Poll: Picketing the Future Funeral of Fred Phelps (Leader of the Westboro Baptist Church)

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Nope. I figure it's more insulting to completely ignore the hateful bigot's life so his family doesn't get any satisfaction out of knowing that his message reached the ears of anyone besides their twisted clan.

Dejawesp

May 5, 2008
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and how will you ever be able to claim that you're better than him when you do exactly what he does?

Such an American thing to do.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I wouldn't go, but I'd be glad to see it happen even if I won't admit it.

...wait, damn.

ruthie

Aug 24, 2009
DracoSuave said:
I expect a rational individual to respond to her, asking if she believes Phelps died because 'God hates bigots'.
Unfortunately, she'd probably twist it to "No, he died because God was so happy with his faithful service that He wanted him to come up to Heaven for his reward." Reason will not work for these people.

That said, I propose the following:
- Inform the Phelps family of any homosexuals/bisexuals/transsexuals/jews/people who had sex before marriage buried in the cemetery ol' Freddie is buried in. Emphasize how lovely these people were in life and how lucky Fred is to have them as neighbours :D
- Turn up with rainbow signs saying "Sorry for your loss", "We're here for you" and other such sentiments

I'm sure there's other stuff that can be done, but it escapes me at present.

Remember gang: Kill it with kindness. If it doesn't work, you're not using enough kindness :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I can't speak for everyone, but while I think it'd be a fitting end for Phelps, I refuse to lower myself to his level.

When fighting douchebags, be sure you do not become one yourself.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ruthie said:
Unfortunately, she'd probably twist it to "No, he died because God was so happy with his faithful service that He wanted him to come up to Heaven for his reward." Reason will not work for these people.:D
Kinda like how a hurricane hitting the Northeast is a message from God, but a hurricane hitting the Bible Belt is just a hurricane.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Think of the message that would be spread if we simply let him fade from history. Technically nothing. But the alternative, if we picket, is that he goes down in the history books and people might even look up to him. Do we really want this guy to have a lasting legacy?

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
I said yeah, it was not the best reaction, but it was my intial instinct. I would turn up with a sign saying "God hates the buried dead as they will rise again, cremation is the way to go!" with a mega phone shouting, burn the bury "ers".

Guess that's about as stupid as what they do.

EDIT: missed out that "not" the first time around :/

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
They are a group of trolls. The only course of action to take with trolls is ignoring them because I doubt that the US moderators will get around to preventing their posts.

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Dejawesp said:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and how will you ever be able to claim that you're better than him when you do exactly what he does?

HUMAN
I think the word you were looking for is "human." Yeally, if you want to start a pissing contest, go to the Religion and Politics forum.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
We shouldn't. And when they're complaining that we didn't, we can simply say "That's because we're not evil."

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
As many have said. Let that jackass pass into the cold dark nothing without so much as a whisper.

A Concerned Spoon

Apr 3, 2011
Guys, guys... This is the WBC we are talking about, they'll probably honor the guy by picketing his own funeral.

Imagine a funeral, it is raining, everyone is in black holding black umbrellas. Now replace those umbrellas with picket signs. That's the cartoonish way I think of a WBC funeral.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
No, not because it's morally wrong (causing them any kind of distress is instantly a good thing), but because it's pointless and it'll probably be what they want, the same way all of the people "counter-protesting" them at ComiCon were giving them exactly what they wanted for the sake of a circle-jerk.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Nah, don't picket. Throw a party outside celebrating his death. With strippers. and booze. and more strippers. and more booze. and a massive bbq. and as much other 'immoral' stuff as possible.

DRes82

Apr 9, 2009
Dejawesp said:

Of course someone would say that. Such a whiny, spiteful, non-American thing to do to assume that everyone here would be for a silly revenge funeral protest.

OT: like many others here, my knee-jerk reaction to the question was yes, it would be fun to go and upset his family and loved ones at his funeral like he's done to so many others who didn't deserve it. That would just be giving WBC fuel, however, and they would continue doing what they do. Probably with more resolve. So no, it would be best just to ignore the whole thing. Hopefully the bastard will die sooner than later.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
This is one of those, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'd giggle if I saw it type moments, (See Russell Howard on the grim reaper)

I personally don't think it's all that fair to say "you did it to us, revenge time" since I don't really believe in that concept.
However, I wouldn't condemn the families of the fallen whos' funerals were picketed going and doing the same, but at the end of the day... why? what does it achieve?
It's just a circle of hatred that you can't break out of doing things like this =/
If his funeral gets picketed, the followers will do more of the same.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ajemas said:
I was thinking of doing this 2 months ago. My answer is yes. And before I get any of this "lowering ourselves to their level" bull that I'll eventually get, I'll explain why.

This guy leads a group of people to pickets military funerals because "god hates America for allowing gays and is killing soldiers the punishment." They've had a family within the church disown one of their children for questioning the faith they believe in. They have children that aren't even 10 years old holding signs that say, "God Hates Fags". (And the mods better not give me a warning for the use of the word 'fag' in this instance. I know they've been a bit jumpy lately but this is a serious topic.) They only do this ludacris crap to get attention. They add even more grief to families that have lost soldiers, and the LGBT community every chance they get.

Hell, I think there should be a petition right now to get as many people as possible to protest his funeral. Hell, we should 'occupy' their church for a week or two afterwards.

And to those who say,
canadamus_prime said:
No, we don't want to lower ourselves to his level. We are better than that aren't we? Best to just stay away from them.
We lower ourselves everyday by allowing that kind of extreme homophobia to happen on such a scale.

We lower ourselves every time we allow them to intrude upon an event of mourning that's supposed to be for a person who died protecting their country, a country that the Westboro Baptist Church resides in.

It's not lowering ourselves to act against these idiots. It's punishment long overdue. And I for one fully support this idea.

It's not about being the better person at this point. It's about teaching a lesson to the remaining members of Phelps' church. It's to teach a lesson to the children, who's parents teach them to commit such despicable acts, that this kind of crap should not and will not be tolerated when they grow up.

It's about showing the LGBT community that not everyone is just going to merely shake their head and go "tsk tsk" at situations like one the Westboro Baptist Church and go about their day.

And if showing people that I don't stand for that crap makes me less of a person then

Public figures like news reporters and radio show hosts can get fired in the U.S. for saying something that has racial undertones, but when a group of people take their kids to go gay bashing no one wants to do a damn thing. That sickens me. At least here in Canada we arrested them for trying that crap and told them they weren't welcome anymore.

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
As irresistable as it is, we shouldn't picket his funeral.

That would only bring us down to their level