Poll: Poll: Did you complete Skyrim's main quest?

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I did it on two different characters so yea. It definitely wasn't the first thing I did though. Usually I play main quest till I unlock Fus Ro Dah, then fuck around, then get bored and finish it.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Oooooh yeeeah there's a main quest. Heh erm, Maybe I should get around to that some time.

Seriously though I tried doing the Dragon Born story once. Made a kick ass Orc and was doing fine until I got to Riften which is when the game throws the illusion of role playing out the window and forces you to "break character" and get on the good side of the thieves(Because we all know any self respecting Orc would never steel) which then just totally had me disenchanted with the game and had me wash my hands of it. Only to be craving it two months later.

Other than that the furthest I have gone is Killing the first Dragon.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I usually try to avoid completing the main quest in this kind of games for as long as possible because I tend to lose interest in playing very quickly without a 'higher purpose'.

Apocalyptore

Mar 28, 2011
I had the game for about a week before the lag made it impossible to play (this was WAY back in January, I think. Before the patch that fixed the lag hit the PS3).
I entirely lost track of the main quest maybe ten minutes in. From then on I only continued it by accident.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
No, I got way too bored.

It's fun as a dungeon crawler, but as a serious RPG it's kind of a dud.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
I'm surprised how many people I've heard of that have just made on character and done everything with them.

My first playthrough, I was a redguard weaponsmaster who believed in justice (yes, I roleplay when I play). I completed the main quest and the Companions quests, and any side quest that involved killing someone "evil".

Second playthrough I was an evil altmer mage. Completed main quests, Winterhold and Imperial quests (in retrospect, the Imperials seem a lot better than Stormcloaks - really I should have done their quests with this guy). I did any magic based side quests (i.e. Daedra),

Third playthrough was a khajiit thief who later became an assassin. He did something if he felt that there was a profit in it. With him I completed the main quests, Thieves Guild, and Dark Brotherhood, as well as any treasure hunting side quests. He was also my only character to reach above level 50.

All in all, pre-Dawnguard, I probably but about 200 - 250 hours into the game, and it took me to around January time to do everything.

jackinmydaniels

Jul 12, 2012
I kept getting side tracked by all that delicious side content. But I managed to hammer it out after about oh sixty hours or so.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
I played through the game like mad but got very few quests done. I spend to much time selling, buying, enchanting, crafting, and sneaking around for no good reason. I haven't played for a long time though and when I try I can't seem to get back into it even though it appeals to me.

Stormcloak117

Jul 17, 2012
Along with the civil war, I make the main quest last a very long time. In game it took my character two years to defeat Alduin and A year and a half to defeat the Empire. In truth its for my own pleaure.

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
Wow, I thought It took me a while but reading this thread makes me see I was actually quite fast :D. I can't remember the time I did it but I just bought the game and only have 50 hrs game time so I did it in under 50 hrs. I was a level 26 at the time, I remember that. The recommendation is level 24 for a reasonable difficulty in the final quest and no higher than level 35 if you want it to have any challenge at all.

Link90

Aug 10, 2009
Replaying it for Dawnguard (pc version) doing all optinal quests first i.e. artifact quests guild quests dragon priest masks (except the one within the main quest just so I dont get board with the game too fast=). But as far as when it first came out I did not do the main quest right away it will always be the same but I still do have a problem with the civil war quests whitch is better?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I finished it pretty quickly. The only reason it wasn't the first questline I finished was because the Mages College questline was PATHETICALLY short. Main quest was my priority in my first playthrough.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Finished it, but I'd done practically everything else of note beforehand. Was thoroughly disappointed in the main plotline. It just didn't seem to understand how to tell that story. It's sad really, I mean look at the faction quests. In those, the writers understood that things had to get worse for the turnaround at the conclusion to mean anything.

Specifically, the Thieves Guild revealed Mercer's betrayal, coupled it with him robbing the guild blind, and he always seemed a step ahead of you until that final confrontation. The Dark Brotherhood's sanctuary got burned down and all but destroyed before you could actually complete the kill that would make their names feared again, to say nothing of the fact that both of the aforementioned groups were in a serious slump when you found them. The Companions had Jorvaskyr ransacked and their harbinger killed, the Mage College lost its archmage and the villain almost destroyed the world with some very visibly chaotic magic beyond anyone's control...

And then we get the main questline, which starts off at a low point, has you steadily gain ground...and then you kill Alduin. Wait...what? It's like the Rising Action ended when Delphine showed you where the dragons were coming from. After that it just didn't feel like tensions were rising anymore. And it certainly didn't help matters that so few people were ultimately involved in the final conflict. It didn't really feel like the rest of the world cared about it.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I haven't, but I have played the game a massive amount. I lost my Internet connection less than a month ago and wanted to play Skyrim but unfortunately even when I wanted to play it in Offline mode it would demand that it be updated and as a result it wouldn't load up. I could have played much more of the game otherwise :(

I wonder if my mods still work for it...

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
It was the last thing I did, other than getting married. I also did a fairly large number of side quests, visited every town, and completed the assassins, champions, mages and thieves quests. Finished that playthrough on the 99-hour mark.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Obviously I did do it in the end, I just got sidetracked by other meaningless quests along the way. That's pretty much what TES games are all about.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
It varied by character. On my first time I finished the main quest comparatively early (based on the previous responses) by just keeping up on it in front of other quest lines (like the various guild quest lines). On other characters after I sometimes ignored it completely, or set it on the agenda after very long guild quests or personal ambitions. Like my devoted thief didn't bother with it until the guild had been fully restored and I was ridiculously wealthy with major real estate holdings across the realm. My high mage was obviously more concerned with spell mastery, but considered shouts a part of that, so I set out to learn them all before completing the main quest, which took awhile - well, that and mastering alchemy on the side. My Nords though, the warriors, are typically all about doing the bidding of the Greybeards as soon as possible in a very devoted manner, taking time aside only to become epic leaders of the Companions.

Apr 5, 2008
I jumped in and out of the story here and there, but mostly only took it so far as getting Dragon Rend for convenience's sake.

Preferring to explore, I did a lot of side missions but mostly followed the guild questlines foremost. Did Assassin's, Thieves, Companions and Mages guild quest lines in their entirety, did the Civil War missions (particularly poignant after completing Assassin's guild end quests) as an Imperial recruit. I made a point of hunting down every dragon wall, finding some great artefacts, battles and places along the way. Did most of the Daedric shrines too I believe.

All in, took me about 100hrs to complete the vast majority of the game. I'm sure there are a few things left undone but all the major stuff I played, except the Bard's College...must do that next time. Now I'm having a bit more fun with modding it (I've created a Chinese Stealth Suit and a bow with unlimited ammo already), and will have a second playthru with Dawnguard in a month or two.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
I've had Skyrim since launch day and only finished the main quest just before Dawnguard was released.