.E you would have to pre-order it from 6 diffrent places to get all the costumes

And as if that wasn't bad enough for me, they also said that if you bought it used, you would have to pay to unlock Catwoman as a playable character.

I don't know about you guys, but this business model speaks only "CASH NOW, DO EVERYTHING TO GET IT" to me, and I despise it. I will be buying it used, just because it's my own personal "FUCK YOU!" to the business model.

Thoughts?

I agree with you on the Catwoman thing.

The bit about the alternate skins isn't as valid a complaint.

See, the alternate skins aren't part of the game, they are comissioned by the video game retailers to encourage people to pre-order from them. It's not a gimmick from the company to get people to buy six differant copies or anything so ridiculous.

Gamestop and Amazon are competitors, they know that the initial sales period is the strongest for games. Both want people to order from them instead of the other guy. They each go to the publisher and say "hey, I will pay you to create some minor extra content to encourage people to buy from me as opposed to the other guy". The game publishers don't favor one source over another, they just develop a little extra content based on what they are paid, which has nothing to do with the core game.

The idea being that if you like say Gamestop's benefits better than what Amazon is offering, you'll buy from them instead.

That said, the thing with Catwoman is an entirely differant thing as we're dealing with an entire playable character with a complete move set, and even her own post-game challenges and such. That's pure greed on the part of the game developers who are trying to cut into used game sales, and ultimatly devalueing the product your paying $60 for since the unlock fee means your not going to be able to trade it in for as much asince the stores have to keep that fee in mind.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Abandon4093 said:
No, they're doing it right. They're trying to combat second hand games with additional rewards. It isn't going to hamper your enjoyment of the game because you can't play as catwoman or TAS batman. They aren't removing major content like multiplayer or missions. They're giving an aesthetic bonus to the people that buy the game firsthand.

This is the kind of marketing strategy I'm fine with.
This^

Ninja'd me thought boxes mate.

But yeah, if it were a matter of withholding game mechanics or even parts of the game (levels, bosses, fun shit like that) then I'd be kinda pissed, but it's just costumes, it's worthless aesthetic stuff that has no real effect on gameplay.

So yeah they aren't being dicks, they're just ensuring proffit by course of rewards to those who decide to endorse them through purchase... nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Skins I see no issue with but Catwomen part is just awful. If Catwomen wasn't a selling point of game they advertised a lot then I wouldn't care. However since they used Catwomen as a selling point they are in wrong to sell it to person if they buy used. Partially though one has to blame the stupid marketing department that marketed Catwomen as selling point. Unless they purposely did Catwomen as selling point in order to trick people into buying it used then getting there money out of them.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
Who cares? It's Batman Arkham Asylum, not Catwoman's Pretty Shiny Dress-up Dolls. If the basic game is as great as it appears to be, costumes and Catwoman are not important.

Judge the base game on its own merits, and don't worry about collecting every costume.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
I will still get it, as beyond some marketing mess ups it still looks to be a good game, though the catwoman thing does annoy me, its more cause its already on the disc so theyre basically saying "pay us more for what youve already paid for" with no real gain like with dlc.
Also, i dont have a psn account, so its worthless for me even if i did bother paying for it as id need to go online to unlock it, makes me wonder why its even on the disc in the first place...

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I don't think skins are that bad. Who cares.
As for playing as Catwoman, I'd surely miss out on that...but I think that's a good thing to use as an anti-preowned purchase technique. It's something the game can survive without, but is a cool enough aspect that it might convince people to buy new. Fair enough, I don't think it should stop you buying the game.